• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Is High-Rise Invasion Any Good?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Farafra

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:28 pm Reply with quote
No. But it's a pretty fun s#!tshow.
anime-prime

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Thank you reviewers for writing such an entertaining review.

I agree with Steve 100%. This series was really fun. Did it have the best writing, NO! But whether intentional or not, it was hilarious. Never boring and tons to laugh at. I was cracking up almost every episode from the sheer ridiculousness. Definitely the most fun to watch anime of 2021 so far for me. I am really looking forward to season 2, and not even to see how it ends, but to find out how many more panty-shots and stupid mask names they will attempt to squeeze in, haha.
Taiyz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:58 pm Reply with quote
I've definitely started unironically looking forward to the next Netflix schlock anime. I feel like their original series' have reached a ratio of almost 50/50 when it comes to being something legitimately great or an unabashed dumpster delight, and it's certainly become a guilty pleasure to wade through the latter (though there are a few that are just so rote or underwhelming I can't justify watching them with the so-bad-it's-funny mindset.)

I'd definitely agree with Steve's opinion, personally I'd describe it as a mix of Highschool of the Dead and Future Diary (for the record, big fan of HotD, liked the concept for Future Diary but hated the cast.) If you're not squeamish and can tolerate some trashy fanservice (or better yet, can see the humour in the shlock), I think I'd call High Rise Invasion my favourite Netflix B-anime. The writing might be cliche and hammy, but the characters are entertaining and you definitely want to see how things unfold, which I can't say for some of Netflix's other shows.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WizardOfOss

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:20 pm Reply with quote
I've read the first 2 volumes of the manga, so I knew what to expect: silly story, a lot of violence and even more panty shots. However, the first episode was quite the disappointment: not so much because the violence and panty shots were toned down a bit (yes, really...), but more because of how much of the manga was covered in those first 24 minutes: 23 chapters, or over 260 pages! That's just madness. Obviously a lot was cut, maybe not much stuff that's important to the story, but it sure did help building Yuri's character. It actually took her some time to adapt to the gruesome reality she's in now, but most of that was left out. Which made that first episode feel very rushed and unbalanced.

But as a result, most of what happens beyond that was entirely new to me, so I can't make any more comparisons with the manga. That feeling never really returned though, the show actually quickly grew on me. And in the end I enjoyed it much more than I ever expected. It is silly schlock, but it knows it and really goes with it. I just hope we get a second season anytime soon...
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Well, this sounds just like the type of trash entertainment I could dial to when I want to turn my brains off for the evening and not think about anything. I remember having seen the manga floating around on the internet, but just reading the synopsis was enough so I haven't checked a single chapter. I also get a feeling, for no particular reason, that the manga takes itself much more [far too] seriously, which would make it objectively worse.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:48 pm Reply with quote
I remember reading some chapters of these some years ago, it's the manga with more panty-shoots per page I have ever read.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:24 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't call this show "good", but... yeah, I need to see how it ends. I hope this gets a second season.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:03 am Reply with quote
I've been seeing advertisements for the manga here and there and I always told myself I'd read it one day and boy am I glad I didn't because I really enjoyed going into the anime completely blind.

I really am with steve on this, it's such a stupid show. But gosh darn it, is it fun. The introduction with the policeman is priceless, I need to bookmark that.

Though it's not all sunshine and rainbows, I have a lot of criticism for the show. The dialogue is corny, they immediately abandoned the 'drive people to suicide' in the beginning, the way power-ups from the masks work, etc.

BUT as long as the series doesn't degenerate too much or rather does it at a steady pace I'm ok with ignoring or rather hand waving away the faults because it really is just funny.

I didn't realize Mayuko's mask had different panties but I lost it when Yuri suddenly lost all her clothes like some sort of magical girl transformation that stopped before you know putting on the costume.

Most of the characters are such a treat, they're all so hammy and with the exception of the spear guy they all just do their thing and peace out.

Sniper mask is definitely my favourite character, you can just tell that everything he does is just to look 'cool' I hope there's a story to him taking up smoking cause he thought it'd make him cool. Yuri on the other hand kinda reminds me of Naruto. She's an idiot 95% of the time but when a fight breaks out she's suddenly super-competent though not immune to silly mistakes.

I really want to read the manga now but I don't know if I should hold out and wait and see if there's going to be a season 2 soon because a lot of the entertainment came from seeing things for the first time. If I know what's going to happen from reading the manga beforehand it won't be as effective and for a series as silly as this effectiveness is everything.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:54 am Reply with quote
I remember reading some of this like 4-5 years ago. I think it was a webcomic at some point? I seem to recall that the chapters were very short which when read together gave it a sense of momentum, that was probably one of the few good things about it. I eventually dropped it, because I think I got a little bored with its antics. Yeah, it was hot trash but I could see how some people might get a kick out of it and it could definitely be someone's guilty pleasure kind of thing. I think the manga ended like 2 years ago maybe, so I'm totally surprised that this got greenlit for an anime.

I'm about 5 episodes in and 12 episodes seems to be the right amount, anymore and it might get tiresome. Its not quite up there with HotD, that show still makes me laugh to this day and I'm not a big fan of fan service. If violence, gore, fan service or ridiculous characters bother you then this is not the show for you. Is this a good show? No. Am I entertained? Somewhat, enough to probably make it to ep 12. Will I remember this in a year? Probably not, but that's ok sometimes I like to watch something like Utena and other times some mindless violence will do (as long as it doesn't get too squicky and this has not passed that line for me).
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:03 am Reply with quote
It's schlock.

That's not a bad thing per se, shlock gets something of a bad rap by its existence, but popcorn films, ---plotation, etc, all exist, and if done right can be rather entertaining. This is much in that same vein, a vein that for better or for worse, sort of identified what we got at first from Japan, what formed the stereotype of anime back in the day.

Netflix having frequent success with titles like this, on top of getting the rights to that CG Gantz movie is also why I expect them to make an anime out of Gigant eventually (same author as Gantz).
Suxinn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:38 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed the manga of this, and it was one of the few series I kept up with consistently via Manga Box (while the whole service steadily went down the tubes, but I digress). I actually ended up really enjoying it, for much the same reason Steve seems to be enjoying the anime: it's trashy, but the fun kind of trashy that I can get behind. And the panty shots were even more ridiculous via Manga Box since they had to censor them with these big, awkward black boxes in order to get the app on the playstore/app store, so it was even more of an unintentionally hilarious aside to the whole thing.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:35 pm Reply with quote
This makes me think it's a bit of a crossover between Btooom, and Najica Blitz Tactics. Battle to the death meets constant panty shots.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:26 am Reply with quote
Girls, guns, and pantsu. What goes round, comes round. Laughing
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:17 am Reply with quote
Bruce Campbell would approve
Key

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
This makes me think it's a bit of a crossover between Btooom, and Najica Blitz Tactics. Battle to the death meets constant panty shots.

I wouldn't have come up with that cross-over myself, but that is reasonably accurate.

Just finished the series myself, and I am decidedly in Steve's camp on this one as well. Though it took a while to grow on me, by the end it was one of the most entertaining bits of dumb, schlocky fun that I have seen recently. I will absolutely watch more if more is made and might even look forward to it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2