• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - How to Watch Back Arrow for Dummies

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:25 am Reply with quote
I don't know if it's because this winter season is fully stacked or the show looks goofy as heck even for audiences today, but man it is hard to get some peeps to talk about Back Arrow! I wonder if this would have gotten more fanfare if a more recognized animation studio like Studio Trigger doing this could have gotten this more attention.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:49 am Reply with quote
I'm wondering if it's going to get a dub. The lack of one is definitely reducing the talking about it.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:13 am Reply with quote
This review made me interested. Going to watch it now.
merr

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:14 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
This review made me interested. Going to watch it now.

Same here. Can’t believe I missed this one until now.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:00 pm Reply with quote
A cool stupid smart show that reminds me of Eden's Bowy and I'm not just saying that just to plug Eden's Bowy... I'm mostly just saying that to plug Eden's Bowy as I don't get many opportunities to plug it. Small group of heroes caught between two absurd nation states. One has those "dumb two guys" straight out of absurdist theater like Waiting for Godot or Rosencratz and Guildenstern... the other has them combined into Back Arrow.

This explains why Back isn't the hero, he can't be. Back's the token idiot who has to argue with himself because he only can ever be beside himself. I wouldn't be surprised if Back wants to get over the Wall because he's looking for his smarter yet dumber half.

There's also some excuse mechs but they literally could be anything so it's best just to ignore them until the plot explains Conviction.
John the Dark Lord

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:48 pm Reply with quote
I think this is the idea behind the MC getting new powers every episode: Those Mecha get their powers from the conviction of their pilot, with the nature of the conviction defining what kind of power it gets. Since Back Arrow has no conviciton, his Mecha is like a blank canvas, and we all know what they say about blank canvas: you can paint them any color you want. That's why its powers are whatever the MC wants them to be.

Yeah, that's not the most logical reasoning, but what part of this show is?
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm sad that you talked about the mad doctor and his chorus without making an "operating theater" joke
jroa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:11 pm Reply with quote
I've been enjoying the show a lot myself, but it's a rather lonely experience at the moment.

Which is why it's good to see there are some more people who can appreciate Back Arrow.

There's a lot of intentionally aiming for silliness here, which I personally find to be highly amusing, and it works for me since they do put some thought into other aspects of the show. That said, they are definitely leaving a lot of mysteries in the air for the second half, so we'll have to see how those revelations turn out and where the story will head next.

Man...why is the series so underwatched and underappreciated though?

I'd say a mix of the production values not being stellar (there's some very nice 3D mecha animation though) and the storytelling following an older style of narrative does limit the appeal, since it's not attempting to ride the popular trends of the 2020s or even 2010s.
DanMatcha

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:34 am Reply with quote
I’m honestly surprised this got daily streaming reviews. Almost no one is talking about it, and it seems the few who are watching it aren’t giving it great reviews. It only has a 5.76 rating on MyAnimeList. The opening by LiSA is great though.
jroa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:32 am Reply with quote
#904087 wrote:
I’m honestly surprised this got daily streaming reviews. Almost no one is talking about it, and it seems the few who are watching it aren’t giving it great reviews. It only has a 5.76 rating on MyAnimeList..

This is such a terrible, lazy argument because all MAL average scores reflect is current popularity among the particular type of people who use that platform. It's not meant to be a truly representative sample, let alone a neutral instrument of measurement.

There's a cumulative backlash effect at work too, in the sense that a lot of folks who would not be remotely interested in this type of series have already dropped it, but their low scores are still being counted in the average. Which isn't fair, but it's a big factor.

I am old enough to know that a lack of popularity does not always equal a lack of quality either. It simply means the end product doesn't interest many people, for one reason or another, but that shouldn't determine whether you may personally enjoy something.

Conversely, high popularity on such websites also does not always equal high quality. It's all relative and subjective. A lot of bad movies get high audience scores and make huge profits.

That said, I could point to the audience scores for Back Arrow on Nicovideo.jp as another kind of metric in comparison. Those are arguably somewhat more relevant and informative, since they reflect what the folks watching the weekly streams thought about each individual episode. They had mixed reactions at first, but the weekly scores have gone up over time.

If you actually wish to discuss the contents of this anime, I think this ANN article does a good job of explaining a few reasons for why it's possible to watch and enjoy the show. It doesn't guarantee you will personally do so, of course, but it's hardly impossible.
DanMatcha

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:37 am Reply with quote
jroa wrote:
#904087 wrote:
I’m honestly surprised this got daily streaming reviews. Almost no one is talking about it, and it seems the few who are watching it aren’t giving it great reviews. It only has a 5.76 rating on MyAnimeList..

This is such a terrible, lazy argument because all MAL average scores reflect is current popularity among the particular type of people who use that platform. It's not meant to be a truly representative sample, let alone a neutral instrument of measurement.

There's a cumulative backlash effect at work too, in the sense that a lot of folks who would not be remotely interested in this type of series have already dropped it, but their low scores are still being counted in the average. Which isn't fair, but it's a big factor.

I am old enough to know that a lack of popularity does not always equal a lack of quality either. It simply means the end product doesn't interest many people, for one reason or another, but that shouldn't determine whether you may personally enjoy something.

Conversely, high popularity on such websites also does not always equal high quality. It's all relative and subjective. A lot of bad movies get high audience scores and make huge profits.

That said, I could point to the audience scores for Back Arrow on Nicovideo.jp as another kind of metric in comparison. Those are arguably somewhat more relevant and informative, since they reflect what the folks watching the weekly streams thought about each individual episode. They had mixed reactions at first, but the weekly scores have gone up over time.

If you actually wish to discuss the contents of this anime, I think this ANN article does a good job of explaining a few reasons for why it's possible to watch and enjoy the show. It doesn't guarantee you will personally do so, of course, but it's hardly impossible.

I’m not judging this anime, as I have never seen it. I am just surprised at the fact that this got daily streaming reviews, when it seems that not that many people are watching it, nor like it.

I know that MyAnimeList is not reflective of the entire anime community, but I noticed a lot of threads on that website were heavily negative for an anime with low popularity. One thread asked if this was an anime for children, another called this the ultimate boomer anime.

This article is the most positive review of this anime I have seen, which perhaps means that it’s probably more popular with anime critics than with modern anime fans. It could also be that an anime that is not popular on MAL could be more popular on ANN, which tends to have older fans who would probably enjoy a seemingly nostalgic anime like this.

Also, I am using MAL as an example of the lack of popularity of this anime on mainstream websites. It having a low score on MAL doesn’t mean I think it’s trash and unwatchable. And, like I prevously said, I can’t comment on it’s quality because I haven’t seen it yet.

I don’t judge anime based on the score anime fans give it, nor do I judge it based on anime reviewers critiques. YU-NO’s anime got ripped to shreds on ANN, and I still watched and enjoyed it. If it seemed like I was trashing Back Arrow, that wasn’t my intention.
phia_one

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:35 pm Reply with quote
I started watching this show on a whim a few weeks after it aired and it's now my AOTS. It's such a fun show and it's a shame that it's not getting any traction. Shu Bi is such a delightful character especially with Tomokazu Sugita being the VA which I'm surprised wasn't mentioned in the column.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1