• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Solo Leveling Novel 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:08 pm Reply with quote
So there is no Encyclopedia entry for this LN series? Isn't that an oversight on someone's part? After all, there is a category called Not Anime, but Related.

Last edited by nobahn on Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cryten

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:23 am Reply with quote
So there is a line between giving the audience room to make their own deductions and not describing elements in the story. Im curious what readers and the reviewer think of how this one does in that regard. I ask because having recently read spider I got annoyed sometimes at the sheer lack of description of most anything other then internal monolog. So much so that an antagonist in a major fight is once described as "The mage-type guy is definitely a mage" A flaw in an otherwise quite interesting series.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:20 am Reply with quote
I think this one does a better job than Spider in that regard - most of what's left up to the imagination is what the big picture is: why there are dungeons and hunters, why Jinwoo got the chance to become a Player, and how all three of those things are related. We get a good idea of his skills and circumstances, just not how they fit into the larger world yet.
Cryten

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:51 am Reply with quote
Thank you.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:50 am Reply with quote
Hey, please put this kind of stuff in feedback. Discussion of whether or not someone is doing their job isn't relevant to the content review. Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:51 pm Reply with quote
This and gamer are the two Web toons I think have potential for success anime. Although god of high school and noblesse might have sunk that. Kubera and Crepscule I think could also work.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:07 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
Hey, please put this kind of stuff in feedback. Discussion of whether or not someone is doing their job isn't relevant to the content review. Thanks.

I humbly beg your pardon.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:45 am Reply with quote
I had the impression that the reason Solo Leveling got so much attention was mostly because of how the manhwa is just really that good.

It's great to know that the novel itself actually is enjoyable.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1