• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Reaches Settlement in Class-Action Lawsuit Over Allegedly Violating Americans with

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RealMTL

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:30 am Reply with quote
But why did this have to go to court? I hope this promps Funi to fix their stupid website now but the only real winners I see here are the lawyers.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:55 am Reply with quote
Problem is that this is a confidential settlement. So most likely the lawyers got paid and she got paid.

Angeles was not suing Funimation because they did not provide a service to the legally blind, but that, that service did not provide the same experience as a sighted person.

So if you knit gloves and stuffed animals at home and use one of those home business web software, are you required to hire a coder specializing in disability programming.
Stevangelion

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:13 am Reply with quote
Oh, so we need to make the blind be able to see when they use a computer. Okay, I’ll start learning how to play god now…. Hope there is a Masterclass.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:29 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

So if you knit gloves and stuffed animals at home and use one of those home business web software, are you required to hire a coder specializing in disability programming.

Spare us all the concern trolling please. The parties involved sued because that's often the only recourse left when a company does not respond to calls to comply with the law. And Funimation isn't a random independent business being run out of somebody's garage. They're a company valued at hundreds of millions of dollars that's been around for decades and is owned by an international conglomerate. They easily could afford the frankly basic work it would take to meet compliance.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:35 am Reply with quote
Stevangelion wrote:
Oh, so we need to make the blind be able to see when they use a computer. Okay, I’ll start learning how to play god now…. Hope there is a Masterclass.

That's not what the lawsuit demanded. It demanded basic style improvements, like providing "alt text" for HTML attributes, which are (as I think we covered in the last thread on this lawsuit) used by the kinds of software blind persons can use to convert a website to something readable in braille or some similar system.
Hinotoumei

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:36 am Reply with quote
Good. These laws are there for a reason. I've been let down so many times by these institutions due to legal mumbo jumbo. Nice to hear about a victory.
merr

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:03 am Reply with quote
There are well and long established accessibility requirements for websites. Funi didn’t follow them. That is why they got sued and why they settled. There is nothing novel about this case.
OtherSideofSky

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:31 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
are you required to hire a coder specializing in disability programming.

The requests were for basic shit that got covered in my first intro to web programming class and are also part of established best practice standards for web design. Any competent programmer should be addressing these issues by default.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:08 am Reply with quote
I just hope they contacted them about this before taking it to court.
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:41 am Reply with quote
So we’re going to sue every company that has a website now? I mean, really.
Vanadise

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:57 am Reply with quote
RealMTL wrote:
But why did this have to go to court?

Because being threatened with legal action is the only reason that for-profit companies ever do anything to help disabled users.
Tenbyakugon wrote:
So we’re going to sue every company that has a website now?

If they're a public business that violates ADA Title III, then yes! This is basic stuff that every business with an internet presence should comply with. You don't get to not do so just because you think the rules shouldn't apply to you.
#Bird_Black

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:58 am Reply with quote
Tenbyakugon wrote:
So we’re going to sue every company that has a website now? I mean, really.

Sure, if they discriminate against people. Why are people going out of their way to defend Funimation?
Aresef

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:05 am Reply with quote
This is a win for accessibility.
DevelsA

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:16 am Reply with quote
The way ADA works, is that an individual serves a lawsuit (this is not done by letter first). Generally these cases are settled, rarely go to court. the settlement will be fixing the problem and a settlement payment. ADA is addressed by individuals generally.

ADA access to websites has been an area of mass growth in lawsuits for compliance.

DA
karyuudo0127

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:17 am Reply with quote
OtherSideofSky wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
are you required to hire a coder specializing in disability programming.

The requests were for basic shit that got covered in my first intro to web programming class and are also part of established best practice standards for web design. Any competent programmer should be addressing these issues by default.

Best practices do not equal requirement. This is simply a case of someone trying to cash in. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3