• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: GTO: Paradise Lost to be 'Last' GTO Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Triltaison

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious to see which he'd like to work on. I'd kinda like to see more of Tokko, personally.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:17 am Reply with quote
Oh yeah I completely forgot that he was the same guy who made Tokko. As a highschool kid I loved GTO, Tokko and Rose Hip Rose and I was crushed that Tokko was unfinished. It was one of the first manga series I'd read where I realized that authors can just, not finish a story(for any number of reasons).

I hope he does continue Tokko but I hope that it doesn't continue right where it left off. By that I mean that I loved Tokko when I was younger, it hit just the chords of violence, crass humour, sex appeal and superpowers. But that was many years ago when the options(in the west) were really small. It's gonna have to be much better to stand out as I don't imagine that there are a lot of people clamoring for a sequel (though I'm happy to be proven wrong).
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:38 am Reply with quote
I honestly didn't know the Tokko manga was left unfinished. I recall that Rose Hip Rose and Rose Hip Zero ended similarly, so I thought it was his narrative style or something.

Asking out of curiosity, can anyone tell me how close the Tokko anime was to its source material?
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:37 am Reply with quote
GTO: Paradise Lost has been kind of eh for me. It doesn't really have the same impact as the previous GTO works as it's very episodic and the students' issues never stick or have a lasting impact. I do like that we get more of Onizuka and his shenanigans but it lacks the weight and some sense of seriousness. I do enjoy that it brings back characters from Onizuka's Shonan days and Tohru Fujisawa's other works like Animal Joe.

BlueAlf wrote:

Asking out of curiosity, can anyone tell me how close the Tokko anime was to its source material?

Although It has been a few years since I read the manga and watch the anime, it was mostly similar. The anime adds new stuff and has a different ending because it passes from where the manga left off.
GhostD

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:02 pm Reply with quote
If this will truly be the last GTO manga then I hope he gives it a proper ending. I've been a fan of GTO since my high school years the 90s so I wanna see this sequel get a proper conclusion
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1