• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
86 (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:14 pm Reply with quote
I think that I have kept myself safe in the series by giving myself a level of distance from all the horrible stuff, that I was kind of surprised when it finally hit that there was only a five of them left. And it was an incredibly strong second half of episode 10 that showed us a highlight reel of the sort of things that Fido has seen, going into the different points of view theme that has been done a lot in the show. The decision to have Fido's view looking like some sort of retro camera was pretty inspired.

Really not sure what is going to be at the end of this journey, other than it already evident that war sucks, and societies can suck for trying to hide its worst aspects by dehumanising groups and trying to get rid of them.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:21 am Reply with quote
10:

An epilogue episode.

See, that's how the whole episode feels before the credits began rolling. And ironically, it felt like the best time of the 86's lives. I know that after the end of the last episode, they're basically going into unknown territories where it can be either good or horrible, with a higher chance of it being stupid-horrible. I didn't think it would feel... like they're on a hiking trip (feels weird for me to say this). A hiking trip into not-Republic territory, to be more precise.

But it began to make sense when they began to raise the topic of freedom. Not locked in by any obligation, but not having a safe space when shit goes down... essentially that's what freedom is. That's where I think their trip to the zoo is surprisingly poignant: caged animals are a perfect example to explain freedom. You always think that caged animals should be freed i.e. be freed into the wild. But remember: when they're free, that means they can die at anytime, by a predator or some kind of mishap. That's the price of freedom. Nobody's going to help 86 now that they're free.

And thus we learn that the good time they're having in this episode, is simply the calm before the storm.

Post-credits:

I'm going to admit it: I feel sad about Fido. Sadder for his "death" than those of other 86, even. It's not the same kind of sadness I feel when a character I like dies. It's the guilt-laced kind of sadness I feel when an underrated character dies, especially when we learn post-death how important he's been all along. Two examples came to my mind for something like this:

spoiler[1) Densuke the dog died, in Dennou Coil.
2) That peacock-like animal that mysteriously saved Kaiba was revealed to be his mother, in Kaiba.]

Fido is that one character who never had enough airtime because the show spends more time focusing on the human counterparts. But when it's shown that it's been around longer than any other 86 except for Shin himself, and he was literally there the whole time, that's when his "death" hits me hard.

I thought of comparing Fido to GITS's Tachikoma, without the verbal expressions. But I think in essence, it's more like seeing someone's dog die (whose name is Fido, of all names... is it any wonder, if you think about it?). The dog is rarely the main character in a human's show, yet when it dies, and the show gives you a flashback of how he's been there from the very beginning with his unwavering loyalty, you realize that you lost a true supporting character and a piece of you died on the inside. That's how I feel, and I didn't see that coming. Damn.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:39 am Reply with quote
Final:

A side thought.

You know how in Hollywood war movies, there's always a scene where the convoy/platoon/section/whatever makes their way through a disturbingly quiet stretch of roads, while they're on high alert and almost about to shit their pants at the sight of anything hostile? It's that tense scene that's like watching like watching a pot of water simmering under the lid but not yet boiling over? That's what I thought the remaining 86 is experiencing right now as they're on enemy territories, but not, it feels more like a hiking trip with dangers lurking here and there. Kinda underwhelming for my taste. Hmm.

I know the show's taking the hopeful and sentimental approach for the team's freedom journey rather than the dread-filled, bleak kind which is more warranted for such a genre. I have actually nothing against this approach. They have nothing to lose, so if the show makes me to feel good about their last moments, then I'm all down for it. In fact, to see how pretty the whole environment has been since they left for their journey is already a giveaway (see, in a typical war movie, the environment is almost all gray or all least monotonously colored, and full of mud).

Anyway, none of that is important now since the show's over.

As a final episode... urgh, I don't know what to feel. I know the 86 are basically doomed to die. I know that if given a choice, Shin would like to die alone (seriously, should any of them be surprised that Shin decided to go alone and be the target in an attempt to save the rest, even if in vain? You fought with him for a long time, it shouldn't be a surprise). Lena will continue her justice crusade for the 86. The rest of the 86... fates unknown but they're pretty much dead. I know all of the above are going to happen... yet I'm unsatisfied with the episode.

Maybe it's because of how Shin went. He's now one with the enemy, yet I'm supposed to feel happy now that he's finally with his brother in the afterlife? Or how the show just introduced a minor plot at the last minute over some guy going berserk to save his princess (what's the point of this new!?). Or how we don't really see what happened to the rest of the 86. Or how we don't really know the ultimate fate of the Republic (we only learned that they're going to fall, given the trajectory of the war). For a final episode, it feels awfully... "not-final"?

A 6/10 for me. The show has a good concept but mishandles the execution (how expected). Never really liked how it handles the theme of war and the drama that comes with it; it never feels like I'm watching a war drama even if it is one. As a whole, based on the anime adaptation alone, I feel like it's a distilled version of the more expansive original source and hence I'm missing out on a lot of stuff. That being said, the show just... ends. Not with a proper closure, but just ends. Good music and visuals, but nothing more than that.

The show could've been more. A WHOLE LOT MORE. I just got a snippet of it so I'm not contented. Such a shame.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:42 am Reply with quote
That was the last episode? I thought it said there was one more episode, like a special or something. As much as chances are it will be a back in time thing before the ending, I was kind of hoping that it might finish it in a way that feels better than this, where his goal was to destroy his brother's head from being used, but it is apparently happy when the exact same fate happened to him. I would have thought they would rather kill themselves rather than have their head and mind taken.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:54 am Reply with quote
There's gonna be a second cour as well. I'd assume the whole princess business to be explored there.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:38 am Reply with quote
Regardless of a second cour or not, the way it wrapped up was very off.

If they want to give sneak peeks on what to expect for the next cour―like a subplot about a guy who died defending a princess, or ROBO SUICIDE BOMBERS!―they can do it post-credit or something, in the style of a MCU movie. Anything except during the climax. Do that and I'd be confused af ("princess? what princess??").
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:54 am Reply with quote
Okay, so a 13th episode was a recap, and let it be known the end of a season by the way of a sequel confirmed for October, I guess we will be back then.

Anyway, for the first season I will give a rating of Decent (6/10). It was creative with things like perspective and stuff, but although things happened I was a little bored, still worth watching anyway.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:29 pm Reply with quote
S2, 1:

Aaaaand we're back!

Honestly, I find it a little anticlimactic that Shin's still alive. What, with the surreal reunion with his late brother and all, and we now learn that it was all some kind of fever dream? And not just that, but all the gang was alive when, in the last episode of S1, it was pretty clear that they were all doomed? Sounds like something you need a classic deus ex machina to me.

From the onset, I don't get good vibes from Ernst for one particular reason: he is way too over-accommodating. Especially for a leader of a new country. Making tough decisions is part of being a leader, so it's unsettling to see him just rescue a bunch of outcasts from another country without any strings attached. Even in RL, when you have two countries at war with a common enemy, you don't just take in refugees from the other country, especially these refugees have a special ability to telepathically link with the enemy... Unless they're soldiers who seem useful on the battlefield. So yes, the first thing that would come to my mind is, he (or essentially the "Giad" Empire) wants to use them for his own gain. Especially during wartime, such people are assets that you probably want to "adopt".

Speaking of "adopt", as hinted at the end of the episode, Ernst is over-accommodating apparently because he's compensating over something personal. We don't know what exactly, but we will find out eventually. But when you see a figure of authority being extra nice to you, chances are 1) he wants something from you, and 2) he's being nice to atone for something i.e. for his own issues, not just for your welfare.

Not sure if the show's trying to tackle some social commentary, but to see the Eighty Six blending with the Giad society feels like an ode to war vets trying to reintegrate to society. It's already shown how such people have a difficult time readjusting to normal life because of PTSD―the only peace they have is (ironically) at the battlefield―and being social outcasts (either perceived by society, or their own self-perception). You can't just reintegrate people who only knows war their whole lives into a peaceful environment, and expect them to be normal. Advocates may fight for their welfare, but war vets may not be that honored by their sentiments; these people are not the ones suffering at the battlefield.

Another unsettling feeling I have is towards this Giad Empire. It may seem more utopian than the most outwardly totalitarian San Magnolia, and even Ernst has a disdain for the country. But there's something cryptic about how he feels that a country that sacrifices its own people deserves to be wiped out. Ernst wants his country to be just; that's his "ideal" of mankind. Noble cause, right? Except, if you look back in history at past totalitarian regimes, they all spouted very similar ideals. The requirements of a totalitarian regime: 1) a charismatic leader, 2) a desperate situation, and 3) a common goal.

Now, what I'm curious about is the current San Magnolia empire. Lena has clearly toughened up with her IDGAF attitude. Way better than her former naive self; now, she renders herself untouchable because of her impeccable battlefield record. Good! Even if she's just a captain, the military would even have to listen to her, especially when she's winning battles. Like that rockstar performer in your office: like or hate them, you can't get rid of them if they're bringing in results. What I want to know is, how does San Magnolia tie in with the Giad Empire in terms of the story? Especially when the story is still about the 86 and Lena, who now manages another team.

I'm invested in this show.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:12 pm Reply with quote
2:

PTSD: when you've left the battlefield, but the battlefield hasn't left you.

It's documented how people coming back from a war can't reintegrate with society because they felt aimless. They've been so conditioned to the volatility of the battlefield that their senses and alertness have become hypersensitive / over-sensitized that a peaceful setting may seem unsettling to them. Even more dangerous, since in this kind of setting, the victim doesn't know what danger is lurking.

Another reason why people with PTSD would feel aimless is because well... they are aimless. On the battlefield, their aim is often (literally) to survive another day. Put them in a peaceful environment where they don't have to make a conscious effort to survive, and what do you think they feel? "What do I do now?". It is a existentialist question in itself, so eventually many feel like going back to the battlefield to feel right at home. The only peace they can find is ironically the not-so-peaceful place; for the 86, at the borders of the Giad Empire.

I mentioned before in the first season how I felt like the show doesn't feel heavy like a war drama should. I still feel that for this season, although I don't really have anything against the show for their approach. They're somewhat sentimentalizing the theme of the horrors of war, making it more emotional rather than raw like how most other war dramas have done (compare this with say, Apocalypse Now). Not surprised, and I don't expect the second season to drastically change their approach now.

As mentioned previously, I just want to know how the San Magnolia subplot now intertwines with Giad Empire. Are they going to clash (question: does San Magnolia know that Giad Empire has entirely distinguish themselves from Legion?), or fight side-by-side against a common enemy?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:12 am Reply with quote
Crazy conspiracy theory: their heads actually were taken and are kind of in the matrix right now.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:33 pm Reply with quote
3:

When you've survived long enough, it makes you wonder if you deserve it.

That's the thing about survivor guilt. Shinei and his gang have moved way beyond that, but the things they experienced for surviving long enough is something long-term survivors are all too familiar with. If you die, you lose. If you live long enough, people begin to question your survival. Even when Shinei is in a much better place than San Magnolia in terms of the battlefield, they still get mistreated.

So in the end, despite their battling prowess, fighting on the frontlines is still a thankless job. Shinei doesn't really care what others think however, for better or worse. The most important thing here is, they're fighting a losing war and some people still haven't grasp that. How different is the Giad Empire from San Magnolia when it comes to ending the war, even when try to separate themselves from the latter as much as possible?
ACxS

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:31 am Reply with quote
4:

"We're not like them." -- says the one who always end up being like them.

It's an allegoric red flag, isn't it? The Giad Empire is always harping on about how they're not (or don't want to be) like San Magnolia, but they're no different themselves. They say it without really understanding why San Magnolia even ended up being like that in the first place.

For one, San Magnolia is doomed because of their hubris and underestimation of Legion's power. Giad Empire now preaches how Shinei's estimations of Legion's power is "impossible" according to their analysts, who "take their work seriously" and "we will never abandon our own people". Uh huh, sure. San Magnolia treats the Eighty-Six as nobodies, but Giad Empire possibly turning their backs at the same people who's fighting for them when the chips are down, even after saying that they "will never abandon them"? Makes you wonder which country is worse now.

And to make matters worse, Frederica's story is already a telling tale of how Giad Empire is pretty screwed. A country using a weapon they don't quite understand to fight against other countries, and thus had to use their own people to defend against themselves. Uh huh, basically a revolt / coup. A country in turmoil versus an enemy that's basically one big AI... takes no genius to know which one will win in the end.

Eighty-Six already be thinking "well, we're screwed", and now the Giad Empire wants to team up with San Magnolia for a coordinated attack against the Legion, and they're not exactly cooperating. Eventually the Eighty-Six and Lena are going to reunite one way or another. How is that going to unfold?
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:31 pm Reply with quote
5:

Shit is finally going down. This is going to be fun.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:21 pm Reply with quote
ACxS wrote:
Uh huh, basically a revolt / coup.

There's no "basically" about it; it was a full-blown revolution and change of government, and the catastrophe with the Legion was the trigger. Frederica, the Empress-in-waiting at the time, is only alive because Ernst was able to fake her death, and he was willing to do so because he really was serious about not putting the onus of events on children. That leaves Frederica in a precarious position, which is why I've always found allowing her to be a mascot to be a risky move.

As for San Magnolia "not cooperating," that's implied to be more a case of them not being able to make contact. Lena certainly wasn't acting in episode 16 like she was aware of any contact from another country.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
saber721

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:18 pm Reply with quote
So, bad news, next week will be a 'special visual commentary episode.' So we're gonna have to wait two weeks for the next real episode. Hope this commentary episode was planned in advance to give the studio more time to make the final act even more awesome.

EDIT: Unfortunately it seems to be production related per the official twitter page:
https://twitter.com/anime_eightysix/status/1457006861119475712?t=-QneULzXlPjeYmpSuJpH3g&s=19
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4