• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Peach Boy Riverside Anime Airing Out of Chronological Order

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Albion Hero

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
scriptwriter Ōchi grappled with how to make Sally the main character. However, casting Sally as the primary lead wasn't a popular idea.

Sucks to hear Japan is still struggling with the idea of making a female main character.
Soulwarfare

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Sounds dumb and convoluted, but we will see...

Plus what is wrong with Sally being the main character? Heck she is the main character in the manga...
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Well. I wasn't expected to read something like this today. Fortunate for me, I was waiting for the BD so I have time to wait and see how they handle that. The plus side is that this is one series instead of something like Dangan Ronpa 3, where you had to watch 2 arcs in order of air date (Ex: Ep 1 of Mira-hen then Ep 1 of Zetsubou-hen then continue) but the BD had separate versions of each arc instead of putting it into one.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:15 pm Reply with quote
This actually sounds really interesting and almost makes me want to watch it. I wonder if, technically, by the middle of the season you'd be able to already finish the show, watching both the chrono and not-chrono releases
ncikz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:24 pm Reply with quote
"If, like some of our own critics, you found yourself confused by the events in the first episode of Peach Boy Riverside"
i was not confused

i couldn't write you a wiki about what was going on but I was picking up on it and was intrigued, please for the love of everything holy stop making anime spell everything out, exposition these days is so poor

good on them for actually cutting together a decent adaptation that will have a satisfactory ending, and switching to the heroine as the protagonist feels more in line with coolkyou's stuff anyway.
ab2143

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:39 pm Reply with quote
I heard we'll get an explanation about that bizarre octopus scene lmao
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:13 pm Reply with quote
IMO going this route is always a double-edged sword. It can be super interesting and fun to go along with, but it's usually hard to talk about with folks because they get upset by the lack of a clear and straight through-line. Then again, I'm one of the weird ones who enjoyed the whole "endless 8" Haruhi thing back in the day, so it just might be something you need to have an uncommon taste for.
Sareail

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:54 pm Reply with quote
I don't know the manga and haven't watched the anime, so I'm not saying the idea is bad, but the explanation about the primary reason being the story would end without an ending isn't really a sensical explanation. The manga wasn't finished and there was no ending to adapt either way. The director said they aren't doing any anime original content, which is fine (good, even), but how in any reality would this prevent that? If you're making 12 episodes of content from what's in the manga, how do you avoid the cliffhanger when you're adapting the same exact content just in a different order? I understand that the cliffhanger might not be in the final episode of the season because it has been reordered, but the same cliffhanger will be there, just in an earlier episode.
andramus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Sareail wrote:
I don't know the manga and haven't watched the anime, so I'm not saying the idea is bad, but the explanation about the primary reason being the story would end without an ending isn't really a sensical explanation. The manga wasn't finished and there was no ending to adapt either way. The director said they aren't doing any anime original content, which is fine (good, even), but how in any reality would this prevent that? If you're making 12 episodes of content from what's in the manga, how do you avoid the cliffhanger when you're adapting the same exact content just in a different order? I understand that the cliffhanger might not be in the final episode of the season because it has been reordered, but the same cliffhanger will be there, just in an earlier episode.

I haven't read the manga so I'm just guessing but I wonder if it's something like how the Berserk 1997 anime adapted the Golden Age arc and pretty much skipped everything that preceded it. At the time given the available source material it was the closest the 97 anime could get to adapting a self-contained story without deviating too far from the original content. I know a lot of people disagree with me but I thought the 97 anime chose a pretty good point in the story to end on. It left you wanting more and I know a lot of people went straight to the manga afterwards to find out what happened next.

I'm just guessing that Peach Boy Riverside is adapting a specific arc out of the manga where Sally is the focal character and making her the main character for this anime adaptation. From the sounds of it she isn't the main character in the manga.
micah007

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:07 pm Reply with quote
The idea seems interesting. I haven't watched this yet so I can only hope the narrative won't feel convoluted being presented in this fashion. Could make for an engaging viewing experience by having to piece the time frame together or it could be aggravating.
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:35 pm Reply with quote
They're really going to cover 6 or 7 volumes in 12 episodes and still were worried about needing original content? I'm not familiar with the source, but that sounds like a lot of content for 12 episodes.
It will be interesting to see how manga readers respond to what seems like very fast pacing.
If the primary worry was not having a proper ending, then that's really not that unusual for many anime adaptations...
JohnHawk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:37 pm Reply with quote
I've seen a number of "out of chronological order" anime and they've all been terrible
Guess I'll wait til its done to watch in the way its supposed to be
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Albion Hero wrote:
Quote:
scriptwriter Ōchi grappled with how to make Sally the main character. However, casting Sally as the primary lead wasn't a popular idea.

Sucks to hear Japan is still struggling with the idea of making a female main character.

Japan would be OK if there were female MC's in shojo or josei mangas/animes instead in shonen and seinen mangas/animes.
el_morris

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Out of chronological order, kinda like Princess Principal did?
Penrhos

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:30 am Reply with quote
Watched Episode 1 (2) last night, the point they started seemed a bit odd almost as if the first few minutes were missing of the show but it did progress nicely, looked OK from an animation point of view and was an easy 4/5 from my point of view.

What did surprise me is the lack of censoring when the Ogre decapitated the guards - lots of pretty blood splatters and bits of bodies, if it continues to be gory like this it could be a top contender this season.

WTF : was the octopus flashback/premonition bit in the market (or was it just put in for fanservice)?

Be interesting when episode 4 (1) screens to see how much of a train-wreck the re-ordering makes or not.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2