• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Summer 2021 Daily Streaming Reviews Schedule

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ab2143

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:03 am Reply with quote
aw, no Uramichi-Oniisan. ah well

I'm surprised Beastars is getting a weekly review. I know there was a weekly review for Japan Sinks but that's because of how intense the series was(?). It would have been hard to binge...
Mewzard

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:13 am Reply with quote
The lack of Getter Robo Arc in the list of reviews is super disappointing, Getter Robo was the first combining mech.

The adaptation of Ken Ishikawa's final Getter Robo manga before his passing, the capstone to 30 years of work.

Damn shame.
SHD

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:24 am Reply with quote
Boo, no Night Head 2041. Not that I expected, but still, even less exposure...
tfwnoymir

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:24 am Reply with quote
Nice, my shilling has - mostly - worked out this time Smile Sadly Re-Main didn't get the cut, but I hope it gets reviewed later. But what matters most is that Kageki Shoujo gets its weekly attention it deserves. As well as Aquatope, Love Live and Vanitas. It would have been surprising if Slime S2 and Kobayashi S2 wouldn't have made the cut. I voted for other titles as well out of curiosity (like Remake or Sonny Boy), as well as titles that aren't out as of yet (Jahy, Idaten, Fena). Isekai Drugstore is something I don't think it's weekly review-worthy, as there's not much to review (i still enjoy it) and Precure once again didn't make the cut, but I expected that, I know that Rebecca will review it later anyway.

Last edited by tfwnoymir on Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total
3ngag3

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:25 am Reply with quote
How many times are you going to shaft Dragon Quest?
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:46 am Reply with quote
3ngag3 wrote:
How many times are you going to shaft Dragon Quest?

It's been included in every DSR poll since it started airing. Unfortunately there's only so much room in the schedule and if a show can't make the cut, there's not much to be done.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:47 am Reply with quote
This season was pretty slim on interesting content, wonder if there were less vote cast compared to last season (both in term of people who voted and in term of total number of vote that any series received).
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:53 am Reply with quote
Wow, Battle in 5 Seconds actually made it; I thought for sure I'd be disappointed again.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:13 pm Reply with quote
I probably for voted for less shows this season than any other in recent memory (especially compared to last season), but the few I did vote for all made the cut. Plus it seems like we have one or two new voices for weekly reviews, which is always fun!

Outside of continuing shows like Higurashi Sotsu, I'm easily most interested in Sonny Boy and Kageki Shoujo. There's a couple other shows that could be good, but I'm kind of ready for a sparse season.

Really surprised to see Fena: Pirate Princess on here for Summer, I could have sworn its meant to air just "sometime before October," so I figured it was a Fall show. Although I guess technically Eden's Zero falls in the same "no official streaming date announced" camp too depending on when Netflix drops it some time after Shaman King.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:19 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
This season was pretty slim on interesting content, wonder if there were less vote cast compared to last season (both in term of people who voted and in term of total number of vote that any series received).

Happy to share some stats!

Spring was considered a high point as far as the number of great series, but even if you think summer pales in comparison it didn't affect voter turnout in a meaningful way. The total number of voters was roughly the same. However, the split on shows was definitely different.

For spring, the top show was chosen by over half of all participants whereas for summer the top show was chosen by 35%. The top four for this season were also very close (about a percentage dif between #1 and #4) compared to last season. I would hazard to interpret this as there was less of a consensus of what series were the best this season and votes were far more spread out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Mewzard wrote:
The lack of Getter Robo Arc in the list of reviews is super disappointing, Getter Robo was the first combining mech.

The adaptation of Ken Ishikawa's final Getter Robo manga before his passing, the capstone to 30 years of work.

Damn shame.

I voted for Arc, but I honestly had no expectation of it ever getting picked, though I'm sure it would have made for an interesting set of write-ups had it happened. Really, though, ANN just doesn't seem like the kind of site that would really cover a series like Getter Robo, at least weekly. And I don't mean that in regards to the writers themselves, but rather it's in regards to the general readership of the site, and it's not a dig or jab at the readers, either. Every place has a specific set of niches that it appeals to, & something like Getter Robo just isn't one of them for ANN's reader base.

Maybe we'll see a full series review after it ends, if any of the writers are still that curious about it by that point, or at the very least it'll likely get a This Week in Anime article, since that column is willing to cover stuff that didn't get picked for weekly reviews.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:35 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
meiam wrote:

Happy to share some stats!

Spring was considered a high point as far as the number of great series, but even if you think summer pales in comparison it didn't affect voter turnout in a meaningful way. The total number of voters was roughly the same. However, the split on shows was definitely different.

For spring, the top show was chosen by over half of all participants whereas for summer the top show was chosen by 35%. The top four for this season were also very close (about a percentage dif between #1 and #4) compared to last season. I would hazard to interpret this as there was less of a consensus of what series were the best this season and votes were far more spread out.

Hum interesting, thanks for sharing.

I'm guessing most top vote this summer were for continuation while maybe last season had more new series in the top score? Maybe that would also affect the spread since only people who watched previous season would vote for it.

Was there much of a difference in total vote cast, ie spring had 2000 voter with an average of 10 series voted per voter for a total of 20 000 votes while summer had also around 2000 voter but an average of 7 for a total of 14 000 votes, or something similar?

You probably can't share this, but was there a big bumb in number of voter if you compare to 2 years ago (ie pre covid)?
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:49 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
Wow, Battle in 5 Seconds actually made it; I thought for sure I'd be disappointed again.

Both this one and Serei Gensouki making it were mild surprises for me, and I am glad to see that some else was able to pick up 1,000,000 Lives. All of the titles that I expected to make the cut did, so no major disappointment there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:

Maybe we'll see a full series review after it ends, if any of the writers are still that curious about it by that point

It's one of the ones I've been considering following, depending on the rest of my life. I have a real soft spot for shows like that one.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:58 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

Hum interesting, thanks for sharing.

I'm guessing most top vote this summer were for continuation while maybe last season had more new series in the top score? Maybe that would also affect the spread since only people who watched previous season would vote for it.

Was there much of a difference in total vote cast, ie spring had 2000 voter with an average of 10 series voted per voter for a total of 20 000 votes while summer had also around 2000 voter but an average of 7 for a total of 14 000 votes, or something similar?

You probably can't share this, but was there a big bumb in number of voter if you compare to 2 years ago (ie pre covid)?

I'm guessing most top vote this summer were for continuation while maybe last season had more new series in the top score? - The top three in the summer survey were all new shows, not continuations. The same can be said for spring.

Our survey format actually doesn't tell me how many shows were picked per voter, or if it does I don't know how to view it. So unfortunately I can't say whether on average voters picked fewer shows over all.

Looking at summer 2021 vs summer 2020 vs summer 2019, I don't think the number of participating voters could be attributed to COVID.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3