• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Deadline: Minari's Lee Isaac Chung to No Longer Direct your name. Hollywood Remake

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HueyLion

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:02 am Reply with quote
Looks like its not meant to be
xerox-guy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:12 am Reply with quote
This is good news. PLEASE let this project die in peace.
mulletZERO

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:52 am Reply with quote
I hope it gets canceled. Why remake a film that's already good? I get it, but also I don't.
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:18 am Reply with quote
mulletZERO wrote:
I hope it gets canceled. Why remake a film that's already good? I get it, but also I don't.

because for how much anime is hyped up nowadays as being hip and mainstream, it's not. Most adults still view the idea of seeing a cartoon as immature kid's shit. Regardless of its content, you won't convince these people.

that's why the idea of Americanizing an anime into a live-action feature is an infrequently recurring thing when the IP seems profitable.

Last edited by cookiemanstah on Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:20 am; edited 1 time in total
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:19 am Reply with quote
The Japanese rights-holders Toho want a Western take of Your Name, not a rehash of the Japanese take that's already been done so why do it twice
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:09 am Reply with quote
Yeah, this is probably never coming out at this point. Which is kind of sad, I was honestly somewhat interested in it
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:38 am Reply with quote
Guess I must be in the minority of fans which hopes this project actually happens. your name. is about the only one of Shinkai's works that would adapt well into live-action form, and like with Shakespeare's works, you could change a lot of the details without changing the core of the story. I'd be very interested to see what they would come up with.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:53 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
The Japanese rights-holders Toho want a Western take of Your Name, not a rehash of the Japanese take that's already been done so why do it twice

Because if Japan (or South Korea) makes a live action adaptation of something the U.S. has to essentially be the almost the exact same thing as the Japanese adaptation.
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:55 pm Reply with quote
I believe Lee Isaac Chung would've made a great adaption. If he's not going to do it, it's probably better to leave Your Name alone.
Dian Z

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:59 pm Reply with quote
He's probably the only reason I'm interested in this project. Since I doubt it'll be cancelled just because the director's leaving, I wonder who will take over the director's chair. Surely I hope it's not another 'not on par' replacement case, though I suppose it won't be easy to find one.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:42 am Reply with quote
I know I'll get some pushback on this but it needs to be said. I don't really have a problem with an American version of "your name." It seems Lee Isaac Chung might not have been the right guy for it. Personally,I don't know if he is or not. But again,I don't believe that this project's going to be automatically bad. To me,I think this could work but I'm not going to just attack simply because Hollywood wants to remake this. I'm going to wait and see and hopefully see it when it comes out. I think it'll be interesting to see Hollywood's take on the story.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:59 am Reply with quote
The Ring and The Grudge series got adapted
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1