• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Variety: Pokémon Live-Action Series is in Early Development at Netflix

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ab2143

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Why?
Daigunbuster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Netflix really does greenlight everything. Is it that hard for studio execs to get that animated shows 99% of the time do not work as well live action? Then again they also think One Piece will work live action.
KefkaesqueXIII

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Legendary was able to get away with generally well recived live action Pokémon in the Detective Pikachu movie, but I highly doubt this Netflix series will be given the budget needed to pull it off.
chronium

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:58 pm Reply with quote
KefkaesqueXIII wrote:
Legendary was able to get away with generally well recived live action Pokémon in the Detective Pikachu movie, but I highly doubt this Netflix series will be given the budget needed to pull it off.

Have you been paying attention to how much money they spend for content?

ab2143 wrote:
Why?

Why not? It's a popular property and the only reason other places wouldn't bother would be because of how much it would cost.
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Netflix shows like other TV shows are either hit or miss. There are a bunch of shows I thought were gonna miss (Bojack, Castlevina and Cobra Kai) but ending up hitting. Same thing goes for things I thought were gonna be hits but ended up missing (Saint Seiya, Fuller House, and The Dark Crystal series). Granted I like a few of those misses but I'm not the majority of Netflix. Here's hoping this series is good because that Pokemon movie showed it can be done. Let's wait and see.
chronium

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Fuller House was on for 5 seasons so how is that a miss? Dark Crystal was expensive and the studio catching fire probably didn't help. Cobra Kai is really a Youtube show not Netflix.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:37 pm Reply with quote
I assume they'll try to adapt from the movie and make it some kind of procedural detective story set in a world of Pokemon instead of a traditional Pokemon narrative, but I'm not sure if they could give this enough budget to pull off the amount of CG Pokemon that would need to appear to feel accurate to the source material.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:39 pm Reply with quote
At this point all we should do is post the live-action Death Note poster and leave. That's the sole coloring adaptation, they blew it, and they will never, ever, ever get that trust back. All there is to it. They shouldn't even bother with these adaptations given how the fandoms are. Just send everybody home and go ask the Ozark guy what other ideas he has.
chronium

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:07 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
I assume they'll try to adapt from the movie and make it some kind of procedural detective story set in a world of Pokemon instead of a traditional Pokemon narrative, but I'm not sure if they could give this enough budget to pull off the amount of CG Pokemon that would need to appear to feel accurate to the source material.

Variety only brings up Detective Pikachu as a example of the visual style so we don't know what kind of story they want to tell. As for budget Netflix just spent 450 million for 2 Knives out movies so I don't see money being the problem for the show.
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:17 pm Reply with quote
chronium wrote:
Fuller House was on for 5 seasons so how is that a miss? Dark Crystal was expensive and the studio catching fire probably didn't help. Cobra Kai is really a Youtube show not Netflix.

Fuller House was what I would call a charity case. I mean after the first season nobody really talked about it. Dark Crystal you do have a good point, It was the only thing I could think of off the top of my head. The Gabriel Iglesias sitcom now comes to mind. Most of the misses are not very memorable to play devil's advocate on myself. Also most of the misses for me are animated and I wanted to give a variety of shows since we are talking about a live action show.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Daigunbuster wrote:
Netflix really does greenlight everything. Is it that hard for studio execs to get that animated shows 99% of the time do not work as well live action? Then again they also think One Piece will work live action.

Studios greenlight tons of stuff because all they need is that one hit to be the next sensation for it all to pay off. Yeah, pretty much every live action adaption is inferior, if not outright terrible, but, hey, even stuff like Transformers ended up taking off and making money And Pokemon's pretty much been completely globalized these days and all the Japanese-ness got stamped out of it ages ago so its probably in a better spot than other properties. Not that I think it'll be good or anything.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:43 pm Reply with quote
ab2143 wrote:
Why?

Money.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:31 am Reply with quote
I've got a question. Why does Netflix think that a live-action "Pokemon" series is necessary? There's a pretty good anime series already. I don't really see the need for a live-action version of this series. I really don't.
Melicans

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:57 pm Reply with quote
So remember that live action Zelda that Netflix was supposedly making? The one Nintendo cancelled because it was leaked? And now a Pokemon series is being leaked?

Yeah, just by reporting this it has cancelled the series.
OdnetninAges

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:06 pm Reply with quote
There's a theory that that debacle is the reason why Netflix still isn't on Switch.
If this is to be believed, then yeah, the bridge between Nintendo and Netflix is probably burned to a crisp.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2