• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Hayao Miyazaki Praises Goro Miyazaki's Earwig and the Witch Film

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:50 pm Reply with quote
if he is being genuine (you can never tell with this man), that is interesting considering its horrifying CG look and the sheer indifference people had to anything the film had to offer because of it.
#Bird_Black

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:58 pm Reply with quote
I don't care how horrible or ugly this movie is (haven't seen it yet) if it gets Miyazaki to say something nice about his son! Please be proud of your child.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:07 pm Reply with quote
#Bird_Black wrote:
I don't care how horrible or ugly this movie is (haven't seen it yet) if it gets Miyazaki to say something nice about his son!

Ooof sure hope that “I thought he would never measure up” quote isn’t what was actually said then.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Is Miyazaki-sensei losing his mind? I haven't even gotten around to watching Earwig because the trailers made the film look so cheap and unpolished. Ghibli can't survive if Goro is going to be the future.
HoshizoranoUtage

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:46 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
#Bird_Black wrote:
I don't care how horrible or ugly this movie is (haven't seen it yet) if it gets Miyazaki to say something nice about his son!

Ooof sure hope that “I thought he would never measure up” quote isn’t what was actually said then.

Quote: "吾朗はちょっと無理じゃないかと思ったくらいで"
Literally it's something like "I thought it was a little beyond his abilities" or "I thought it would be too much for him to pull off.".
Poor Goro. I don't like his movies as much as his father's, but I can't help but feel like it must be hard to have a famous father.

EDIT: Also, it looks like the interview was done to promote the movie. It wouldn't make sense for him to criticize the movie too much when he's trying to promote it...
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I thought Goro wouldn't measure up

Oh, Miyazaki…
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Classic Miyazaki. Being a dick to his son even as he praises him. A real great dude.

ranran-001 wrote:
Ghibli can't survive if Goro is going to be the future.

Honestly? Let it die.
jdnation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Goro can do it on occasion.

'From Up on Poppy Hill' was delightful!

Ghibli changing their rhythm to CG will definitely see many bumps in the road. The problem is they are heavily behind the curve compared to the best out there.

Good CG ain't cheap.
Redlinks

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:21 pm Reply with quote
I wish he would be honest with his son. We all how how much Hayao Miyazaki dislikes CGI. I too strongly dislike CGI.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Redlinks wrote:
I wish he would be honest with his son. We all how how much Hayao Miyazaki dislikes CGI. I too strongly dislike CGI.

It would be more accurate to say that Hayao Miyazaki uses CG when he thinks it fits the production and the story. He incorporated CG in Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, and Howl's Moving Castle. He avoided CG in Ponyo and The Wind Rises. His latest completed anime, "Boro the Caterpillar," was entirely CG.

anime#20506
harminia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Redlinks wrote:

Hayao Miyazaki literally made a CGI film......

Quote:
I thought Goro wouldn't measure up

rough.
I mean I'm glad he's ultimately praising Goro overall but it feels like he's praising him while also stabbing him repeatedly.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Hrrrrrrrrm back-handed praise, I guess. ._.

...also I like Goro's films. Crying or Very sad (Tales of Earthsea? Absolutely loved it. Fight me.)

When they are drawn that is. You can't pay me to watch...this...video game movie....it's....it's wrong.

JK, but it doesn't appeal to me. No offense to those who disagree.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:51 pm Reply with quote
I always liked Goro's Tales from Earthsea despite what some fans have said about it over the years. I'll enjoy Earwig and the Witch film when I make the time to finally watch it.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:54 am Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
Redlinks wrote:

It would be more accurate to say that Hayao Miyazaki uses CG when he thinks it fits the production and the story. He incorporated CG in Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, and Howl's Moving Castle. He avoided CG in Ponyo and The Wind Rises. His latest completed anime, "Boro the Caterpillar," was entirely CG.

I thought some scenes in The Wind Rises were made in CG, maybe the animation was so fluid it looked like CG
Anyways, I haven't seen Earwig but the computer animation didn't look very great, there various animation studios in Japan that have made very impressive CGI films like Advent Children, Dragon Quest Your Story and Lupin III The First, but technically Earwig was made as a TV movie and I don't think Ghibli has a CG studio as big as others, also maybe people were expecting something more impressive coming from them. At least Hayao seems pleased with his son's film, must be hard for Goro to live under his father shadow. The only movie I watched that was made by Goro was Poppy Hill and it was pretty well done.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:31 am Reply with quote
I will consider it a positive if this movie helps to repair Hayao and Goro's relationship though I didn't care for it myself.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1