• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Gridman - The Hyper Agent

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cyberdraco

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:25 am Reply with quote
Eh, as long as the subs are comprehensible I'll still be picking it up at some point(maybe at a price drop). I'll still be looking forward to MIll Creek's other Ultra releases.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:46 pm Reply with quote
From what I had read about the original TokuHD subs, the first three episodes used a fansub script so it wasn't as bad there, it was from episode 4 onwards where they used a machine translation or something like that.

This is the same sub translation that was used for Tsuburaya's Ultraman YouTube streams and despite Keith Aiken claiming the Blu-ray would have new subs back in June, it seems very little corrections were done with some of the more problematic lines still present.

My response to that aside, it really does suck that they didn't completely fix it but then it's not surprising either since in the case of the unsubbed previews, some of the Ultra BDs has segments that weren't subbed like with Ultraman Ginga & Ultra Galaxy Mega Monster Battle.
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:25 pm Reply with quote
It is heartbreaking that Mill Creek cheaped on on the subtitles. Like the review said, this should have been a landmark release.
heavyweather

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:01 pm Reply with quote
It's awful to hear that the release is so bad.

Mill Creek has a reputation for putting out mediocre releases, especially compared to other boutique labels, like Shout Factory and Kino Lober. I could easily see them putting the disks out with what they were handed - and I don't know if they have the knowledge of the product (or financial resources, quite frankly) to re-translate the show.

Hopefully we'll see a fixed release somewhere around the line.
AnimeFan617
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:22 pm Reply with quote
heavyweather wrote:

Mill Creek has a reputation for putting out mediocre releases, especially compared to other boutique labels, like Shout Factory and Kino Lober. I could easily see them putting the disks out with what they were handed - and I don't know if they have the knowledge of the product (or financial resources, quite frankly) to re-translate the show.

Has that ever happened before with releases like this? Certainly would like anyone to chime in on this.
Gurren Rodan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:44 am Reply with quote
AnimeFan617 wrote:
heavyweather wrote:

Has that ever happened before with releases like this? Certainly would like anyone to chime in on this.

When Mill Creek had the rights to the Gamera trilogy, they ended up reissuing Gamera III TWICE due to subtitle errors, at no expense to the buyers. I believe ore recently they also made replacements for the Return of Ultraman set due to problems with the booklet.
Mill Creek has been quiet about this one, however - and I do believe several people have tried reaching out.
OtherSideofSky

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:05 pm Reply with quote
heavyweather wrote:
I don't know if they have the knowledge of the product (or financial resources, quite frankly) to re-translate the show.

I find the financial angle hard to believe. Even a "good" rate for translating and timing subtitles for Japanese TV shows is so low as to be almost no barrier for even a small company. Most private individuals living above the poverty line probably have the financial resources to re-translate Gridman if they really wanted to.
voltwaffle

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:12 am Reply with quote
I'm glad ANN called out the horrendous subtitles; hopefully it puts a bit more pressure on Mill Creek to fix this dumpster fire. I e-mailed Mill Creek customer support and have heard nothing back. This really put me off buying any of their other Ultraman stuff.
guardianmega

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:20 am Reply with quote
Nicely done pulling the synopsis straight from the Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad intro. That was fun to read.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1