• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: North American Anime, Manga Releases, September 26-October 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:59 am Reply with quote
Is Robotech Part 1: The Macross Saga a duel release of both shows, or is there another reason for Macross being in the name?
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:04 am Reply with quote
No, this is not a duel release of Robotech and Macross.

While this is called Robotech, it is about Macross, just not the separate Macross franchise.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:56 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
While this is called Robotech, it is about Macross, just not the separate Macross franchise.
So it's not Robotech but it's not SDF Macross? I'm lost here Could you explain it to me please?
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:37 am Reply with quote
It's the Macross portion of Robotech. Robotech was made up of three separate Japanese TV series edited to be one long story divided into three story arcs. The first arc which used Super Dimension Fortress Macross as its source material was referred to as the Macross Saga, with a lot of the names being changed as well as quite a few plot points. For example Hikaru Ichijo becomes Rick Hunter, Misa Hayase becomes Lisa Hayes, the term Protoculture which was exclusive to the original version Japanese of Macross is changed from being the first civilization in our galaxy to an energy source that all the aliens from each of the three arcs are trying to obtain.

The other two shows used for the other two arcs Robotech were Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross, called just Southern Cross for Robotech, and Genesis Climber Mospeada, which was called The New Generation in Robotech.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:51 am Reply with quote
Oh i see, i had always thought that Robotech took the footage from these shows and merged them together, i didn't realise that it was just all three shows shown back to back. So it's sort of like Macross only with an altered script or do they not use every episode.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:14 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Oh i see, i had always thought that Robotech took the footage from these shows and merged them together, i didn't realise that it was just all three shows shown back to back. So it's sort of like Macross only with an altered script or do they not use every episode.

Well, they sort of did merge and edit them together, but they kept the general timline between the franchises intact. They did that so they could have one syndicated show, that could be put on American broadcast TV. Three separate series would not have been broadcast on TV at the time, due to how children's syndication worked at the time. I believe that was how it was explained in some other topic on this subject before.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:47 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

Exactly. They did use every episode, just changed some of the story details and dialog.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

Exactly. They did use every episode, just changed some of the story details and dialog.

The biggest changes occurred in the Super Dimensional Cavalry Southern Cross segments, because its story required the most work in order to bring it in line with the rest of Robotech's source materials. Unlike Macross or Mospeada, Southern Cross didn't take place on Earth. Instead of being about human colonists terraforming a world they presumed to be uninhabited, and then having to fight off the returning armies of the world's original inhabitants, Robotech: The Masters Saga changed the world to be Earth, and the nomadic aliens to be the "Robotech Masters", a race of puppetmasters who turned out to be responsible for all of the Zentraedi's actions during Macross. Over the course of The Masters Saga, the Robotech Masters were revealed to be engaged in a long-term struggle with the Invid (Mospeada's Inbit) over a resource that Robotech called "Protoculture".

In order to explain why none of the characters from Macross were around to defend Earth against the Robotech Masters, the story shot them all off into space, where they would have a bunch of off-screen adventures that were later covered in a series of paperback novels. To further maintain continuity, several of Southern Cross's characters were rewritten to have connections to the Macross cast: most notably, protagonist Jeanne Françaix became "Dana Sterling", the half-human/half-Zentraedi daughter of ace pilots Max and Miriya, while her childhood friend Bowie Emerson became "Bowie Grant", the nephew of SDF-1's Chief Communications Officer Claudia.

When all was said and done, the story actually came together pretty coherently, especially back when the audience could be assumed to not know how much work was being done to make all of the disparate pieces fit together.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1