• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pokémon Legends: Arceus Game's 'Restored' Video Reveals Hisuian Zorua, Zoroark

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:36 am Reply with quote
I'm still concerned if that guy's okay but it sounds like he was just thrown back and not consumed in an avalanche at least.

Nice to see what actually happened.
Firefly251

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Prof. Oak in gen1: "there are 151 pokemon"

Legends timeline is in long ago past: "we got more varied pokemon"

i question Oaks degree.
Ryujin99

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Firefly251 wrote:
Prof. Oak in gen1: "there are 151 pokemon"

Legends timeline is in long ago past: "we got more varied pokemon"

i question Oaks degree.

Personal ideas to explain this in-universe, tho I'm not sure I'd quite call them headcanons.
- At some point, a great deal of knowledge was lost in the pokemon world and pokemon knowledge either isn't readily shared between different regions or wasn't until fairly recently. What caused and when? No solid ideas (wars maybe?).
- Each generation represents a (set of) parallel universe(s), where only a subset of all extent pokemon actually exist. In that case, the Nat Dex of each gen is all the pokemon that exist within that universe. I don't actually like this idea, because it feels intellectually lazy, but... it's still an idea.
- Filling in the pokedex is just a gimmick to inspire kids to become actual researchers as adults (think like space camp or something), and the professors intentionally oversimplify things to make the kids working with them feel a greater sense of accomplishment with their work... of course, this doesn't really work when you consider that each dex containing entries for legendary and mythic pokemon that are supposedly insanely rare in-universe. But I think the general idea could work.

Of course, at the end of the day, the real reason for discrepancies like this is that new pokemon are essentially retconned into existence. So... I don't think there will ever be a perfect in-universe explanation for such discrepancies. Personally, I put it in the same general category as lore discrepancies in the Legend of Zelda franchise. It can be fun to discuss ways to make everything fit neatly together, but ultimately the franchise owners don't typically force themselves to make every game entry fit every bit of past lore perfectly... because doing so would eventually start stifling creativity.

Edit: added some stuff to the end.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1