• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: House of Representatives Censures Rep. Paul Gosar For "Violent" Attack on Titan

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:59 am Reply with quote
It took them a lot longer than what I thought they would in censuring him for that video, and it's not like censuring is a severe punishment, anyway.
AnimeFlyz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:06 pm Reply with quote
I thought the meme was pretty damn funny but thats just me. Laughing
Wyvern

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:50 pm Reply with quote
The gross thing about the video isn't even that it includes Biden and AOC, it's that it's called "Attack of the Immigrants," implying that immigrants are like Titans: mindless invading monsters who aren't even human and should be destroyed by government force. That's screwed up.

Paul Gosar, by the way, is the grandson of Slovenian immigrants. But I guess he thinks his own rules don't apply to him.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:54 pm Reply with quote
It wasn't funny to me; just dumb.

I noticed how people were shitting on famous people for liking Anime and questioning their dedication to the show. And it's obvious that he doesn't watch the show. The editing team may know but they're like... 5, years too late.

In any case, parody or not, it's more annoying that they spend time on this rather than actually doing something for their citizens. Censuring him is fine tbh
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
The gross thing about the video isn't even that it includes Biden and AOC, it's that it's called "Attack of the Immigrants," implying that immigrants are like Titans: mindless invading monsters who aren't even human and should be destroyed by government force. That's screwed up.

Paul Gosar, by the way, is the grandson of Slovenian immigrants. But I guess he thinks his own rules don't apply to him.
Couldn't have said it better myself. They are human beings just like us.
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:42 pm Reply with quote
I know people keep saying Parody, and while it’s true but the more appropriate term for it is Political Propaganda.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:44 pm Reply with quote
They should of impeached him!
Ryujin99

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:52 pm Reply with quote
510 wrote:
They should of impeached him!

Unfortunately, they don't have the votes for that unless a good number of Republicans care to join them (Liz Cheney and Adam Kinzinger are not enough). Recent history seems to show that this is not going to happen, especially since the reason the Democrats censured him was because they asked Republican leadership to discipline him and they refused to do so.
babajones

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:

Maybe his problem is with just illegal immigration and crossing the border illegally.... Thats does not mean he oppose all types of immigration
babajones

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:16 pm Reply with quote
I finally found it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evSLpmubjk4&t

So this is the cartoon that is inciting 'violence' against lawmakers and causing all the fuss ?! .. LOL.

A lot of people these days feel threatened by jokes and cartoons
Rentwo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:

There is a very big difference between people who go through the actual official immigration process for moving to a country and sneaking across the border illegally after you've been denied, if you even applied at all. As someone who went through the process to immigrating legally to Norway to be with my spouse, yes, it's certainly not a guarantee you'll be approved but then it's not a right to legally live wherever you want if a country says no.

A number of foreign athletes used the Tokyo Olympics as a way to gain entrance to Japan and then fled when it came to return to their home country. It's no surprised Japan took issue with that and would arrest them and deport them back for trying to do that. Most countries do not like illegal immigration, although it certainly seems to be controversial in the US to have that stance.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:10 pm Reply with quote
This is the guy whose own brothers and sisters campaigned against him in his previous two elections, which I feel like says quite a bit about the kind of guy he is.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Rentwo wrote:
Wyvern wrote:
Most countries do not like illegal immigration, although it certainly seems to be controversial in the US to have that stance.

The elephant in the room is that all this people would not come illegally into the USA if there were no jobs to be had, but the simple truth is that thru history the country has profited from cheap labor and then complains about illegal immigration. But the USA citizens that knowingly profit from hiring illegal immigrants get a slap in the wrist (if at all) an the cycle continues.

But sadly some people do believe immigrants (whether legal or not) and their progeny are monsters that come to harm them and walls must be built and firearms must be employed to stop this threat.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Rentwo wrote:

There is a very big difference between people who go through the actual official immigration process for moving to a country and sneaking across the border illegally after you've been denied, if you even applied at all. ... Most countries do not like illegal immigration, although it certainly seems to be controversial in the US to have that stance.

babajones wrote:

Maybe his problem is with just illegal immigration and crossing the border illegally.... Thats does not mean he oppose all types of immigration

As I shared in the last thread, specifically to babajones who either didn't read that response or is ignoring it, Gosar doesn't always distinguish between the two.

https://twitter.com/RepGosar/status/1457060087357378560

text: "Me omw to end immigration."

His ties to alt-right organizations is sufficient enough. It isn't about following due process, it's about white supremacy for him, specifically.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3