• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Reborn to Master the Blade Light Novels Have New Anime in the Works

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:00 am Reply with quote
J-Novel Club is also translating the manga to English.
Kitsu Kyouno

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:21 am Reply with quote
It seems that finally the gender bender will be a trend Very Happy
andramus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:12 pm Reply with quote
I've been reading the J-Novel Club releases for this series and I was hoping they would explore the possibility of the protagonist having a romantic relationship with another woman. It's mostly written from the protagonist's viewpoint and they have explicitly retained their sexuality from their past life. Leading to them feeling somewhat uncomfortable with any male attention being directed towards them because they have no desire to reciprocate.

I don't think the protagonist works as a metaphor for real world trans and other gender identities. I suppose you could say they are non-binary or gender fluid. They were a man in their past life but now they've been reborn in a female body they are happy identifying as being a girl/woman. It's more like they just go with the flow and embrace the identity society allots them. Which isn't to say that they don't push back against societal restrictions when it's something they're motivated about.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Kitsu Kyouno wrote:

Actually, gender-bending has been a trend in anime, manga, and light/web novels for a while. While I don't have any evidence to support it, I would think that "Ranma 1/2" might have been 1 of the series that helped popularize that trend. "Ranma 1/2" also was the Trope Maker for harems and also has a slant of reverse harem to it counting female Ranma's love interests.
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Not my favorite among the gender bender LN but the few i've read ( vol 1 + a bit of the manga ) was enjoyable nonetheless.
Still waiting desperately for Only Sense Online's anime.
Kitsu Kyouno

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Kitsu Kyouno wrote:

Actually, gender-bending has been a trend in anime, manga, and light/web novels for a while. While I don't have any evidence to support it, I would think that "Ranma 1/2" might have been 1 of the series that helped popularize that trend. "Ranma 1/2" also was the Trope Maker for harems and also has a slant of reverse harem to it counting female Ranma's love interests.

I have seen very few anime with a truly gender bender, generally I see just traps that seem to be much more popular than transforming into a real girl :/
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Kitsu Kyouno wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:
Kitsu Kyouno wrote:

I have seen very few anime with a truly gender bender, generally I see just traps that seem to be much more popular than transforming into a real girl :/

Well there is “Kashimashi: Girl Meets Girl” which you could either classify as a genderbender or a yuri.
RenimLS

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:33 pm Reply with quote
andramus wrote:
I've been reading the J-Novel Club releases for this series and I was hoping they would explore the possibility of the protagonist having a romantic relationship with another woman. It's mostly written from the protagonist's viewpoint and they have explicitly retained their sexuality from their past life. Leading to them feeling somewhat uncomfortable with any male attention being directed towards them because they have no desire to reciprocate.

Isn't she more or less asexual in the story? She's repulsed by the idea of having a relationship with men and she isn't particularly drawn to women in a romantic way either. Given the fact she lived to an old age as a man, she perceives the other girls around her as children and not people she could have a romantic interest in.

If anything, her gender-bending has simply resulted in really enjoying dressing up for herself and appealing to her own sensibilities of looking attractive based on her own thoughts as a former man.
Brizzle

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Haven't read this one, but it caught my interest because of Nagu-sensei's art. Hope to see more of them.
Sinsekihokimchiansu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Not sure if I'm gonna like this one.... Confused
tsog

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Nice. IIRC Nagu is Canadian, one of the rare non-Japanese/western artists to get an anime adaptation. Maybe raemz will be next with Chitose Is in the Ramune Bottle.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Well, this was a bit awkward to add to the spreadsheet. Anyone have any suggestions for how to make this part any better?
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:50 pm Reply with quote
andramus wrote:
I don't think the protagonist works as a metaphor for real world trans and other gender identities.

Probably not... That isn't usually the intention of gender bending.
andramus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:43 am Reply with quote
RenimLS wrote:
andramus wrote:

Isn't she more or less asexual in the story? She's repulsed by the idea of having a relationship with men and she isn't particularly drawn to women in a romantic way either. Given the fact she lived to an old age as a man, she perceives the other girls around her as children and not people she could have a romantic interest in.

If anything, her gender-bending has simply resulted in really enjoying dressing up for herself and appealing to her own sensibilities of looking attractive based on her own thoughts as a former man.

That's the interesting thing which I would have liked to see explored. So far as I can tell she's never met another woman who has expressed any romantic/sexual interest in her so she's never really had the opportunity to deeply interrogate her own feelings on the subject and whether she would be open to that kind of relationship. She clearly remembers being attracted to women in her past life - even as an old man - and in her inner thoughts expresses a degree of discomfort about bathing with other women who are naked - not knowing where to look etc. It's not clear to me from these inner thoughts whether she is repressing her desires or no longer has them in her new body but feels vaguely guilty because she remembers how she used to feel in her past life.
trilaan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:06 am Reply with quote
Another anime gender bender! Yay! I need more!

Millions of gender benders!
Gender benders for free!
Millions of gender benders!
Gender benders for me!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2