• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: .hack//G.U. Last Recode HD Remaster Collection Gets Switch Release in March

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:38 pm Reply with quote
.Hack is always a nice blast from the past.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:04 am Reply with quote
I was not expecting any of the Dot Hack games to get a modern port in 2022 and especially on the Switch. Can you play this game without playing the previous ones? I've only seen the original anime which I enjoy a lot.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:16 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I was not expecting any of the Dot Hack games to get a modern port in 2022 and especially on the Switch. Can you play this game without playing the previous ones? I've only seen the original anime which I enjoy a lot.

There are certain plot elements that make more sense or are enriched by being aware of the previous games, but not in a major way.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:16 am Reply with quote
OMG YESSSSSSS! I was praying it would get an English release! I’ll be importing the Japanese special edition too for the feelies included though.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:27 am Reply with quote
I hope this does well enough to get the original series remastered/remade.
OncelostLu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:59 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:

Same. I've been itching to replay IMOQ but no longer have a ps2 and am missing Infection (still have the other 3 though)
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:59 am Reply with quote
Quote:
15th anniversary franchise compilation launched for PS4 and PC in 2017

Quote:
The compilation launched on PS4 and PC via Steam in November 2017 worldwide. The game also had a physical release for PlayStation 4.

Rafael, do you have an agenda against PS4 and favor PC? There is no reason for you to even leave out PS4 and poorly word your sentence like that as if the game only released on PC. The bold fixes your mistake. Do better.
Vanadise

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:01 am Reply with quote
Rob19ny wrote:
Rafael, do you have an agenda against PS4 and favor PC?

Dude, the very next sentence says "The game also had a physical release for PlayStation 4." Read the whole thing before you get angry. Also, the way that you worded it would be saying that the PS4 version launched via Steam, which did not happen.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:29 pm Reply with quote
OncelostLu wrote:
Covnam wrote:

Same. I've been itching to replay IMOQ but no longer have a ps2 and am missing Infection (still have the other 3 though)

You should be able to emulate it pretty easy these days if you really need to scratch that itch.

Speaking of there being 4 games, I kind of hope more for a remake over a remaster. Maybe then they can squeeze them together some what to make it a more digestible length ^^;
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:38 pm Reply with quote
I own a copy but have stalled my finishing it since a lot of the rebalances they made threw the game pacing off a little. The original PS2 games had a very big problem in that the prep work required to access the next boss usually left you over-leveled.

There's many situations in the original where you have a to-the-death fight with someone or something, but can basically one-shot them with hardly any trouble.... only for the following cutscene to then show the enemy fine and your character struggling.

It's a lot harder now in the remaster to keep yourself from accidentally over-leveling to the point that combat becomes trivial. To be fair, dotHack games have never been particularly stellar in the combat department, but I'd been waiting all this time for some sort of mod to come out to properly rebalance & re-stat the combat to be a lot less "press-button & win", but it's been so long I don't think it's coming.

It's fun, the story is fun, but don't jump in expecting a challenge or the combat to be particularly mind-blowing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1