• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Streams Police in a Pod, Girls' Frontline, Slow Loop Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:27 pm Reply with quote
I wish Sentai had licensed 2 of these titles, but there is not much medium size Sentai can do to compete with a monopoly.
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Off topic a bit, I heard on online that Funimation completely ban VPNs (ditto Wakanim) and they even banning users for using VPN on their site/app -- while it still region locked ironically. Apparently Funi has war on VPN and legally watching Funi licensed animes while their site/app is still region locked is become more harder. No wonder piracy exist.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:06 pm Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
Off topic a bit, I heard on online that Funimation completely ban VPNs (ditto Wakanim) and they even banning users for using VPN on their site/app -- while it still region locked ironically. Apparently Funi has war on VPN and legally watching Funi licensed animes while their site/app is still region locked is become more harder. No wonder piracy exist.

If true, that isn't something that falls entirely on them. Licenses are acquired for certain regions, and the Japanese companies are going to expect that those terms be followed. Doing nothing about it probably isn't acceptable to the the rights holders.
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
ErikaD.D wrote:

If true, that isn't something that falls entirely on them. Licenses are acquired for certain regions, and the Japanese companies are going to expect that those terms be followed. Doing nothing about it probably isn't acceptable to the the rights holders.

So using VPN's is now as bad as watching animes on non-legal sites?
Electric Wooloo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:20 pm Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:

So using VPN's is now as bad as watching animes on non-legal sites?

That's... not at all what they said
They said that it was probably part of some license agreements.

Last edited by Electric Wooloo on Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:33 pm Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:

They are so region locked that my RSS feed service, which is based in a European country, cannot alert me to articles in Funimation's news blog. It's really annoying (though I suppose it's solvable if I find a website based in one of Funimation's regions that mirrors RSS feeds).
Newshawk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:35 pm Reply with quote
I started watching Police in a Pod on my Roku TV, The subtitles quit at the 11:30 mark and didn't return for the rest of the episode. This is not the only show that I've experienced bad subtitles from Funimation. This just reinforces the wisdom of hard coded subtitles that only Crunchyroll continues to use.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Six weeks until we get dubs. Six more months until these anime are done be dubbed. Neutral
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Glad Police in a Pod got licensed.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:38 am Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:

It's almost as if Funimation is a US-based business, one that isn't obligated to provide anime for the entire world. Oddly enough, I've seen sites like CR criticized for "teasing" viewers in other region by letting them access the website, news about licensing announcements, and show-specific pages before saying "These videos are not available in your country." Funimation tries to avoid this teasing effect by keeping their general site under heavier geo-restrictions, and they still get dragged. Damned if they do, damned if they don't, I guess.
ChomboTheMahjongSpider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:23 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
It's almost as if Funimation is a US-based business, one that isn't obligated to provide anime for the entire world. Oddly enough, I've seen sites like CR criticized for "teasing" viewers in other region by letting them access the website, news about licensing announcements, and show-specific pages before saying "These videos are not available in your country." Funimation tries to avoid this teasing effect by keeping their general site under heavier geo-restrictions, and they still get dragged. Damned if they do, damned if they don't, I guess.

Funi costs $5.99 a month in the US and £4.99 a month in the UK (currently the equivalent of $6.74). That extra $0.75 per month buys us fewer shows. Of course people are unhappy that they're being charged more for an inferior product regardless of how said inferior product and higher price is being presented. You're acting like people are unreasonable for not wanting to be gouged.
Dayraven

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:41 am Reply with quote
Quote:
That extra $0.75 per month buys us fewer shows.

We’re paying VAT on the service, the prices are pretty much the same if you take that out.

The app shows 618 shows available in the UK. I know there are shows not available here, but how many do US users see?

(Note for US posters, VAT is another name for sales tax.)
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:52 am Reply with quote
If you live in South East Asia, you can legally watch Police in the Pod and Girls Frontline on Muse Asia.
DamianSalazar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:18 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
ErikaD.D wrote:

Funimation is owned by a Japanese conglomerate and has grown since said conglomerate purchased them back in 2017, with the purchases of Wakanim, Madman Entertainment (and AnimeLab), Manga Entertainment, and their most recent acquisition Crunchyroll.

I don't even use their site to watch their content (their players are worse than Crunchyroll's previous ones), I use it for anime news I can't find on ANN or Crunchyroll News.
ChomboTheMahjongSpider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Dayraven wrote:
Quote:
That extra $0.75 per month buys us fewer shows.

We’re paying VAT on the service, the prices are pretty much the same if you take that out.

The app shows 618 shows available in the UK. I know there are shows not available here, but how many do US users see?

(Note for US posters, VAT is another name for sales tax.)

Where Funi's costs come from doesn't change my perception of the value of the service.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2