• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Licenses Dog & Scissors Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loveliver

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:33 am Reply with quote
I have a certain feeling of Gonzo's fate, but I can't put it to words.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:47 am Reply with quote
This is an odd Sentai former show for Funimation to relicense. Something like Angel Beats! would make more sense.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Angel M Cazares wrote:
This is an odd Sentai former show for Funimation to relicense. Something like Angel Beats! would make more sense.

These are all old Gonzo shows (plus Robotech, which had already been known), so there's no way Angel Beats! would have been in this announcement, since that was done by P.A. Works.

Since these are all Gonzo titles, I wonder FUNi might also grab some of the stuff that never got a home video release over here, like Saki or Ozma.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Angel M Cazares wrote:

These are all old Gonzo shows (plus Robotech, which had already been known), so there's no way Angel Beats! would have been in this announcement, since that was done by P.A. Works.

Since these are all Gonzo titles, I wonder FUNi might also grab some of the stuff that never got a home video release over here, like Saki or Ozma.

I am talking about former Sentai titles in general.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Some of these having Gonzo in common at least helps explain what I would otherwise think are kind of odd choices. A package that gave them a few relatively cheap shows with dubs probably wasn't a bad deal.
loveliver

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Angel M Cazares wrote:

Angel Beats! is an Aniplex license and Aniplex of America is streaming it on Crunchyroll, Funimation and Netflix, I believe.
Dark Mac

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Dog & Scissors is extremely bad. Not really worth rescuing, but oh well. Certainly inferior to fellow scissor anime Severing Crime Edge...
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:54 pm Reply with quote
loveliver wrote:
Angel M Cazares wrote:

Angel Beats! is an Aniplex license and Aniplex of America is streaming it on Crunchyroll, Funimation and Netflix, I believe.

This doesn't change the fact that Angel Beats! used to be licensed by Sentai.
Dfens

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Dog and Scissors was such a forgettable show that I barely got through it when it was airing and you could give me a free copy and I still wouldn't take it.

Most have been dirt cheap to license rescue it and re-release it.

As for Angel Beats even if Funimation wanted the show and could afford it Aniplex has made it a habit these past few years that when the license expires they take back the show and release it themselves at a much higher cost or they will let it rot in there library and no one gets to own a copy again.

Which is a shame I sold my copy of Angel Beats on Blu Ray new for big money really wanted to keep it but for what it goes for couldn't pass it up. Would love to re-buy Darker than Black on Blu Ray but Aniplex has said nope you can't have it.

Even one of my favorites that took nearly 10 years to get a DVD release and was not that popular Sentai lost the license because Aniplex wants to be bullies and let it remain out of print.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Some of these having Gonzo in common at least helps explain what I would otherwise think are kind of odd choices. A package that gave them a few relatively cheap shows with dubs probably wasn't a bad deal.

Though strangely enough, this also comes at a time when Funimation appears to be either losing licenses for older Gonzo titles, or allowing them to expire. Trinity Blood, Desert Punk, Solty Rei, and Witchblade are no longer streaming on Funi's site. Those shows still have discs for sale in Funi's store, though the same can't be said for the still-streaming My Bride is a Mermaid. Some older Gonzo titles like Burst Angel and Kiddy Grade are still present, so there doesn't seem to be any consistent pattern to the losses, unless some other production committee members have decided to adopt Aniplex's "don't renew old titles" mindset.

For the moment, this lost-rights trend only applies to Gonzo titles that Funimation licensed back when they aired -- the later license rescues from ADV and Geneon are still available.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:

Though strangely enough, this also comes at a time when Funimation appears to be either losing licenses for older Gonzo titles, or allowing them to expire. Trinity Blood, Desert Punk, Solty Rei, and Witchblade are no longer streaming on Funi's site. Those shows still have discs for sale in Funi's store, though the same can't be said for the still-streaming My Bride is a Mermaid. Some older Gonzo titles like Burst Angel and Kiddy Grade are still present, so there doesn't seem to be any consistent pattern to the losses, unless some other production committee members have decided to adopt Aniplex's "don't renew old titles" mindset.

For the moment, this lost-rights trend only applies to Gonzo titles that Funimation licensed back when they aired -- the later license rescues from ADV and Geneon are still available.

they disappeared when they were added to Latin America. So its not a rights issue, just a glitch/coding problem they haven't fixed yet
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:57 am Reply with quote
I've got zero interest in this awful show, but with Funimation licensing old Sentai stuff, is it possible they might redub any? No offense, but I've never really run into a Sentai dub that wowed me since they were ADV (seriously, what happened?). I'd love a new dub for Angel Beats, Made in Abyss, Shirobako, and Clannad.
Lizuka

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:41 am Reply with quote
Guess if there is a positive I can take from this it's that maybe someday if it comes down to it Funimation might also be compelled to bail out my weird offputting scissors anime of choice?
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:39 am Reply with quote
FUNimation and Gonzo obviously have a deep relationship; FUNimation Global Group just got done working with Gonzo on setting up Japanese streaming for Desert Punk, Samurai 7, and Romeo X Juliet.
Picky33

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:08 am Reply with quote
People don't realize most of these companies only make 1 maybe 2 runs a particular title and when that runs out they don't make anymore usually these runs are several thousand to tens of thousands units, which is why for the first couple years you'll see the title around but after 3-4 years it gets really hard to find on Home Video, look at any shonen series on Funimation, Rightstuf, etc. you can usually find the first 2 volumes in stock and the latest couple in stock but never the middle releases, i.e. volume 3,4 & 5 of a 10+ volume/part release.

Out of print release can get super expensive on places like eBay or resellers at Anime Conventions.

I always tell people if you really like a series you pick it up now, because it will disappear before you know it. For the people that say they can just stream it, there are 2 problems, Streaming sites use horrible compression technology and places like Funimation and CR don't tell you when a series will be leaving, they just disappear one day.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2