• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Naruto Uncut DVD Box Set 6

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:43 am Reply with quote
Anyone know if Viz ever releases whole series boxsets?I don't like the 13 episode chunck boxes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Heretic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:19 am Reply with quote
I'm a little ticked off that they pushed back the release date of box set 7. Here I was thinking they were actually going to be on time with a bi-monthly release, shame on me!

For Naruto, and other series of similar length I doubt Viz will put out whole series sets. They may put more episodes in a season set depending on the series, however.
Mmsven

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:39 am Reply with quote
Only 11-13 more boxes to go. Oh well, theres no chance I'm going to try the filler anyway, which I heard takes up the second half of this series.

I have only watched the first boxset, which I thought was good.

Judging from this review, the later episodes arn't as good. I remember watching some episodes on TV around this point (Rock Lee introduction and then some tournament stuff, specifically speaking) which originally gave me the idea that Naruto sucked. Lots of face-downs on those later episodes, most of which are in the tournament stuff (if they are what I think they are, anyway, since I don't know what face-downs exactly are, I believe its when every characters face flashes on the screen to show their expression and it pissed me off).

At this point, I only want to get the first two boxsets (want to conclude the arc presented in the first boxset around the end).
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:03 am Reply with quote
Liam O'Brien's Gaara is, definitely, one of the best performances I've ever heard in any dub; and I don't even like Naruto that much. I think what settled it for me was his scream after Sasuke hit him with the Chidori (I forget what episode that was in).

But I agree, the dub shouldn't be getting as much flak as it has, and still is.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:56 am Reply with quote
I dunno, there are times that the dub sounds campy - not that the orignal Japanese doesn't sound campy from time to time, it's just that the english version takes it up a level and as a result, sounds a bit... off. Some of the intensity from some of the characters suffers in the supporting cast, IMO, while the leads that move the story along seem to do fine most of the time.

Maybe the dub deserves some (and I mean a very tiny amount) flak, but I don't think it's a horrible dub; it's just not an excellent dub either - it's just... kinda average, and I think most of us can live with that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:55 am Reply with quote
Cool Cool, I think Manga ended up running Naturto into the ground after making a total mess of Season 2 so I doubt a UK version any time soon.
rizuchan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:04 am Reply with quote
It's really too bad, because Naruto's dragging is what stopped me for watching it. I was able to deal with it up until Naruto and Sasuke's fight in season 5 or 6 (I don't remember) that was remnant of DBZ in taking 5 episodes to power up.

I was able to watch DBZ though, and I think that's because amidst all of the drawing out and powering up, they actually had a few humorous, or at the very least mildly entertaing, subplots, while Naruto mostly forces you to watch it all, or cuts to a flashback no one cares about.

Not to mention Sasuke's way to similar to Super Saiyan 3 transformation was a bit of a turn-off. Mad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:20 am Reply with quote
Oh my...you can count on me for giving Naruto dub (and sub to a lesser extent) IMO the deserved "flak!"

BELIEVE IT! Rolling Eyes

To name a few, dragging on the story, completely failing to surprise me (predictable), and cliches.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Are you actually talking about the dub, Kirkdawg? It sounds more like your beef is with the writing.

As I alluded to in the review, I'm of the strong opinion that Naruto peaks during episodes 78-81, where Naruto's battle with Gaara climaxes, the attack on the Hidden Leaf Village reaches its dramatic resolution, and the painful aftermath gets confronted. Those episodes speak to the heart and soul of both Naruto as a character and the series in general better than at any other point in the series. Most of the later arcs bog down in tedium, and the (much) later climatic spoiler[Naruto/Sasuke battle] just becomes a completely overblown spectacle. Earlier scenes do have their moments, but the series never put everything together as completely as it did in that run.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rizuchan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of the dub, I actually really like the Naruto dub. It gets a lot of critisism for stupid reasons, but I think it's very well done. I sort of said it above, but I'm not really into Naruto these days (I was a big fan about 5 years ago) but I watch the dub on TV from time to time and I've just always thought Naruto's american voice was perfect. It really surprised me, because I was afraid they'd give him too deep a voice (as often seems to be the case in dubs with younger boy characters)

A lot of fans seem to complain about Naruto's voice actress being an older woman (so what?) or my favorite, the mispronunciation of names. No, they are actually pronouncing Naruto right. Ironically, the character's names they do pronounce wrong (Shikamaru is the only one that comes to mind) Are never complained about...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Wyvern

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:17 pm Reply with quote
It's refreshing to see someone defend the dub. The english version gets WAY more flak than it deserves; it's well-cast for the most part, despite some rough spots. And the Toonami version is sparsley edited and faithful to the original.

And yeah, Key, having seen all of the first season (minus the awful fillers) I have to agree, the show really comes together well at the end of the Attack on Konoha arc, and it's never been that good since. The following arc is kind of dull, (though the climatic fight is pretty neat) and the one after that is incredibly drawn out, consisting of Naruto and friends running through a forest for something like 20 straight episodes.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:51 pm Reply with quote
I have to say, I adored the dub. Many people already said the dub was going to suck before it even came out, next to that, a lot were already anti-dub fans. When you're sucked into that negative mentality, perhaps it's either difficult or too stubborn for that person to think otherwise.

Did anyone see on the episode that aired 2 weeks ago, Toonami put up a disclaimer rather than editing the hell out of that episode? I believe it was the one with Sakura vs. Kabuto.

Next to that, "believe it" isn't even that much used in the series anymore. I mean, yes, it replaced "dattebayo." But what I don't understand, why do people even bother to complain when they don't even watch the dub? It just sounds like another excuse to bash without any solid or good reason.

I already had a guy complain that any anime that is dubbed is the worst anime to watch, and are for f*gs...

Ignorance is not bliss...
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:33 pm Reply with quote
humm I was thinking about buying a set or two for the end of the chunin exams and the Sasuke retrieval arc cause it's my favorite part of the plot, but yeah. Naruto has alot of crap to wade through to get to the gold, but IMO the gold is worth it for the most part. I prefer the manga cause it's easier to ram though the seemingly endless fights.

The dub isn't bad. I've seen a few eps and liked them well enough. I think Naruto's english voice suits him very well. same with Sasuke's.
Xanas

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:55 pm Reply with quote
I find it incredibly odd that some people hate the fights in this show. That's generally what i look forward to. The episodes where they are galavanting about with the regular humor don't do too much for me in Naruto. I watched the first few episodes of filler since they started.. and it's been.. not nearly as good. I don't hate it like others might, and I'm sure they'll be some decent arcs but I definitely don't look forward to it as much.

I loved the Neiji/Naruto fight, Gaara/Sasuke/etc. The whole Chunin exam was a lot of fun to watch.

This almost seems the wrong show for people who don't like the fights. I guess I liked dbz though, so lots of fighting is kind of my thing in a show like this. If I wanted something without fighting I'd watch Clannad (and do).
As far as the dub goes, I like it much better than the original japanese in most cases, save a few of Naruto's lines.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Keke, I don't understand the complaints about Naruto here. I love the series -- absolutely love it. Never had any real complaints, except for the fillers, and any time the anime (not the manga) might drag something out a bit.

Really, it's easily one of my favorite manga/anime.

...Just throwing that out there amid all the criticism...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2