• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hana Yori Dango Gets Korean Live-Action TV Remake

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkhunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:35 am Reply with quote
There's a taiwanese adaption, Japanese and now korean adaption. Is this really necessary?
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:13 am Reply with quote
Must be popular enough that everybody wants to see at least one version in their own country. Heck, we could get some over the top version over here if somebody was actually willing to put down the money.
Wing_Goddess

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:03 am Reply with quote
I love the Japanese drama, but i doubt i'll be watching the Korean one v_v;
Bunk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:47 am Reply with quote
If anyone can do the series justice it's South Korea. Their dramas are amazing. (Go watch My Lovely Sam-Soon, if you haven't seen any of their dramas yet!) I watched Meteor Garden, and it was gripping, but with the exception of Vanness Wu and Barbie Xu, the cast clearly couldn't act.

The Japanese version was too rushed, and the supposedly terrifying F4 looked ridiculously sickly and waifish (sorry to anyone who liked it). I couldn't get past the first episode, it was so bad. It was completely unbelievable.

But South Korea has got it goin' on. Their actors can act circles around everyone else. I hope they cast it well. I've been waiting for them to take this story on. Can't wait![/u]
kokuryu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:12 am Reply with quote
Wow, if they specced for 24 x 70 minute eps, then they have some superb script going on there. I have been very impressed by Korean done dramas before - I am definitely looking forward to this one.
Sakuya Masaki

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:33 am Reply with quote
Hana Yori Dango is one of my absolute favorite series ever and it makes me so excited that it's getting another live action adaptation! I've been a fan of the manga and anime series for yrs. now, but I've been surprised how popular it's become. It seemed to always be popular in Japan (it ran for 12 yrs. so it had to gather some popularity), but it's been kind of in shoujo obscurity in America for a long time. It seems like it gathered a lot more fans when the Japanese drama came out.
The Japanese drama is really very, very good and so much fun to watch. I started off w/mixed feelings about it, but I gradually really warmed up to it and totally fell in love w/it. I'm now watching Meteor Garden, but I have to say I probably would have liked it better if I had seen it before the Japanee drama. The Japanese version has a much bigger budget (as you can tell by the fact that they've shot in New York for the series and now Hong Kong and Las Vegas for the movie) and I like Matsujun (again, hesitant to accept him in that role at first, but I now adore him) as Domyouji much better than Jerry Yan. And I am so excited about the Korean drama! I think it will be great and I'm really looking forward to it.

Hana Yori Dango is taking over the world one country at a time! Just a matter of time before there's an American drama series. Laughing
aluria

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:37 am Reply with quote
I loved the Japanese version! Inoue Mao is a great actress. I'm definitely going to watch this. Korean dramas are starting to grow on me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
scrapps

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm really looking forward to this, most of the Korean dramas I've seen have been fantastic.

I loved the Japanese drama, but I do have to agree with Bunk partly. While I was already a fan of Matsumoto Jun, when I first saw the F4 they seemed so small and wimpy. But even if they are short in stature, they had the huge egos and physical dominance of their characters down. MatsuJun made a fantastic Domyouji by the end of the series.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Bunk wrote:
The Japanese version was too rushed, and the supposedly terrifying F4 looked ridiculously sickly and waifish (sorry to anyone who liked it). I couldn't get past the first episode, it was so bad. It was completely unbelievable.

Well, what can you expect when they get pretty boys to play the supposed villians of the series? That's to get more girls to watch it, since it is based off of a shojo series. Some of them I can't even remember, but I know a select number of them are from Arashi.
Sakuya Masaki

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:05 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Bunk wrote:

Well, what can you expect when they get pretty boys to play the supposed villians of the series? That's to get more girls to watch it, since it is based off of a shojo series. Some of them I can't even remember, but I know a select number of them are from Arashi.

Well, I really wouldn't say the F4 are the villains of the series. In the beginning, Tsukasa is definitely an antagonist, but that changes over time as he and Tsukushi fall in love. In the beginning, you might call them the "bad guys", in a way, but as the series progresses, there are many other characters who take the role of Tsukushi's foe as she befriends the F4 and falls in love w/Tsukasa.
And Matsumoto Jun is the only member of Arashi to be in the HYD Japanese live action drama.

And to Bunk, I really recommend giving the series another chance. I was a bit wary of the casting for the F4 as well when I first saw the series, especially Matsumoto Jun whom I felt was too short and goofy to be Tsukasa. It took me a long time before I would even watch the 2nd ep., but I did eventually and it really grew on me very quickly. I really came to love all of the actors and I think everyone did a really good job in their roles. It really is so much fun to watch and I love it dearly.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Sakuya Masaki wrote:
Well, I really wouldn't say the F4 are the villains of the series. In the beginning, Tsukasa is definitely an antagonist, but that changes over time as he and Tsukushi fall in love. In the beginning, you might call them the "bad guys", in a way, but as the series progresses, there are many other characters who take the role of Tsukushi's foe as she befriends the F4 and falls in love w/Tsukasa.
And Matsumoto Jun is the only member of Arashi to be in the HYD Japanese live action drama.

That's the word I was looking for. Anyways, Tsukasa seems to act like an a-hole in the beginning, but he can never get rid of that rich-boy ego of his. It's funny how over time their relationship develops though.
Sakuya Masaki

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:20 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
That's the word I was looking for. Anyways, Tsukasa seems to act like an a-hole in the beginning, but he can never get rid of that rich-boy ego of his. It's funny how over time their relationship develops though.

That's one of the things I love about the series. At first, I really hated Tsukasa (because he really is quite the a-hole in the beginning) and was totally rooting for Rui, but Tsukasa totally stole my little fangirl heart when he rescued her from being dragged behind that car. Just totally changed my opinion of him! I feel like sometimes this series is really underrated. I think some people get turned off of it because the artwork in the beginning of the manga really isn't all that great (but it's really cool to see how Yoko Kamio's abilities progress throughout the series), but the story is so good that it just shines through and I think it shows since now there's going to be a 3rd live action adaptation of it.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Tsukasa and Rui both displayed their personality differences early on in the series, so it was easy to tell who you liked and who you might not have liked. It seemed the atmosphere would have been appropriate for Tsukushi and Rui, but the comical encounters and Tsukasa and Tsukushi plus Rui's own ambitions in another direction is what turned it around. In respect, it was a funny adaption, and made me want to check out the manga. I still haven't gotten around to it though.
Sakuya Masaki

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:09 pm Reply with quote
The manga is really very good. Like I said, I've talked to some that won't read it because the art style in the beginning is off-putting to them, but it really has such an interesting story. It is a long series (36 total books), but it's so good. The Japanese drama does follow it pretty well, but of course, there are a lot of ways that it differs. They changed quite a lot, but they did a good job adapting it overall. Anything I could say I wish they had changed or did differently would just be nitpicking.
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:41 pm Reply with quote
just to clarify. So there's going to be a newmovie to end the japanese drama? I thought the ending was perfect enough! Hahaha
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2