• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Uncle From Another World

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:30 pm Reply with quote
[MODERATOR NOTE: Since the reviews this thread is attached to are based on where the American Netflix release is, any discussion of content beyond that point (i.e., two episodes behind where the Japanese release is) will be considered spoilers. If you want to discuss current-episode content by Japanese release, please check out the series' thread in the Series Discussion forum.]

"These scenes hurt me right in my soul"

Glad I am not the only one, I love the series but I also feel so bad for Elf... its sometimes really hard to read.

I would love an interview with the writer, making an isekai that it's actually a huge series of reaction videos, its such a great idea, it grants 2 jokes in one: you first see the funny thing happening in uncle's past and then you see his nephew's reaction to it duplicating the "funny" with minimum effort.

And if you think it for a second, the humor it's scenically just "One Punchman the isekai" and it would just be labeled as a copy if it didn't have the "My nephew reacts to me killing a dragon" part,
WANNFH

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Uncle may not know the term "tsundere" but... surely he saw Evangelion right? It aired in 1995 after all.
And it was sponsored by Sega. Yeah, that's how we establish the punchline joke for the next episode review Laughing
SkyLETV34

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:32 pm Reply with quote
I was going to comment about today's episode until I realized the review was for the first episode. I almost screwed up haha.

It's so weird that there was an official version with English subtitles since day one but it was released outside Asia 2 weeks later.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:42 pm Reply with quote
The moment he had to memory wipe himself to forget that SEGA lost the console wars, I knew I liked this guy.

Nothing brings a nephew and uncle together quite like making money on youtube through his Isekai powers.

The uncles' revulsion to other people in the Isekai world reminds me of Makoto from Tsukimichi.

And yeah...I feel bad for the elf girl. The guy had no awareness of tsundere's and took all her comments at face value and kept constantly ditching her even when she kept following after him. He even proposed! And she was one of the only people to take care of and stand up for him. I wonder if it's going to be this bad with the other girls given he talked about never having any companions.

Also it's pretty surreal to see Haruka Tomatsu playing the tsundere elf love interest to a Takehito Koyasu character after SAO.
RoninPioneer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:50 pm Reply with quote
"• Uncle may not know the term "tsundere" but... surely he saw Evangelion right? It aired in 1995 after all."

spoiler[Funnily enough, this exact point gets addressed in episode 2.]
09jcg

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:18 pm Reply with quote
I was kind of on the fence with the first episode, but spoiler[that Asuka/Eva joke in episode 2 completly sold me on the show lol]
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Do keep in mind that the reviews this thread is attached to are based on where the Netflix release is, so any discussion of content beyond that point (i.e., two episodes behind where the Japanese release is) will be considered spoilers.

I'll add this notice to the first post, too, to make sure no one misses it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:00 pm Reply with quote
RoninPioneer wrote:
"• Uncle may not know the term "tsundere" but... surely he saw Evangelion right? It aired in 1995 after all."

Does Love Hina ever get referenced?
WANNFH

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:13 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
Never - plus it ain't really fit, considering Love Hina anime series started a few months after Uncle got transported to another world (he got hit by truck in January 2000).
EB01

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:30 am Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
Shay Guy wrote:
Never - plus it ain't really fit, considering Love Hina anime series started a few months after Uncle got transported to another world (he got hit by truck in January 2000).

Jan 2000 for "Truck Kun" does raise a question on timing and a lack of awareness of Sega post-Saturn. The Dreamcast was officially launched in Japan Nov 1998. The last Sega Saturn Magazine issue would have out well before "Truck Kun". Though it would have been too early to have known of the Dreamcast sales flattening during 2000.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:28 am Reply with quote
EB01 wrote:
Jan 2000 for "Truck Kun" does raise a question on timing and a lack of awareness of Sega post-Saturn. The Dreamcast was officially launched in Japan Nov 1998. The last Sega Saturn Magazine issue would have out well before "Truck Kun". Though it would have been too early to have known of the Dreamcast sales flattening during 2000.
For the Dreamcast, Uncle is aware of it spoiler[because it was the implied reason why he went that day when he got hit by a truck] - it's just he's not a person who is diving into new tech gadgets since day one.
spoiler[And by the last Saturn records, it's actually fitting right - the final ratings book which Uncle ordered was released only in April 2000, also a few months after he got transported to the new world.]
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:15 am Reply with quote
Easily my favorite show this season. I'll admit that I've been watching it every Wednesday night for the past three weeks. Each episode has been superb and I really hope this series will go on for seasons to come.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:02 pm Reply with quote
I can’t remember the bit WANNFH refers to but I just presumed he probably couldn’t afford a Dreamcast.

Anyone happen to know whether the western Netflix release uses identical English subs to the Japanese Netflix release, by the way? Not sure what the point is in delaying it by two weeks if so.
jdnation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Just watched the dorst episode of this. Haha! It's great! Hopefully the while show lives up to this level. It's rare to see Netflix in NA do weekly shows as normally they put a whole season up and only Japan gets weekly runs.

Between this and seasons like Bastard and Spriggan ending on absolute cliffhangers, Netflix is likely looking for ways to retain subscribers.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:58 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
RoninPioneer wrote:

I mean,he looks like(and even sounds like!) an older Aoba...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4