• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Reveals Gunbuster English Dub Cast

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
igiari21

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:18 pm Reply with quote
I don't even know who half of these people are... Shame that Discotek continues to use Sound Cadence. Discotek does great work and the dubs never rise above mediocre IMO.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:24 pm Reply with quote
So, is Gunbuster still edited?
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:27 pm Reply with quote
I personally think the dub sounds solid so far and I'm glad when dubbing studios hire new talent instead of just using the same popular voice actors all the time. And there's still some fan favorites in this dub like Lisa Ortiz and Cristina Vee.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I'm looking forward to this. Hopefully they'll dub Diebuster too.

Some people are saying that the dub will be mediocre, but I don't see the dub ever going below the standard quality we had back in the 90s. At worst it'll be okay. Worst case scenario, it ends up sounding like a 90s dub, which'll just add to the nostalgia factor since it's an 80s OVA.
boldulysses

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:25 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Honestly, I'm looking forward to this. Hopefully they'll dub Diebuster too.

YES. Diebuster is a work of art as far as I'm concerned. A dub would be glorious.
v_i
Enjoying the time of EVE
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:20 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
So, is Gunbuster still edited?

Depends on which edit you're referring to. Technically, every single release, barring the original Japanese VHS is edited, as the had to airbrush out some of the nudity in the bath scene, or potentially face an obscenity charge.

The second set of edits refers to those made for the UK release. Kiseki made a few minor edits to prevent a BBFC 18, and they exist only on their VHS and DVD release, and do not apply to any US or Japanese release.

The next set of edits likely refers to the changes to the music that exist in all releases from the 2007 US release onward. These were made for legal reasons, and Discotek has confirmed there here to stay, and they have no control over it.

The final set of edits refers to the changes in audio made for the BD. As the M&Es track for Gunbuster is gone, they re-recorded some of the music and special effects for the new 5.1 mix. As this is the only way the dub exists (and why one hasn't been made until now), those changes will be present in the dub. It is unclear if the original Japanese audio track (minus the 2007 music changes) will be included at this time.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:27 am Reply with quote
Sound Cadence has done a lot of good work recently, so I'm excited to hear what they do with Gunbuster. Marissa Lenti directed the dub of Kageki Shoujo which I just finished (very late) and that dub was excellent. New talent doesn't necessarily mean bad talent.
v_i
Enjoying the time of EVE
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:38 am Reply with quote
igiari21 wrote:
I don't even know who half of these people are... Shame that Discotek continues to use Sound Cadence. Discotek does great work and the dubs never rise above mediocre IMO.

The short answer is cost. The long answer is also cost, but it gets a bit more complicated.

The sad truth is that there are significantly less studios dubbing anime then there used to be, and a good chunk of those left are owned by (or almost exclusively work with) Discotek's competitors.

Your options for dubbing anime right now, assuming you're not Funiroll (In-house, Okatron 5000, Studio Nano), Sentai (Seraphim Productions), or Netflix (VSI) are essentially the following:
NYAV Post (expensive) {Discotek has worked with them on Memories}
Studiopolis (expensive)
Bang Zoom (very expensive)
Kocha Sound (even more greenhorn than Sound Cadence)
Iyuno • SDI (they're infamous for a reason)

TAJ is gone, DuArt is gone, Animaze is gone, Intersound is gone, Coastal Carolina is gone, New Generation and PCB Productions really only does games now, Ocean hasn't done anime in forever, and Salami only seems to do an anime every few years. The hard truth is that anime dubbing just doesn't make money unless you're doing it on the super cheap. And this isn't new. Kevin Seymour famously said Animaze never made money on a single anime they dubbed. Short of funding a dubbing studio themselves (and that worked out so well for Media Blasters), Discotek's hands are tied if they want dubs on the cheap (or even just not outrageously expensive).
Note that none of this applies to Lupin III or Case Closed, as TMS handles the dubbing of those themselves, and tend to chose the expensive California dubs for them.
v_i
Enjoying the time of EVE
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:47 am Reply with quote
MagicPolly wrote:
Sound Cadence has done a lot of good work recently, so I'm excited to hear what they do with Gunbuster. Marissa Lenti directed the dub of Kageki Shoujo which I just finished (very late) and that dub was excellent. New talent doesn't necessarily mean bad talent.

Agreed. All talent is new talent at one point. And sometimes they knock it out of the park on their first major role (Lisa Ortiz as Deedlit in Record of Lodoss War, Crispin Freeman as Tylor in The Irresponsible Captain Tylor, Aaron Dismuke as Alphonse in Fullmetal Alchemist, just to name a few)
GNPixie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:29 am Reply with quote
v_i wrote:
Ocean hasn't done anime in forever

Vanguard OverDress was just last year though?
v_i
Enjoying the time of EVE
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:30 am Reply with quote
GNPixie wrote:
v_i wrote:
Ocean hasn't done anime in forever

Vanguard OverDress was just last year though?

I stand corrected! My point still stands in that they're doing far, far less anime then they used to.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:13 am Reply with quote
v_i: FFS, that Chariots cue is Fair Use . Married with Children had that song, and no one lawyered up over it.
v_i
Enjoying the time of EVE
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:15 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
v_i: FFS, that Chariots cue is Fair Use . Married with Children had that song, and no one lawyered up over it.

Except "fair use" isn't a thing in Japan, and Japanese companies are the ones deciding what can and cannot be included on the Discotek release. Discotek not including it isn't because they fear getting sued, it because their Japanese licensor said it was off limits because they fear getting sued.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:23 am Reply with quote
V_i: But they don't mind going to jail for tax fraud. Rolling Eyes
v_i
Enjoying the time of EVE
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:26 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
V_i: But they don't mind going to jail for tax fraud. Rolling Eyes

Except Gainax isn't even involved anymore. Gaina owns the rights to Gunbuster now. You can blame the initial 2007 removal on them, but a separate, not-tax-fraud-commting company is the current owners, and presumably the ones that told Discotek "no" to the original soundtrack, not that they could include it in the dub anyway, because it's based on the Japanese remaster.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3