• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: List of Voice Actors Diagnosed With COVID-19 in July

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:55 am Reply with quote
I knew it was crazy the past 2 weeks, but when the list is lined up like this... July as a whole was insane. So insane that Rafael had to make this article. I hope August isn't as crazy as July.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:15 am Reply with quote
I'm curious, do talent agencies that these seiyuu work for require their consent to make this information public? In other words if I was a Japanese seiyuu would I have the right to keep my illnesses private? I thought that past and current medical conditions were considered as sensitive and classified private as any personal information we don't wish to share with others. Or is covid19 in particular exempt from this?
Alphonae

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:33 am Reply with quote
Hope they all make a speedy recovery.
PyrosAWX

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:53 am Reply with quote
Past wrote:
I'm curious, do talent agencies that these seiyuu work for require their consent to make this information public? In other words if I was a Japanese seiyuu would I have the right to keep my illnesses private? I thought that past and current medical conditions were considered as sensitive and classified private as any personal information we don't wish to share with others. Or is covid19 in particular exempt from this?

I'm pretty sure most them were reported because the voice actors were scheduled for a fan gathering or a TV/Radio show and they needed to give the reason of cancellation. COVID-19 is probably less scary than saying "sudden illness". I wouldn't be surprised if more voice actors got it but it didn't made it public due to having no appearances planned.
ralphyman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:29 am Reply with quote
You can add Aguri Onishi and Sayuri Date to the list too, their positive tests were announced yesterday (although technically that's not in July anymore)
sakurablossom143

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:37 am Reply with quote
Arthur Lansburry as well. They announced his either on the 31st of July or 1st of August TvT... So many... that's such a scary thing to look at.
charliepanayi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:53 am Reply with quote
sakurablossom143 wrote:
Arthur Lansburry as well. They announced his either on the 31st of July or 1st of August TvT... So many... that's such a scary thing to look at.

It's not scary though is it as I assume these people are all vaccinated and will be perfectly fine even if they feel ill for a bit
dreamEnd

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:20 am Reply with quote
Has there been any case where Japanese VA passed away from COVID?
sakurablossom143

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:24 am Reply with quote
charliepanayi wrote:
sakurablossom143 wrote:

It's not scary though is it as I assume these people are all vaccinated and will be perfectly fine even if they feel ill for a bit

Oh, I'm sure that they're vaccinated. I just meant it's just scary to see so many names in a single month Sad

Last edited by sakurablossom143 on Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:25 am Reply with quote
Rob19ny wrote:
I knew it was crazy the past 2 weeks, but when the list is lined up like this... July as a whole was insane. So insane that Rafael had to make this article. I hope August isn't as crazy as July.

On June 21, the rolling 7-day average of COVID cases was below 14,000.
On August 1 the rolling 7-day average of COVID cases was over 202,000.

It's a direct correlation.
Mew Berry

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:58 am Reply with quote
sakurablossom143 wrote:

Small correction: his name is spelled Lounsbery. But yeah, I was going to mention him too. He tested positive on the 29th and it was announced a few days later.
Vanadise

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:24 am Reply with quote
I think it's worth noting that the COVID-19 infection rate in Japan is currently the highest it's ever been, over twice as high as the previous surge. Who could've predicted this would happen when everybody decided to just stop taking any precautions at all...

As a side note, although the infection rate reported by the CDC in the USA seems relatively low right now, it's most likely massively underestimated due to the fact that people aren't getting tested at clinics and many regions aren't even reporting tests any more. Estimates based on testing international travelers and wastewater indicate that the infection rate is currently somewhere between 5x to 10x what is currently being reported, which would be comparable to the previous surge when Omicron was new (https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/11/health/ba-5-hidden-covid-case-increase).
Octonian
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:38 am Reply with quote
charliepanayi wrote:

Certainly none will die and almost certainly none will be hospitalized. I'd still say it's scary though, some may develop long COVID which can have health and quality of life impacts for weeks, months, or permanently.

https://twitter.com/WesElyMD/status/1537034226129944576
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:16 am Reply with quote
Vanadise wrote:
I think it's worth noting that the COVID-19 infection rate in Japan is currently the highest it's ever been, over twice as high as the previous surge. Who could've predicted this would happen when everybody decided to just stop taking any precautions at all...

As a side note, although the infection rate reported by the CDC in the USA seems relatively low right now, it's most likely massively underestimated due to the fact that people aren't getting tested at clinics and many regions aren't even reporting tests any more. Estimates based on testing international travelers and wastewater indicate that the infection rate is currently somewhere between 5x to 10x what is currently being reported, which would be comparable to the previous surge when Omicron was new (https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/11/health/ba-5-hidden-covid-case-increase).

Yeah, no surprise there. I'm now curious to see how Japan will react since it only recently decided to allow tour groups. I could see it delaying that, or at least making them decide that free-wheeling tourism is off the table. Even if the infection rates aren't attributable to foreigners entering Japan, I could see it being handled like it is since they've been pretty content to maintain travel restrictions longer than most other countries.
-Matthew-

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:22 am Reply with quote
I wish all of them fastest recoveries!!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2