• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The ANN Aftershow - Made in Abyss Delves into Reg's Mysterious Past

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:41 am Reply with quote
Each to their own, when it comes to Made in Abyss. Been watching anime since the Eighties, so I have seen it all already. So I guess I am inured to some of the gross stuff. It is the main characters and the several mysteries that keep the story going and keep me interested. I want to see just how far down did Rika's mom went. Obviously, the Golden City is not an endpoint, but rather just a waystation.

In some ways, the Golden City is a trap. You get a form of security, but at the price of your humanity.

What I felt was a discongruity, was all the denizens know the rules of the Golden City, so how can they feel safe doing bad things, like assualting Rika, when they know those security 'snakes' will get them. This is the North Pole, and Santa knows when you are being Bad or Good children.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:10 am Reply with quote
I tried getting into the series, but it is just not for me, which sucks because I love how creative the world can be. Certain other parts are just a bit too creative.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:34 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Each to their own, when it comes to Made in Abyss. Been watching anime since the Eighties, so I have seen it all already. So I guess I am inured to some of the gross stuff.

Maybe that's it. When people started complaining about Made in Abyss during the first season, I'd wondered what people were talking about, because I hadn't noticed any of it (on the other hand, I managed to miss all the Shiro fan service in No game, no life, too).

This second season is different, primarily because of the increased emphasis on scatology.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:46 am Reply with quote
dm wrote:
Maybe that's it. When people started complaining about Made in Abyss during the first season, I'd wondered what people were talking about, because I hadn't noticed any of it (on the other hand, I managed to miss all the Shiro fan service in No game, no life, too).

This second season is different, primarily because of the increased emphasis on scatology.

I think it was genuinely much more muted in season 1 (not the violence, but the sexualizing -- and, uh, related scatologicalizing? -- of Riko, Reg, et al). Most of the people who I remember calling out the author's creepy fetishizing at the time were doing so in significant part by pointing to manga comparisons, I think. But it has been ramping up over time, and is especially noticeable in the latest season, even for anime-only viewers.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:26 pm Reply with quote
I just...want them to quit violating the characters by sticking things in their bellybuttons!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
thepepin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Haven't seen the second season as I don't have HiDive - the first was on Amazon back when they licensed the Noitamina stuff - but as far as fanservice goes all I remember from the first season was the weirdness where "breaking the school rules means getting tied up and suspended from the class ceiling while nude" (briefly shown in the first episode) and the somewhat less weird scene towards the end where Nanachi cajoles Reg and Riko into taking a bath together (half because she knew that they liked each other, half in order to indulge in her second favorite pastime of trolling Reg, as she knew - based on her aversion to Reg's petting her - what would inevitably happen and that Riko would yell at him over it).

Ah well, maybe it is because all that I remember from that show is the extreme violence/gore, grotesque nightmarish monsters, the terrifying white whistles and the constant dread of the abyss itself.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:28 am Reply with quote
ANN_Lynzee wrote:
I just...want them to quit violating the characters by sticking things in their bellybuttons!

Good News! There is no bellybutton violating in the current arc of the manga.
(mind the current arc is but two chapters in)

dm wrote:
Quote:

Underage characters + kinky sexual material = alarms bells/complaints.

Some raise complaints over the illustrations showing the underage female characters displaying themselves topless-The "extra chapters", the author's addition to each completed volume.
(Anime-only folks don't get to see Riko's or Faputo' tits and so on,but manga readers do)
Then there's the kinky shit that gets toned down from the source v anime.

Must be a few who got thrown for a loop upon the realization that MiB is not some dark children's fantasy but a full blown body-horror romp.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Season 2 is feeling less and less like season 1 with each minute. In a way season 1 feels like a normal fantasy title, given that you could go a whole episode with very little happening that is not par the course for Anime. I think one episode of season 2 has the same amount of bodily waste talk as the whole of season 1.

Unless something noteworthy happens soon, I'm interested in them leaving ASAP and going travelling. My favourite part of season 1 was them traversing the layers.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:39 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
.Unless something noteworthy happens soon, I'm interested in them leaving ASAP and going travelling. My favourite part of season 1 was them traversing the layers.

The first season toned down certain scenes that would've clued folks in to MiB's body-horror aspect and the author's kinks.

Though the body-horror gets ratcheted up with certain reveals,the toilet and gang rape scene are the worst of the kinky stuff contained in this arc.The kinky stuff left is pretty mild,weird,but mild.

(This entire arc revolves around the village..)
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:22 pm Reply with quote
The Urusei Yatsura TV four part set is a must buy for me. Discotek's library is becoming more and more impressive.

Kamen Rider is the only SegaCD game i have left. Drag-on Dragoon/Drakkengard 1-3 I avoided like the plague but Nier was a blast. Fans of any one of the games does not guarantee you will be a fan of the other games in the series. Taro is pretty out there. I remember Zac liking Automata. I haven't touched the last season of My hero besides what Lynzee talked about.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:07 am Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
The first season toned down certain scenes that would've clued folks in to MiB's body-horror aspect and the author's kinks.

Though the body-horror gets ratcheted up with certain reveals,the toilet and gang rape scene are the worst of the kinky stuff contained in this arc.The kinky stuff left is pretty mild,weird,but mild.
I'm fine with the body horror, as I feel that makes sense for the title, It's about exploring into new and dangerous territories, both literally and figuratively. I 'm just not into Riku going to the toilet in the middle of a lift or a toilet with tongues that cleans you.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1