• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tubi TV Streams B't X Anime, B't X Neo OVA

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:05 pm Reply with quote
A Kurumada classic!
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:09 pm Reply with quote
The B't X anime was my introduction to Masami Kurumada's catalog, since DiC's Knights of the Zodiac didn't interest me at all back in 2003/2004, so I'm glad to see that it's now fully available for free over at Tubi, and the dub by Sound Cadence is just outstanding.

That said, it really shows just how much of a Bizarro Land "North of Mexico" has become, since B't X is readily available via both streaming & DVD boxsets (which even became two of the Top 4 Best-Selling DVD releases on Right Stuf recently, due to a "Small Publishers" sale), while the OG Saint Seiya anime is nowhere to be found, once Netflix dropped it earlier this year. Personally, though, I'm all for Bizarro Land!
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:49 pm Reply with quote
In case you don't know:

The Anime ending and the Manga ending are quite different, just in case somebody is curious.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
In case you don't know:

The Anime ending and the Manga ending are quite different, just in case somebody is curious.

Not as much as you'd think, though! While the direct end is indeed different, the anime wound up having a surprising number of plot beats that the manga would later also do, which makes one wonder if the anime influenced Kurumada, or if Kurumada told the anime staff about some of his then-future plans, & just let them handle things their own way.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Yep, I started to watch it on TubiTV even before ANN announced this (let say I randomly stumbled upon the anime).

I'm kinda surprised that Bandai, Geneon, or Saban in the late 90's didn't license this anime, I mean this could've fit well in the 90's Toonami lineup if Bandai or Geneon had license this anime back in the old day. But still, I'm glad to see this anime being streamed on TubiTV. I love to see more 90's anime that wasn't previously license in the US to get US release.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Looks like FOX (who owns Tubi) wants to get into the anime game for some reason.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:11 pm Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
Looks like FOX (who owns Tubi) wants to get into the anime game for some reason.

Wants to get into it? There's been anime on Tubi for ages
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:10 am Reply with quote
Another property that's due for a reboot. An anime reboot.
Kusakabe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:26 am Reply with quote
I love TubiTV, it has so many diamonds!
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:49 am Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:

Well, they did have a brief love affair with anime via Fox Kids and Fox Family before those 2 got sold to Disney.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:48 am Reply with quote
The Not so Chosen One wrote:
Another property that's due for a reboot. An anime reboot.

Unfortunately, all of the various anime studios have a seeming fear of potentially competing directly with Toei & Saint Seiya, which has resulted in nothing else from Kurumada being adapted to anime ever since Ring ni Kakero 1: Sekai Taikai-hen (which itself was done by Toei) in 2011. The closest thing since was Otoko Zaka getting a short "motion comic" in 2017 to celebrate the manga's return to Shonen Jump(+). TMS itself was the last one to take advantage of Toei not doing anything when it made the Seiya: The Lost Canvas OVAs from 2009 to 2011, and it's plausible that Toei partially made the last two seasons of RnK1 in response to TMS, because of course Toei would be that kind of petty.

The best we'll seemingly ever get now are new animation being made for pachislot & pachinko machines, which has already happened for Fuma no Kojirou, RnK1, & B't X, the last of which TMS did actually produce new footage for, & even brought back some of the anime cast to reprise their roles.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:02 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Yep, I started to watch it on TubiTV even before ANN announced this (let say I randomly stumbled upon the anime).

I'm kinda surprised that Bandai, Geneon, or Saban in the late 90's didn't license this anime, I mean this could've fit well in the 90's Toonami lineup if Bandai or Geneon had license this anime back in the old day. But still, I'm glad to see this anime being streamed on TubiTV. I love to see more 90's anime that wasn't previously license in the US to get US release.

Bt’X was licensed by Illumitoon for the US, but they never finished releasing it.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:00 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

Bt’X was licensed by Illumitoon for the US, but they never finished releasing it.

And there's at least one report that ADV had licensed B't X prior to Illumitoon, but seemingly dropped it before ever working on it, because they had the chance to work on Saint Seiya instead, via DiC's original license for Knights of the Zodiac.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:57 am Reply with quote
Fans of this series should be called B'tniks.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:

And there's at least one report that ADV had licensed B't X prior to Illumitoon, but seemingly dropped it before ever working on it, because they had the chance to work on Saint Seiya instead, via DiC's original license for Knights of the Zodiac.

Holy cow, I didn't know of this. Thanks for the info, Lord Geo. So it's possible we could've had B't X shown on Toonami back in the late 90's/early 2000's if ADV had license this anime back then.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1