• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gokurakuin's Sekirei to be Animated for TV This Summer

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Siegel Clyne

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Quoting portions of my post, MOON PHASE Miscellaneous Notes: Sekirei Animation Decision?, dated December 21, 2007, 04:40 AM GMT, on a Sekirei manga thread at another forum...

Sekirei Favorite Character Poll on AtWiki Japan

Quote:
Quote:
Sekirei Drama CD Cast

Character : Voice Actor (Seiyuu)

Sahashi Minato : Tachibana Shinnosuke

Musubi (Sekirei No.88) : Kawasumi Ayako

Kusano [Kuu-chan] (Sekirei No.108) : Tamura Yukari

Tsukiumi (Sekirei No.09) : Tanaka Rie

Matsu (Sekirei No.02) : Matsuoka Yuki

Kagari / Homura (Sekirei No.?) : Hirata Hiromi

Uzume (Sekirei No.10) : Kobayashi Yuu

Miya Asama [Ooya] (Sekirei No.01) : Oohara Sayaka

Seo Kaoru : Nakai Kazuya

Hikari (Sekirei No.11) : Kaida Yuuko

Hibiki (Sekirei No.12) : Neya Michiko

Minaka Hiroto : Seki Toshihiko

Narashino (Sekirei No.74) : Takahashi Mikako
[Drama CD original character]

Tsudanuma Osamu : Kawada Shinji
[Drama CD original character]

Sekirei Character Popularity Poll on AtWiki Japan

[Poll Results Updated for this Post]

Choices - Votes

Asama Miya [Sekirei No.01] - 150 votes

Matsu [Sekirei No.02] - 224 votes

Kazehana [Sekirei No.03] - 124 votes

Karasuba [Sekirei No.04] - 28 votes

Mutsu [Sekirei No.05] - 4 votes

Yume [Sekirei No.08] - 6 votes

Tsukiumi [Sekirei No.09] - 401 votes

Uzume [Sekirei No.10] - 2 votes

Hikari [Sekirei No.11] - 51 votes

Hibiki [Sekirei No.12] - 2 votes

Iki [Sekirei No.19] - 1 vote

Mitsuha [Sekirei No.38] - 1 vote

Yomi [Sekirei No.43] - 1 vote

Yashima [Sekirei No.84] - 3 votes

Musubi [Sekirei No.88] - 132 votes

Kuno [Sekirei No.95] - 4 votes

Haihane [Sekirei No.104] - 2 votes

Benitsubasa [Sekirei No.105] - 3 votes

Shiina [Sekirei No.107] - 5 votes

Kusano [Sekirei No.108] - 11 votes

Homura [Sekirei No.?] - 33 votes

Akitsu [No Sekirei No.] - 2 votes

Drama CD original character Narashino [Sekirei No.74], who talks in Kansai-ben (Kansai dialect) - among other things, she uses the honorific suffix "-han" instead of "-san" - is not listed as one of the choices in the poll.

Tsukiumi in the Sekirei drama CD reminds me of Suigintou in Rozen Maiden, Tomoe Marguerite in My-Otome, and Isabella in Soukou no Strain. In addition to all of them being voiced by Tanaka Rie, they all intensely dislike the main heroine in the story - Suigintou hates Shinku, Tomoe hates Arika, Isabella hates Sara, and Tsukiumi (sorta) hates Musubi.

While Suigintou and Tomoe suppress their anger most of the time, Tsukiumi has an extremely short temper and often explodes in fits of rage, yelling and screaming in the unique trademark fashion of Tanaka Rie.

Unlike the evil, crazy, psychopathic villain Tomoe, or the sad, pitiful, one-time villain Suigintou, or the mean, nasty, spiteful bitch Isabella, however, the seemingly always angry Tsukiumi acts tough, but (as someone else elsewhere has noted) is really just an innocent girl wanting to be loved.

Last edited by Siegel Clyne : 2007-10-06 at 03:28. Reason: Added Asama Miya's appellation, "Ooya" ("Landlady"). While others refer to Miya as "Ooya-san," Tsukiumi, who speaks in an archaic manner, calls her "Ooya-dono."

According to an entry on MOON PHASE Miscellaneous Notes (MOON PHASE Zakki), Wednesday, December 20, 2007, Japan Time, the next series from YOUNG GANGAN seinen manga magazine, published by SQUARE ENIX, to be animated after Bamboo Blade appears to be a title with the "name of a bird" ("tori no namae").

The YOUNG GANGAN manga series with a "bird's name" is Sekirei.

"Sekirei" means wagtail in Japanese.

I think that, in all probability, the Sekirei anime cast will be more or less the same as the Sekirei drama CD cast listed above in my earlier post, with additional seiyuu for additional characters in the anime.

Ayako Kawasumi's voice fits the naive Musubi. Sayaka Ohara's fits the oneesama Miya Asama. Rie Tanaka's voice fits the tsundere Tsukiumi.

Rie Tanaka's short tempered Tsukiumi sounds like Suigintou and Tomoe Marguerite in constant angry road rage mode (minus the evil and the villainy). That alone should attract the many devoted, if not fanatical, Suigintou fanboys in Japan.

Because she and her voice have become so closely associated with Suigintou, a character she has made famous and popular, anime fans inside of Japan - and, for that matter, outside of Japan - often refer to Rie Tanaka as Suigintou or as Gin-sama, Suigintou's nickname.

Even though a new Rozen Maiden anime has not aired on Japanese television in well over a year and a third series or a third season of the popular Rozen Maiden television anime series has yet to be announced, as I have documented elsewhere on the Internet, Suigintou remains popular.

Radio personality Suigintou hosts a highly successful hit internet radio show in Japanese, Suigintou no Koyoi mo Ennu~i (Suigintou's It's Ennui Again, Tonight). The Suigintou no Koyoi mo Ennu~i Web Radio Vol. 4 CD, starring Rie Tanaka as Suigintou, goes on sale April 23, 2008 in Japan.

However...

Aniplex reportedly got the domain,

http://www.sekirei-tv.com/

Frontier Works produces the Sekirei drama CD.

Googling Aniplex and Frontier Works together, as far as I can tell, shows no connection between these two companies on any anime.

Because of that lack of connection, some Japanese fans believe that there will be wholesale changes in the cast from the Sekirei drama CD to the Sekirei anime.

On the other hand, Googling Aniplex and Seven Arcs (Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha series; Inukami! TV series and movie) together, as far as I can tell, shows no connection between these two companies on any anime prior to Sekirei.

In addition, YOUNG GANGAN official website's introduction page for the Sekirei manga lists the Sekirei television animation announcement next to and just above the Sekirei drama CD cast list.

So hope remains for the Sekirei drama CD cast being at least partly retained for the Sekirei anime.

We will see.

In any case, the Sekirei anime should do well in Japan with the fighting girls and the T & A a la Ikkitousen.

And, true to her background of creating BL/yaoi manga and doujin, Sakurako Gokurakuin's Sekirei also features the ultimate trap, a Sekirei who suffers from gender identity confusion and is either a male changing sex to female, a futanari (hermaphrodite), or whatever else you can think of.

Last edited by Siegel Clyne on Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:53 am; edited 1 time in total
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Kuu-chan's va is that of nanoha..........
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Siegel Clyne

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:14 pm Reply with quote
rankothefiremage wrote:
Kuu-chan's va is that of nanoha..........

You're right.

That could be a sign that Seven Arcs might retain at least part of the cast from the Sekirei drama CD for the Sekirei anime.
Siegel Clyne

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Siegel Clyne wrote:
Aniplex reportedly got the domain,

http://www.sekirei-tv.com/

The official website for the Sekirei television anime series is now up.
Westlo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:52 am Reply with quote
The drama cd lineup is pretty much perfect and Tsukiumi > all.
sailorsean

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:30 pm Reply with quote
looks interesting...can't wait!
Phantom14

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:46 am Reply with quote
To those that dont know, prepared to be boobed. Becuse, well, basicly thats all there is, not that im complanning. It just that, it took me almost 20 chapters to actualy get into the storyline of this manga, becuse i had almost no idea what the hell was going on. But ya, boobs to the max for sekirei.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:57 pm Reply with quote
I love the sekirei anime and it should be good in a show...but its a bit short atm so they should release more mangas of it b4 the show comes out...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1