• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Tomo-chan Is a Girl!

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aerdra

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:30 am Reply with quote
Of the new rom-coms this season, Tomo-chan is the one I like the most so far. I've been laughing through every episode I've seen.

I'm pretty sure Jun'ichirō has realized how he really feels about Tomo, but is doing his best to pretend otherwise.
TheSleepyMonkey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:58 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Outside of that, Tomo-chan is also incredibly well-animated

Seriously? I mean, there's nothing here I would outright call terrible, but I don't see anything that would warrant being called "incredibly well-animated" either - specially since it's done by roughly the same team as Fanfare of Adolescence, which also was nothing specially great or terrible from a visual standpoint.

That aside, this has been really fun so far. The voice acting has specially been a great highlight, which is to be expected when you have Rie Takahashi and Kaito Ishikawa as the leads.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:45 am Reply with quote
It's pretty great when a romcom manga you enjoyed to bits finally gets an anime adaption that's firing on all cylinders from the production values, the music, the voice acting, and the overall direction/execution.

I love Tomo! She strikes a great balance between being a genuine tomboy while still having a girlish side and how that effects her relationships. And having Rie Takahashi voice a tomboy is pretty fun. But the voice cast is firing on all cylinders in general.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Carol has been my favorite character so far and I enjoy she has this mischievous side to her but it's in a playful way and she clearly wants to be friends with Tomo and I like her friendship with Misuzu. My main frustration is with Jun as I feel like it's kind of confusing so far if he actually realizes Tomo is a girl or not. Like in some scenes the characters clearly refer to Tomo as a girl and Jun reacts to casually to it or when Tomo is clearly in a skirt in front of Jun but other times Jun acts like he still thinks Tomo is a boy. I'm not sure if this was a thing in the manga too or just how it's handled in the anime but it makes keeping up with things kind of frustrating sometimes.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:08 pm Reply with quote
I thought I was done with RomComs, especially high school ones, but I have to say I'm really enjoying this one. I mean its gotten me to chuckle and even laugh a bit, so that's a good sign. Misuzu is a hoot being the mischievous little gremlin that she is. In a way Misuzu is your good bad friend. I think the analogy of Tomo to a shonen hero as mentioned actually works.

As far as Jun goes, I think there's a few things going on there. Mainly he's trying hard not to think too much of Tomo as a girl (but he sometimes gets jealous), because he's not ready to deal with that yet. And he's not ready to deal with it because first it means dating your Sensei's daughter and second in this episode he doesn't quite feel he's worthy of her. Primarily, because she's still the better martial artist. So while Jun is sometimes a little more savvy than Tomo they are both just meat head jocks. Nice kids, but kind of clueless and flailing at this moment in their lives. I also think that Jun is a bit confused about how to deal with everything and it shows with the way he's going about things. In that respect Tomo is more honest with her feelings, she wants to date Jun but since he's ignoring those feelings she's hit on this idea that being more feminine will get his attention.

Its not really a new idea, but what works is the comedy and the timing. Man that accidental slip of the tongue bomb at the end of episode 2 and Jun quickly covering his mouth was hilarious for me and I couldn't wait for the next episode to see what the fallout was. Very Happy

Anyways enjoying it far more than I thought I would.
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:52 pm Reply with quote
I like the characters, but I don't care much for the premise. Junichiro flip flopping on whether he sees Tomo as a girl or not gets annoying since there's no consistency, it'd be better if he just treated her 100% as a guy and wouldn't have his little jealousy tantrum. Cause if he realize that she likes him and he likes her, but doesn't want to go out with her while also trying to stop any other guy from getting close to her, then he's just an asshole.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately, it's imposible to explain Jun without falling into spoilers.

The closer I can get is: think of his mental state as having an HP bar, whenever Tomo deals "Damage" weakens his "Resolve" and becomes more and more aware of reality.

That's why Mizusu tells him "It will take you a while to reset this time" the day after the skirt incident, that dealt critical damage.

That's the reason for his inconsistency.
b-dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:18 am Reply with quote
I think my question/concern is whether the character dynamics change at anything beyond a glacial pace, or if this is going to lean hard on status quo. it seems like the latter; in which case I'm not interested in continuing to watch.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:11 am Reply with quote
b-dragon wrote:
I think my question/concern is whether the character dynamics change at anything beyond a glacial pace, or if this is going to lean hard on status quo. it seems like the latter; in which case I'm not interested in continuing to watch.

Oh, the series is quite short and will fit enterally in the 13 episodes it has programed, if anything the main plot moves kinda fast, the reason it will last 13 episodes is because some of them will tackle other characters.
absent
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's also nice to know that Carol isn't completely stupid and that she recognized she was contributing to the problem. The implication is that she can make those observations because she knows what it's like not to be seen the way she wants to by someone she loves.

The impression that I got is that Carol's ditziness is at least partly an act. The show hasn't really let us into her head yet, but she seems to have had some sort of plot going on in every episode she's been in. I think that she and Misuzu are pretty similar, honestly.

Last edited by absent on Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:28 pm Reply with quote
The idea of Jun agreeing that he is being an hypocrite but don't getting why was to show that he himself doesn't understand his own feelings.

How is Jun processing his feelings you ask?

He isn't, that's the problem.
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:52 pm Reply with quote
I have to say I really love the ED of this series, it's straight out of the Ranma 1/2 ED play book. The cast singing, the characters interacting within their own frames, the martial arts, it's all there. Just a great throwback.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Sally Amaki must be having the time of her life in two different languages. That's how amazing she is as Carol.

I respect Tanabe for shooting his impossible shot despite how savage Misuzu can be.

I can't wait to meet Misuzu's mom!

I see Tomo and Jun's relationship kind of parallels Tomo's parents. The husband is really awkward and self-conscious around the wife because he loves her too much while she wants his affection...while Jun doesn't come off near as awkward or tense, he just hides behind seeing Tomo as a "guy" or downplaying her girlishness.

Poor Carol. Sister-zoned and just casually brushing your boobs like they're nothing.

The progression of Ogawa and Mifune's girl crushes on Tomo never ceases to amuse me.
ItsThatBriGuy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
Unfortunately, it's imposible to explain Jun without falling into spoilers.

The closer I can get is: think of his mental state as having an HP bar, whenever Tomo deals "Damage" weakens his "Resolve" and becomes more and more aware of reality.

That's why Mizusu tells him "It will take you a while to reset this time" the day after the skirt incident, that dealt critical damage.

That's the reason for his inconsistency.

This. It's also been subtly hinted that Jun already fell for her at the beginning of middle school (the year he barely talked to her). This theory is reinforced by his dates with Gundo in second year being clearly planned for Tomo. He's maybe waiting for her to catch up to him rather than the other way around.
Aerdra

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:10 am Reply with quote
Jun secretly beating up the guys threatening Tomo was sweet, but it seems their relationship is still stuck in friend mode. Meanwhile, poor Carol is treated like a little sister, an even more difficult situation than Tomo's.

Still the funniest rom-com of the season.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6