• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Giant Beasts of Ars

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Test
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aerdra

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:35 am Reply with quote
So there's a girl wearing a cat as a hat traveling with the party, and there's a girl who looks and sounds exactly like her except that she wears a dog as a hat instead, and according to the OP, there's going to be seven of these "chapeaus" in total. I searched for the source gacha game, but apparently this show is anime original.

The first two episodes set up a lot of plot points, and there's potential for an interesting story here. However, I agree with the episode reviewer that episode three felt weak. It felt dull, with neither the action nor the character development all that exciting. The one thing it did manage was to introduce the fourth (out of five, according to the OP) character to join the party. But the number of episodes left in the season is limited, so the show will need to pick up the pace if it wants to tell a satisfying story by the time it's done.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:52 am Reply with quote
For me, I think that I have mostly been drawn by Myaa. I think that I have a soft spot for the tiny merchant character, where she reminds me of that one from Granblue. The cat on her head is weird, but somehow just works as interesting quirky, with her cat like speech.
Aerdra

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:35 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
For me, I think that I have mostly been drawn by Myaa. I think that I have a soft spot for the tiny merchant character, where she reminds me of that one from Granblue. The cat on her head is weird, but somehow just works as interesting quirky, with her cat like speech.

I definitely see the resemblance: face, hair, pet. Just instead of being "everywhere and nowhere at once", this merchant has a bunch of Nurse Joy clones. It was the gimmicky nature of the character that made me think this anime was a gacha game adaptation.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:47 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

I'm wondering if the cat is actually Myaa and just controlling the body that it's riding on. It would certainly make for an interesting twist to the story.
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
I'm wondering if the cat is actually Myaa and just controlling the body that it's riding on. It would certainly make for an interesting twist to the story.

Yes! I wondered the exact same thing.
Aerdra

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:55 pm Reply with quote
I can't say I liked episode 4 much. It felt like something was missing in between the plot points as the story went through the motions. At least the party's together, so hopefully future episodes pick up the pace.
FuzzyDave

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, this show is not making it easy to like, is it? Should have been an easy keeper for me given how much I enjoyed the first two episodes, but the third was just OK, and I didn't like this one at all. I'm going to put it on hold for now, and keep reading these writeups to see if it improves
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5 featured some distractingly bad animation during the fight scenes. Here's hoping the quality will pick up soon, and I'm still amused by the different Chapeaus who look and sound exactly like Myaa but feature different animals on the tops of their heads.
Aerdra

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5 was generally fine. The most interesting thing right now isn't Jiro's party, but rather the seemingly important and ominous events happening elsewhere, setting the stage for future conflict. I'm still concerned whether the show can handle all the plotlines it has set up by the end.
Vanadise

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:50 pm Reply with quote
It's ironic that for a series with "Giant Beasts" in the name, the giant beasts are the least interesting part of it.

I'm enjoying it so far, but -- or perhaps because -- it feels like a throwback to early 00's fantasy series, which is a little concerning at this point because those were usually 2 cours. The pacing is pretty languid considering that we're at five out of twelve episodes, so I hope it kicks things into high gear soon.
Fugaz-Star

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:45 pm Reply with quote
I really like this anime, even though the plot swings from very interesting to dull sometimes, still the worldbuilding keeps me from dropping it.
Tough I find really weird the race of the mountain men and their little wives. If that doesn't seem to ooze "lolis with big fat ugly men" fetishism, then idk what. When they were introduced they seemed quite short, but as the story progressed they seem to get smaller and smaller. By the end of the last episode the "wives" almost looked like fairies compared to the men. IDK it feels weird and it kind of made me want to drop it, because it ruined the whole experience for me.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:47 pm Reply with quote
While I have generally enjoyed this series (especially its sense of world-building), I have, at times, found it to fall short of its potential on the storytelling front. Nowhere is that more evident than in episode 10. The episode wasn't a complete disaster, but except for Kumi's situation at the end, it never properly achieved a dramatic impetus. Some of the problem was that Mezami did not carry enough weight as a villain, but even beyond him, too many scenes lacked tension or energy. The series has shown that it is capable of better, so hopefully that was just a brief problem spot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aerdra

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
While I have generally enjoyed this series (especially its sense of world-building), I have, at times, found it to fall short of its potential on the storytelling front. Nowhere is that more evident than in episode 10. The episode wasn't a complete disaster, but except for Kumi's situation at the end, it never properly achieved a dramatic impetus. Some of the problem was that Mezami did not carry enough weight as a villain, but even beyond him, too many scenes lacked tension or energy. The series has shown that it is capable of better, so hopefully that was just a brief problem spot.

I definitely agree with you and with the reviewer: this show is mostly fine, but seems to be wasting potential. In addition to what you mentioned, I found it hard to care about the experimental prototypes (including the one that blew herself up a few episodes ago), so Kumi desire to save them feels distant like a random item on a checklist.

I mentioned this before, but I'm still concerned whether this show can wrap up its loose ends in time. I'm a little worried that there won't be a proper ending and the story gets continued in a gacha game or something.
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:14 pm Reply with quote
That non-ending was hilarious, real "we hoped to get a second cour, but then nobody watched" energy to it all. Also good to see that the show just stopped pretending to care about the prototypes; I assume they were all still on the ship in a constant drugged state when it slammed into a beast.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2