• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Reddit Anime Awards Reveal 2022 Nominations

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lotus Viridis

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:11 pm Reply with quote
I applaud the inclusion of Do it Yourself a ton. It's my favorite from last season, but I think I can hear the stampede of Bocchi fans out for blood already.
TheSleepyMonkey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Can't wait to see fandoms erupt in anger because their series didn't win an inconsequential prize.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm not going to knock CR for not including Fall series because I doubt CR would want to kill recency hype unless it was for a very good reason (i.e. judges formerly having to submit picks before Fall shows are even finished), but it is nice to also get a pretty comprehensive view of the year with something like this.

The Good Stuff:
- The Short nominees are such a fun group! I love that we get a super popular Hololive music video right next to like, a sweet little short film about a cat. I'm also happy the Poketoon shorts were recognized because some of those were the cutest things I've seen from the franchise (particularly the Gengar one).
- The Case Study of Vanitas getting a jury nomination for Cast and Dramatic Character was very appreciated.
- I actually really liked Requiem of the Rose King's moody watercolor backgrounds, and I'm glad it wasn't overlooked despite its other production shortcomings.

This Makes Me Sad:
- No Dance Dance Danseur nominations anywhere, not even in Drama where I figured it was a sure thing.
- No Mob Psycho 100 III in AOTY, either from the public or the jury. I'm sure it just missed out given the competition, but it was my personal AOTY pick, so looks like I'll have to vote for Kaguya instead.

The Biggest Surprises:
- Attack on Titan not getting enough votes from the public to make it into AOTY. I know it aired early in the year and thus might have been overlooked by some, but I don't think that's as much an issue for a huge title like this. I'm sure it's been voted in every other year, so it really speaks to just how many good and popular shows we got this year that it didn't quite make it.
- Not so much a surprise, but man you know the Action category was stacked with hits when the jury has to nominate popular shows like Bleach TYBW or Jojo themselves.
kuma991

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Man, 2022 was weak
suna_suna

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:15 pm Reply with quote
looked at the voting page and the story is missing both "Bocchi the Rock" and "Akebi -chan no Sailor Fuku" as additional nominees for Anime of the Year
Saeryen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:41 pm Reply with quote
This list is missing Healer Girl, which was the best thing I saw this year. Also missing are my other top picks: Delicious Party Pretty Cure and Bibliophile Princess. Also Waccha PriMagi! is missing (it ended this year).

In fact, I don't see a single shoujosei on here, which is way disappointing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Frog-kun
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:00 pm Reply with quote
suna_suna wrote:
looked at the voting page and the story is missing both "Bocchi the Rock" and "Akebi -chan no Sailor Fuku" as additional nominees for Anime of the Year

Thanks, added. Don't know how they got overlooked
RoninX

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:07 pm Reply with quote
No Aquatope?!?!

Edit: Nvm, that was 2021 lol
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Saeryen wrote:
This list is missing Healer Girl, which was the best thing I saw this year. Also missing are my other top picks: Delicious Party Pretty Cure and Bibliophile Princess. Also Waccha PriMagi! is missing (it ended this year).
In fact, I don't see a single shoujosei on here, which is way disappointing.

If you look outside of AOTY, there's a couple shoujosei shows in non-main categories (like Sasaki & Miyano in Best Romance or Rose King in Background Art). There's also a few noms for Healer Girl, PreCure, & PriMagi in the genre, production, & character categories.
Matros

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:09 pm Reply with quote
No Mob S3 huh? I guess some people don't see quality even if you slap it in ther faces.
Aerdra

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Too bad Akiba Maid War wasn't nominated for Anime of the Year, although to be fair, it's up against tough competition even in the Comedy category.

One thing the r/anime awards do right is that the fall season isn't pushed to the next year, like Crunchyroll's awards.
Toyokaaaa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Oh wow, even reddit came up with the better list than Crunchyroll. It may not be perfect, but I'll take it over its counterpart.
bagman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:22 am Reply with quote
Made in Abyss is a major snub, by far the best show of the year in my books. Agree with the lack of Mob though, the ending didn't whelm me as much as I'd hoped - disappointing for a show that only got better for the first 2.5 seasons
JustMonika

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:10 am Reply with quote
Extremely shocked once again that My Dress-Up Darling didn't get an AOTY nomination. I honestly believed it was going to sweep everything this year.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1