• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Saga of Lioncourt Manga Ends in Next Chapter

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fenrin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:05 am Reply with quote
Thank god they changed the title, it clashes horribly with the visuals.

Is it any good though?
wolf10

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:52 am Reply with quote
The original web novel reads like a satire of edgier-than-thou period fantasy, the manga was a completely deadpan reinterpretation. So, uh, your mileage may vary?
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:16 am Reply with quote
Fenrin wrote:
Is it any good though?

Do you enjoy a sociopath's rise to fame kind of stories? If, then have at it...

You might want to read the manga guide for it;
animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2022-05-22/the-spring-2022-manga-guide/the-saga-of-lioncourt/.185447
The reviews being of the first volume is going to give a bit skewed impression on the series as a whole as it jumps off a cliff afterwards. If you want to know why I say that and don't mind spoilers, I recommend checking the posts relating to Lioncourt in the comment thread of that article.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:08 pm Reply with quote
wolf10 wrote:
The original web novel reads like a satire of edgier-than-thou period fantasy, the manga was a completely deadpan reinterpretation. So, uh, your mileage may vary?

I read the early chapters of the manga. It totally doesn't feel satire so I'm really surprised by this information.
wolf10

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:42 am Reply with quote
BlueAlf wrote:
I read the early chapters of the manga. It totally doesn't feel satire so I'm really surprised by this information.
To be clear, the objectionable content is as bad or even worse than the manga, but the big difference is the web novel's exaggerated sense of irony. It's not a 1:1 match, but I'd say it's a lot closer to Blackadder than Berserk.

I have no idea what happened with the manga and (I assume) light novel versions, though, considering the writer didn't change. The editor, maybe?
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:56 pm Reply with quote
wolf10 wrote:
I have no idea what happened with the manga and (I assume) light novel versions, though, considering the writer didn't change. The editor, maybe?

The manga is narrated in a TOTALLY serious tone, like, take Vinland Saga, and up it a notch even from that.

No idea about the light novel, but who thought that was a good idea? As a satire it may have worked, as you said, it worked for Blackadder.

Well, SOMEONE is reading it if it got 6 volumes, series that don't sell are usually axed at three volumes. It might even be a case of running out of material, the second, and also latest, light novel volume came out early 2019 and webnovel has been complete for a while(166 chapters).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1