• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: To Your Eternity Anime Gets 3rd Season

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:41 am Reply with quote
I want to celebrate the news, but the second season felt very uneven for me.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:54 am Reply with quote
Same. No doubt I will watch it just to see if it regains some of its original lustre, but I'll definitely be wary.
-Matthew-

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:23 am Reply with quote
Great news! I hope that it will start airing in January 2024!
Glordit

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:29 am Reply with quote
LET'S GOOOOO!
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:30 am Reply with quote
Someone somewhere must really enjoy this anime because as far as N.A. is concerned, I don't see much clamoring for this show.
Dayraven

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:51 am Reply with quote
Mostly enjoyed the season.

There’s a lot of Bon in it, though, and just because I see what the show’s doing with his mix of flaws and virtues, doesn’t stop him being A Bit Much.
Jefcat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:14 am Reply with quote
Dayraven wrote:
Mostly enjoyed the season.

There’s a lot of Bon in it, though, and just because I see what the show’s doing with his mix of flaws and virtues, doesn’t stop him being A Bit Much.

There is a lot to like about this series, but a little Bon goes a long way. And his sister Pocoa was so obnoxious that I paused the show for a long while.
TheSleepyMonkey

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:24 am Reply with quote
Angel M Cazares wrote:
Someone somewhere must really enjoy this anime because as far as N.A. is concerned, I don't see much clamoring for this show.

There was a lot of hype following the initial announcement of the adaptation, and the first episode did wow a lot of people, but the overall talk about it definetily declined a lot from Jananda Island arc foward, mostly due to pacing and drop in animation quality. And the second season doesn't really fix either of those.

And from what I've heard, people don't feel too hot for what's happening in the manga either.
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Angel M Cazares wrote:

The odd thing is, it seems like there are a lot of people leaving comments on this show on Crunchyroll, more than most shows this season. Also, a lot of people are watching it according to MAL. That suggests to me that there are a lot of watchers, but not a lot who are talking about it on websites like ANN. The viewership is usually what matters more, and that is probably enough to justify another season.
Joker#941490

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:29 pm Reply with quote
smurky turkey wrote:

the manga becomes more repetitive which make it less interesting.
-Matthew-

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Joker#941490 wrote:
smurky turkey wrote:

the manga becomes more repetitive which make it less interesting.

I think it is because in the Present Arc there is slice of life mostly, with occasional appearance of Nokkers. Of course there is no such great and epic problems like in two previous Arcs, so that is it. Nevertheless, I like this series and waiting for season 3 to start airing!
Fluwm

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:43 pm Reply with quote
I think it's one of the best shows I've seen in years. Kinda bummed it doesn't seem to click with a lot of folks, but I'm loving it.

I've also always loved the fish-out-of-temporal-water trope, so I'm not really coming to the show hoping for a bunch of big action set pieces or conventional heroics, or grand tragedy, or the like. I just like seeing an immortal living life... from one age into another.

blahmoomoo wrote:
That suggests to me that there are a lot of watchers, but not a lot who are talking about it.

Every time I've seen TYE come up online, it's been folks complaining about it. Doesn't really give me any desire to join in on those conversations. In general, online anime discussions tend to be pretty positive towards the shounen action stuff and pretty dismissive of everything else... can't say it's something I've been very inclined to engage with since my teenage years.

Last edited by Fluwm on Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
AsleepBySunset

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm really enjoying season 2 (I just have to finish the final 4 episodes), and I'm looking forward to season 3. I don't really pay much attention to the critics, their opinions just aren't mine.
jdnation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Manga purchaser here.

This anime adapatation sucks as it rushes through the material. It ought to have direction and pacing on par with Vinland Saga for the right mood.

But it is what it is, and even the manga got a bit too bogged down in this arc.

I am liking the new arc in spoiler[modern times], but it is different to everything we are watching now, although thematically it makes sense.
moozooh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:06 am Reply with quote
TheSleepyMonkey wrote:
And from what I've heard, people don't feel too hot for what's happening in the manga either.

This is indeed the case, but not because of genre nonconformity or anything else like that. It's because the author is consistently writing herself into a corner on every major plot turn, and at this point the series has jumped shark big time. Whether it's due to the fundamental lack of planning or simply inexperience, I don't know, but if you look at it closely, you'll notice how these writing issues have existed all along, and the early arcs simply coasted on the inherent drama of parting with characters for whom we felt some emotional investment. But once Bon (the character that was too smart for the series he was in) has irreversibly broken the mechanics that imparted the sense of tragedy and loss to these encounters, the entire narrative immediately started coming apart by the seams as Fushi himself was never truly a protagonist of his own show, and hence couldn't hold it together.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2