• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Go to Japan with ANN and PacSet Travel! [2023-05-06]

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sevokevo Royuki

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 9:33 pm Reply with quote
I have been planning for a Japan trip for next year as that's when I get the PTO to cover it. I so want to go to this one however due to not having enough PTO, I will be patiently waiting for the 2024 tours as I will for sure put in my deposit for one of those!
Richmyster84

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Sevokevo Royuki wrote:
I have been planning for a Japan trip for next year as that's when I get the PTO to cover it. I so want to go to this one however due to not having enough PTO, I will be patiently waiting for the 2024 tours as I will for sure put in my deposit for one of those!

I'm going in 2025 (saving money for the trip). The majority of my vacation fund will have to go to the plane ticket because I'm 6'5" and won't be able to sit in coach/economy. I plan to go in February when it's the cheapest time of year to fly and also the most economical time of year to stretch your dollar in Japan. Most people go in April to see the blooming of the Sakura blossoms but I have terrible allergies so spring time is a no go for me. Summer's too hot and the fall is peak travel season so too expensive.
db999

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 2:16 am Reply with quote
This sounds great, but unfortunately I don't have the vacation days left to do this. If its happening next year though I'd do this
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 6:00 am Reply with quote
That's really cool. Had no idea ANN was running something like this; I don't plan to go to Japan for another year or two, to let my language practice get a bit further, but when I do go, if ANN is still doing this, it'd definitely be a trip package I'd consider.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 6:11 am Reply with quote
Oh my God, this sounds AMAZING! I can't do it this year, but this is something I'd love to do in the future. I hope these kind of extensions are still offered then. If I'm gonna go all the way to Japan, I want the maximum amount of time possible. I've travelled to Europe before but I have to admit that the thought of visiting Japan just on my own is a bit intimidating because I don't speak the language, so a guided experience like this - with an anime focus - would be perfect for me.
Sevokevo Royuki

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 7:18 am Reply with quote
Richmyster84 wrote:
Sevokevo Royuki wrote:

I'm going in 2025 (saving money for the trip). The majority of my vacation fund will have to go to the plane ticket because I'm 6'5" and won't be able to sit in coach/economy. I plan to go in February when it's the cheapest time of year to fly and also the most economical time of year to stretch your dollar in Japan. Most people go in April to see the blooming of the Sakura blossoms but I have terrible allergies so spring time is a no go for me. Summer's too hot and the fall is peak travel season so too expensive.

So is Japan summers worse than Texas Summers? As for money wise.:. I feel the cost for the trip with Pacset would cost more than the plan ticket…. I already have things set on how I am going to pay… since I have solar at my house I get tax credits up to 30%… however.. stupid law makers changes it to base on your Tax Liability…. So this year I only gotten 20% of my full 30%.. next year in February during tax season.. I will get the remaining 10% which that 10% is enough to pay for the majority of the total cost… maybe.. we have to wait and see.. but I do already have other plans set on getting it paid…. But yeah LETS GO! I can’t wait to go next year.
Multi-Facets

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 10:29 am Reply with quote
I dunno if I'd ever be able to afford something like this, but I hope everyone who can go gets to have the best time in the world.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 10:52 am Reply with quote
Sevokevo Royuki wrote:

So is Japan summers worse than Texas Summers?

Yes, they can be. With its humidity, it's quite frequent that summer temperatures to reach heat indexes of 100+ degrees.The last time that I visited Kyoto, the heat index was 104.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Is the ANN trip in summer? I was digging around for min/max monthly temperatures in late October-early November, and it looked to me like (before heat index) the forecasted max was never above 76F. EDIT: Oh, but maybe that's fall, i.e., expensive tourism season?
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Richmyster84 wrote:
Sevokevo Royuki wrote:

I hear you there, I'm 6'7" plus I have to travel from Maine to California which adds a considerable extra cost. Total price with the tour going business class would be half the cost of a cheap new car and first class would be the whole cost of a cheap new car. I doubt I'll be going to Japan ever. I'm not seeing February being a whole lot cheaper, but there are much faster (by half) trips. But traveling in and out of Maine in the winter? Yeah, good luck with that not getting canceled.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sevokevo Royuki

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
Sevokevo Royuki wrote:

So is Japan summers worse than Texas Summers?

Yes, they can be. With its humidity, it's quite frequent that summer temperatures to reach heat indexes of 100+ degrees.The last time that I visited Kyoto, the heat index was 104.

That sounds EXACTLY LIKE Texas lol

Emerje wrote:

I hear you there, I'm 6'7" plus I have to travel from Maine to California which adds a considerable extra cost. Total price with the tour going business class would be half the cost of a cheap new car and first class would be the whole cost of a cheap new car. I doubt I'll be going to Japan ever. I'm not seeing February being a whole lot cheaper, but there are much faster (by half) trips. But traveling in and out of Maine in the winter? Yeah, good luck with that not getting canceled.

Emerje

I have always been wanting to try the business class.. the ones where you can turn your seat into a bed… but yeah… I did a price check for 2024 for round trip of Texas and Toyko…. Yeah…. $10,000 round trip… is a bit to steep…… I am better off just paying the $1,400-$1,500 for economy and hope I can get a whole roll to myself and use that roll for a bed like I saw people did last year when I made my first trip to London to visit some friends.

However I am working my hardest to build up points with my Sapphire card for a possibility to get business class seat if they get cheaper as we get closer to the flight…. I want to switch to Venture card but I can’t get approved for anything from Capital One right now… which sucks!
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 6:16 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
Is the ANN trip in summer? I was digging around for min/max monthly temperatures in late October-early November, and it looked to me like (before heat index) the forecasted max was never above 76F. EDIT: Oh, but maybe that's fall, i.e., expensive tourism season?

The page for the trip says that it's October-November, so the summer temperatures really won't matter.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 8:26 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:

I've been to Japan several times. Depending on the area, I recommend late October-early November as an ideal time. The fall foliage is a nice sight to see, especially if you live in an area of the US where it's largely the same 2 seasons all year. As your trip gets closer, you can track the changing colors so as to better time it depending on the areas/colors you want to see.

With November, if you enjoy temples as much as I do, it's a great time to go. There's the 7-5-3 (Shichi-Go-San) Festival that, while falling in mid-November, is often celebrated by families all month long. Families bring their kiddos dressed in traditional clothing to temples. Most people don't mind if you take their photos at temples as long as you're not intrusive.
Crystalyn
ANN Managing Editor

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 8:40 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:

I live in Osaka, and peak fall season is around Thanksgiving. Leaves start to change around November 5-10, and you can still see them until early December usually. I assume the peak season is earlier in Kanto and Tohoku.
ChirashiD

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 11:43 pm Reply with quote
To maximize the tradeoff between fairer weather and avoiding peak travel crowds, I like to go with this rule of thumb: Southern Japan in cooler months, northern Japan in hotter months.

I went to Kyushu, Osaka and Kyoto in February 2017 and it was amazing. I imagine late winter weather is comparable to late autumn in that region.
A couple years later in July I went to Hokkaido and almost as amazing.
BTW, if you're not travelling with a tour group, you really want to invest in those Rail Passes for foreign tourists (saved me $hundreds).

I have been to Tokyo in the summer, the heat and humidity there doesn't really bother me. Many places in the U.S. in summer do tend to be more uncomfortable.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2