• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Robot Dubs Part for AstroBoy

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Could this be the future of entertainment, synthetic voice acting? Take the synthetic voice acting and the CGI actors, pair them together and in 20 years who knows how this will shape movies in the future. The perfect actors and actresses with the perfect voices and perfect skills. Need an old lady, you make an old lady. Need a young boy, you make a young boy. With the advancements in computer generated images that we're seeing now we could see a level of realism that rivals reality. Maybe todays actors will be yesterdays relics sooner than we think.

Should be interesting to see just where there takes us.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bishop

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 1:55 am Reply with quote
Hmm, not likely. Computer generated design has come a long way, certainly, but it's still far from perfect. Most CG animation is still too "anticeptic" in appearance to truly fool the eye compared to a human actor. Aside, it truly is a feat of great measure to create a humaoid character out of complete CG that conveys all the varied movements, twitches, or otherwise erratic movemements the human body naturally makes.

Same with synthesized sound...nothing blows a movie more than a sound that doesn't sound like it should belong, and sythetic voicing is no different. There's always going to be the human element, if for nothing else than to make it sound/look authenic.
AnimeHeretic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Well, I figure it can't be worse than many of the dubs out there as it is Confused
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 1:14 am Reply with quote
Bishop wrote:
Hmm, not likely. Computer generated design has come a long way, certainly, but it's still far from perfect.

Well, yes, now. That's why I said 20 years from now. 20 years ago computer graphics were only really capable of simple geometry in 3D, but today we have CGI that can almost be mistaken for human. Final Fantasy The Spirits within was great, but not quite human, The Final Flight of the Osiris was even better, in 20 years the techniques should be perfected to the point that they not only mimic real life, but can also be easily made using far more advanced hardware and software.

As for the voices I could easily see sound studios making use of voice engineers that can alter a synthisised voice and touch it up to the point that it sounds perfectly human in every way.

Never say never, it all sounds like scifi, but some of the best stuff we have today didn't exist at all in the very recent past.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1