• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyo Mew Mew Licensed

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:54 pm Reply with quote
http://mag.awn.com/index.php?ltype=pageone&article_no=1990&page=4

Oh happy days. Seems like its going to be aimed at both boys and girls, and will be called "Hollywood Mew Mew"

Very Happy I give it four thumbs up!
Nuriko-chan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 11:03 pm Reply with quote
NOOO!!! *cries* I love Tokyo Mew Mew! They can't do this! THEY CAN'T THEY CAN'T THEY CAN'T!!! AAAH!!! *dies*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Luff-Chan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 11:06 pm Reply with quote
...Like I said on another forum, die 4Kids...just die. What was the point of changing Tokyo to HOLLYWOOD??? Want to make it seem more American? Does Tokyo not exist? I want to email 4Kids and yell at them for their dumb change. I give 4Kids 0 thumbs. I would prefer this straight to DVD instead of putting crappy VA's on TV who are probably the same as Shaman King and all the other failed attempts of "good" anime dubbing and editing for Saturday/Sunday cartoons. *sigh* Crying or Very sad My Mew Mew's Anime cry
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
http://mag.awn.com/index.php?ltype=pageone&article_no=1990&page=4

Oh happy days. Seems like its going to be aimed at both boys and girls, and will be called "Hollywood Mew Mew"

Very Happy I give it four thumbs up!

Hollywood Mew Mew?!!? HAHAHAHAHAH!!

I've been wanting to see this for a while. It's incredibly hard to find all the eps. Well, I guess now I can!
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Keep that anger comin!
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 11:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to wait until I hear whether or not the DVDs are going to have a subtitled Japanese audio track before I start caring. This "Hollywood" nonsense -- absolutely stupid though it may be -- still doesn't top "Samurai X" for the honour of Worst Americanized Anime Title, and I fully intend to wait and give 4Kids a chance before I start lobbing futile complaints at them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
HeeroYuy135

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Just by knowing that they renamed it "Hollywood Mew Mew," I have a feeling that it might end up as bad as Cardcaptors... but if its good, the dubbing is great, the edits are not bad, and they don't start on episode 8, I'll be happy...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 12:22 am Reply with quote
Not that I really care either way, but I'm not looking forward to another couple of years of insufferable whining on anime message boards everywhere about 4Kids being "TEH GRAET EVIL" for marketing kid's shows to kids!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 12:31 am Reply with quote
Bleh, I wonder if they're just re-naming it and do some minor localizations, or if they're going to skewer the show the same way Nelvana did to Cardcaptor Sakura.

Either way I'm not particularly impressed, but the first is understandable, while the second would be quite dissapointing.

But I suspect that many people will be outraged the instant they see the name and not wait to see the end result. Perhaps there's no point for them to wait as they would probably explain that a skewering is inevitable or that any localization other than a 100% faithful translation is for all intents and purposes a skewering.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 12:33 am Reply with quote
In any event, if it's aimed more towards the Sailor Moon crowd (which I am a part of myself), I wouldn't be surprised if this shall be the first time we'll get an alternate subtitled release from 4Kids, though perhaps not for a while.

EDIT: Okay, maybe it's an exaggeration to say I'm part of the Sailor Moon crowd. I only meant that I like the show and I support the subtitled releases on DVD to the best of my ability; obviously, I'm fully aware that I am not whom they are aiming the show towards, being 29 and male.

Last edited by Tenchi on Mon Feb 02, 2004 12:41 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
crazydumbek

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 12:41 am Reply with quote
How odd. I was expecting the guy (Asage, I think) with a major hate-on for 4kids to chime in about now. Has he neen banned? You're practically openning the door for his rant with this topic.

Last edited by crazydumbek on Mon Feb 02, 2004 12:46 am; edited 1 time in total
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 12:42 am Reply with quote
*cringes* I knew someone was gonna mention Asaqe...
"Let sleeping dogs lie."
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 12:46 am Reply with quote
Didn't 4Kids already put out another one of their properties with a subtitled option? I think I remember hearing something about it a while back, which makes me think this one might have a similar chance.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 1:32 am Reply with quote
Anyhow, if you want a subtitled version, now would be the time to send a friendly letter (preferable to e-mail, a letter carries more weight, both literally and figuratively) to 4Kids showing, in a very polite way, your interest in buying a subtitled version on DVD.

DON'T give 'em your thoughts on what you think of their version of Yu-Gi-Oh or Pokémon, which are irrelevant to your specific goal here.

DO definetely mention how Nelvana sublicensed a subtitled, intact version of Cardcaptor Sakura and how it sold well, but DON'T mention how well the subtitled version sold compared to the dubbed version, as it's an apples-and-oranges comparison since the dub was made to sell Cardcaptors products and commercial time, with the DVD sales really being only "gravy".

DO just concentrate on asking for a subtitled version, DON'T give advice on how they should handle the dub as, trust me, you'll come across as just some stupid kid with no real knowledge of how the kiddy TV syndication business works and they'll disregard your request for the sub completely.

Most of all,

DO only write them if you intend on purchasing a subtitled, intact version of Tokyo Mew Mew; DON'T write them claiming you want a sub if what you really want is a precedent for subtitling one of their other series, or, worse, series that they don't currently have but which they are rumoured to want, like Naruto. If too many people ask them for a TMM sub and it flops because the people that asked weren't sincere about buying it, they'll never do anything like that again.

Also, remember that online petitions aren't worth squat anymore.

I'm mainly writing this because I just have a feeling that 90% of the people whom will be whining about this would otherwise have zero interest in watching Tokyo Mew Mew in subtitled, intact form, they just like whining about 4Kids in general and look for any little excuse.

EDIT: Oh boy, now this post got mentioned at "you-know-where" (well, if you've been following certain threads on this board over the past month or so, you'll know). Curses, my secret identity has been blown and now everyone will know that I'm actually a 4Kids executive manipulating public opinion! Wink

Last edited by Tenchi on Mon Feb 02, 2004 4:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Luff-Chan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 2:07 am Reply with quote
I prawled the site of 4Kids and couldn't find anyway to send an e-mail to their e-mail address. Only a phsyical address to their building in New York.

I beleive Ultimate Muscle and Ultraman Tiga were released with Subtitles. Thanks to FuniMation more than 4Kids for that release.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5