• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNtv - Inside Toei Animation (Part 1)

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 1:29 am Reply with quote
If Arisako hopes people have a chance to see the company's anime, then it needs to actually release it here without screwing it up, and not just punish companies which get it right. [*cough* ADV and Geneon Sailor Moon *cough*] The guy acts a little too proud of his predecessors being "pioneers" for the current recognition of anime, when it had nothing to do with them. DBZ was just a fluke, and other than Yu Gi Oh, everything else which has been successful here has been from other studios.

I did find the segment on the animation software to be snazzy, though.
melonbread

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 2:58 am Reply with quote
Wow. Absolutely incredible. Thanks for giving me the chance to see inside an animation studio; it really is just fascinating!

Can you go to Bones' studio next time? Razz
petran79

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 3:16 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
If Arisako hopes people have a chance to see the company's anime, then it needs to actually release it here without screwing it up, and not just punish companies which get it right. [*cough* ADV and Geneon Sailor Moon *cough*] The guy acts a little too proud of his predecessors being "pioneers" for the current recognition of anime, when it had nothing to do with them. DBZ was just a fluke, and other than Yu Gi Oh, everything else which has been successful here has been from other studios.

I did find the segment on the animation software to be snazzy, though.

A lot of Toei anime series like Mazinger Z were popular in Europe already from the 70s. I dont really know why in the States , a country with the largest anime fandom, introduction of good anime was delayed for so many years. Had probably to do with the decisions of TV executives. Or else anime would have taken the place of domestic morning cartoons much earlier. Fortunately there were some nice French-Japanese co-productions popular in the English speaking countries
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 3:50 am Reply with quote
This is the first edition of ANNtv I've watched, and it was well worth it. Birth of a Luffy? Awesome.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 4:33 am Reply with quote
Someone wasn't fond of the translation.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 7:01 am Reply with quote
I subscribe to the podcast feed of ANNtv, and iTunes won't copy this episode to either my iPod Classic or my iPhone, saying that the devices can't play the video (it does, however, play on the computer). Did someone change some MPEG-4 encoding settings?
Jadress

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 10:30 am Reply with quote
Dear God, that Retas! Pro software is absolutely amazing. Has anyone made an English version of that program or something similar available? I NEED. I mean, they make it look so easy, it's almost like cheating! Anime hyper Great stuff- I look forward to the next installment.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 11:25 am Reply with quote
Just looking around now, it apparently is available in English.

The only site I've found it purchasable at thus far though is for an educational license (which can be purchased by students, mind you): http://www.lightfootltd.com/product_info.php/products_id/103?osCsid=8741da54fe7cafbf2770af97ce3cdf2b

...And even then, wow, is it expensive! I mean, almost two grand for an educational license, which i assume is discounted somewhat.

No sooner have I posted than I find this: http://www.fates.com/fates/retas_purchace.html

This seems to be a North American indie studio which makes use of Retas. Anyway, they provide an outlet to purchase the software.

Last edited by Big Hed on Mon May 26, 2008 11:29 am; edited 1 time in total
stevek504

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 11:26 am Reply with quote
Very nice. I see this is Part 1, how many other parts are there? This reminds me of those shows where you can watch them make hot dogs, TVs, and planes.

I like the idea of BONES next. How bout a whole series about where our anime and manga comes from? The whole process!
TheFly

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 11:34 am Reply with quote
This was a fascinating and hugely informative piece. That software is very impressive and the animator explained it very clearly - which was slightly suprising as some of the animators that have appeared in the previous studio tour episodes looked a little nervous at even having a camera there.

Thanks for this ANN, looking forward to Part 2.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 12:12 pm Reply with quote
I really like how Toei was so open with showing us how it's done animation-wise... It almost makes me wish they gave doing their own DVDs another go... They certainly can't make the same mistakes twice.

Anyway, Part 1 was about the history of Toei, how animation works, and their early attempts at getting their stuff out in North America. I wonder what Part 2 will be about... Also, I found it a little odd how the TV in the background in some shots showed footage of North Star Pictures' new Fist of the North Star OVAs and movies... Did Toei have any input with those animes?
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 12:57 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
I subscribe to the podcast feed of ANNtv, and iTunes won't copy this episode to either my iPod Classic or my iPhone, saying that the devices can't play the video (it does, however, play on the computer). Did someone change some MPEG-4 encoding settings?

Oops. Yes, I did. Wink It's fixed now, along with a few subtitle adjustments. Sorry 'bout that.

Toei produced Fist of the North Star as well, and that room is their Museum, where they were celebrating the 20th anniversary of the series. However, getting clearances to use those image would have taken too long, so we couldn't use any closeups unfortunately.

There will be 2 parts to this piece, then TMS Entertainment. Those are two of the studios with the longest history, so we were very excited to visit both of them.

We'll be producing more of these in the future, and you can bet we have a list of fan-favorite studios that we want to visit next. Very Happy
stopher87

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 2:25 pm Reply with quote
stevek504 wrote:
Very nice. I see this is Part 1, how many other parts are there? This reminds me of those shows where you can watch them make hot dogs, TVs, and planes.

I like the idea of BONES next. How bout a whole series about where our anime and manga comes from? The whole process!

I like that idea; a "how its made" kind of thing.
Michael_Arnold

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 2:25 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Someone wasn't fond of the translation.

Both the translation and some of the errors in the content.
It was nice of them to fix the subtitles so quickly though!
Josh7289

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 3:09 pm Reply with quote
That was awesome! The whole segment with the software was really, really cool.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4