• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 3 Titles' Fansubs Pulled on Behalf of Japan's d-rights

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:33 pm Reply with quote
I get the feeling that these titles are going to be licensed by FUNimation later on.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:36 pm Reply with quote
I'd say each of those titles has a fairly good chance at getting picked up then. Now I'll stop watchin' Slayers Revolution as well. Thanks for letting us know ANN.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Good call Funimation. Now on to the other thousands of fansub titles out there.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:45 pm Reply with quote
No takedowns have ever been issued for Slayers Revolution or Bamboo Blade yet as far as I have seen... must be takedowns for specific countries.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Daimao Raki wrote:

I agree, those fan subbed videos are doing nothing but hurting the dvd business. Funimation has always been a company to treat the fans right*, without being greedy, artfical or two faced.

Hopefully Viz Media, ADV, Bandai Entertainment and several other companies do what Funimation is doing.

*Although this is just my option, Funimation risked there neck to re-dub One Piece after 4Kids butchered the series to bits. Also, they did save some Geneon and ADV titles. Karin and Ah My Goddess were among the selection.
daxomni

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:04 pm Reply with quote
This sounds like a reasonable response. I just wish more sites and titles were targeted.
CyberTRex8u

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:09 pm Reply with quote
quite a bold move by funimation. This is gonna anger alot of Fansub fans. if other distributers get on it then things will look up for DVD sales. its kind of wiered to look at this way, but doing this will actually make the anime biz much larger. through destruction comes creation i guess.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Daimao Raki wrote:

I agree, those fan subbed videos are doing nothing but hurting the dvd business. Funimation has always been a company to treat the fans right*, without being greedy, artfical or two faced.

Hopefully Viz Media, ADV, Bandai Entertainment and several other companies do what Funimation is doing.

*Although this is just my option, Funimation risked there neck to re-dub One Piece after 4Kids butchered the series to bits. Also, they did save some Geneon and ADV titles. Karin and Ah My Goddess were among the selection.
Funimation for the mos tpart has horrible male voice actors...and their crap is still overpriced
CyberTRex8u

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Funimation for the mos tpart has horrible male voice actors...and their crap is still overpriced

i wouldnt say the male voice actors were horrible, not even bad. and $1.99 for an episode off of iTunes doesnt sound bad to me at all....thats cheaper than a comic book off the news stand, which sell for $2.99
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Funimation for the most part has horrible male voice actors...
So what? You can still watch the Japanese audio track with subtitles on the DVDs.
Quote:
and their crap is still overpriced
13 episodes of Ouran HS Host Club for $59.98 MSRP (as low as $32.39 at RightStuf sale prices) is overpriced? Even $29.98 MSRP for 4 episodes is still around half of what the Japanese would pay for 2 episodes.
larinon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:30 pm Reply with quote
CyberTRex8u wrote:
This is gonna anger alot of Fansub fans.

While this may be true, I doubt it will hurt anyone's bottom line at all, and the hope is that it would improve the license holder's bottom line.

The people who were watching the fansubs and refuse to buy DVDs, there won't be any money lost there (and hopefully a gain if they change their minds). If they refuse to then buy/rent the DVDs because The Man took away their fansubs, then they're basically just cheating themselves out of ever seeing Show X unless it makes it onto TV. (as an aside, I think Nabari no Ou might do well with the Adult Swim crowd, though there would need to be editing due to blood)

A potential negative outcome in this case is that it might drive some of the cheapskates who refuse to buy R1 DVDs and pirate everything to look instead at getting bootlegs. Hopefully more progess will be made on that front sooner or later.

As long as they're making at least a couple of episodes available for purchase via Itunes or the like, then I doubt I would miss having fansubs all that much. There will unfortunately still be shows we'd miss out on, but at long as we can preview stuff without having to buy a disc/half season/full season box, then it will be alright, whether it's itunes or netflix rentals, or so on.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
icepick314

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:32 pm Reply with quote
i'm one of those few individuals who actually buy DVDs whenever fansubbed titles get licensed to US...IF the series is actually worth watching...

fansubs do hurt legitimate anime releases in Japan/US...any anime fans who watches nothing but fansubs do nothing to the industry except hurt in the long run because of lack of support for license and the company's production...i shouldn't even call them "fans" since they aren't doing anything positive...we should just call them "leeches"...

everyone should purchase anime DVDs to show that they love the series and the industry so Japanese companies can keep making high quality series and allow US companies to license them to US....

if Monochrome Factor, Nabari no Ou, Bamboo Blade, El Cazador de la Bruja, Slayers Revolution, and Bokurano gets licensed, i'll definitely will get them on DVD....

i watched few episodes of Romeo × Juliet on fansub while back...it wasn't the greatest title but if US release gets one of those reasonably priced collection like Funimation did with Aquarion, i'll definitely will buy it...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:57 pm Reply with quote
CyberTRex8u wrote:
quite a bold move by funimation. This is gonna anger alot of Fansub fans. if other distributers get on it then things will look up for DVD sales. its kind of wiered to look at this way, but doing this will actually make the anime biz much larger. through destruction comes creation i guess.

Not really, most of those titles were over long ago. And still, pulled fansubs means nothing, because they can easily be re-uploaded anywhere anytime. Nice to see that they're utilizing legal power, but it won't really do much.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
Funimation for the most part has horrible male voice actors...
So what? You can still watch the Japanese audio track with subtitles on the DVDs.
Quote:
and their crap is still overpriced
13 episodes of Ouran HS Host Club for $59.98 MSRP (as low as $32.39 at RightStuf sale prices) is overpriced? Even $29.98 MSRP for 4 episodes is still around half of what the Japanese would pay for 2 episodes.

Can we stop using what the Japanese pay as a counter-measure to the price complaints? Sure they pay outrageous prices, but that's their economy and that's their undying and scary love for anime. Applying it to Westerners is completely moot and won't or shouldn't score any sympathy points. Also, anime isn't as exotic and rare as it used to be, so an MSRP of $30 for 3 episodes is total BS now. The only method I'll be cool with is doing a 12-13 episode boxset for an MSRP of $50, like with Busou Renkin and Aquarion. That's totally reasonable, and if other companies don't start following, they will see lost profits due to fansubs.
phoenixphire24

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:07 pm Reply with quote
I wonder where they pulled these from; the first 2 torrent sites I checked had all the episodes of Nabari up and running.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 19