• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sunrise Opens Girl Who Leapt Through Space Teaser Site

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hara

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Why did they do that word play? Judging from the promotional image they don't seem to share similarities nor appears it to be a parody.
But who cares, it's a $unrise show so it probably will be forgettable trash.
(edit: That's my personal opinion, of course)

Last edited by hara on Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arcwave

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:49 pm Reply with quote
hara wrote:
it's a $unrise show so it probably will be forgettable trash.

Pssht. Speak for yourself. I actually enjoy their works.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:47 pm Reply with quote
hara wrote:
Why did they do that word play? Judging from the promotional image they don't seem to share similarities nor appears it to be a parody.
But who cares, it's a $unrise show so it probably will be forgettable trash.
tell that to bebop and outlaw star
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Indeed, Sunrise has a very nice catalogue of shows, many of which are classics that most anime fans know by name, if not by sight. Gundam, Cowboy Bebop, City Hunter, Outlaw Star, Code Geass, Steam Boy, Inuyasha, and Dirty Pair are hardly what I would call "forgettable trash".

As for the news, sounds it might be interesting based on the extremely limited information. It's a Sunrise show based in space so I'm sure it'll have some killer robot designs.

Might want to update the article with an actual link to the site.

Emerje

Last edited by Emerje on Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Taiyz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Shhhh, if you want to be popular on the internet you have to hate Sunrise and call all their shows "trainwrecks."

Anyway, I'm eager to see how this is relevant to what it's parodying, if at all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Considering how much this series is promoted, I am not surprized Sunrise is involved in this project. Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, Inuyasha, and several other notable titles make this company quite popular.

Too bad this series is a shojo series, I might have enjoyed this series otherwise. Time traveling isn't as popular in society is the idea once was.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Anyway, I'm eager to see how this is relevant to what it's parodying, if at all.

Indeed, if it has anything to do with The Girl Who Leapt Through Time I'm definitely on board since that was a fantastic movie. It was a Madhouse project though and this new series is Sunrise so I'm skeptical but it's impossible to say without more details.
JELEINEN

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Quote:

Indeed, if it has anything to do with The Girl Who Leapt Through Time I'm definitely on board since that was a fantastic movie. It was a Madhouse project though and this new series is Sunrise so I'm skeptical but it's impossible to say without more details.

The '83 movie was from a company called Haruki Kadokawa, so it's possible. If they are tied, I'm guessing it's only tangently given the look.
MetatronM

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Indeed, Sunrise has a very nice catalogue of shows, many of which are classics that most anime fans know by name, if not by sight. Gundam, Cowboy Bebop, City Hunter, Outlaw Star, Code Geass, Steam Boy, Inuyasha, and Dirty Pair are hardly what I would call "forgettable trash".
Except the only things on that list that AREN'T "forgettable trash" are a decade old or more (except for maybe Steamboy).

Doing great stuff in the '80s and '90s is great and all, but I personally get more excited about things from companies that are consistently doing great work in this century.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:02 pm Reply with quote
JELEINEN wrote:
The '83 movie was from a company called Haruki Kadokawa, so it's possible. If they are tied, I'm guessing it's only tangently given the look.

Haruki Kadokawa is a man, not a company. He was the president of Kadokawa Shoten, and was instrumental in getting them to start producing anime back in the early 80s, up through the time he was arrested on drug charges.

The more you know...
pajmo9

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Code Geass was made in this century and I'm almost positive that its not "forgettable trash". Some other great shows they have don since
2000 that are as good or better then a lot of there older stuff ,or any other studio's stuff that I've seen, are The Big O 2, Witch Hunter Robin,
Overman King Gainer, Planetes, My-Hime, and Freedom. Thats not to mention their on going Gundam properties which seem to just get more and more popular in Japan.

It's true that there shows aren't very hip though. I've also noticed That I attend to get more emotionally attached to the shows they do than those of other studios. I guess I'm just a loser.

Anyway, I'll definitely be watching for more info on this one just out of pure curiosity.

Last edited by pajmo9 on Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
melonbread

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Having recently seen The Girl Who Leapt Through Time on 35mm in London last weekend, I seriously hope there will be a sequel!! There's plenty of scope for it!
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:00 pm Reply with quote
MetatronM wrote:
Emerje wrote:
Except the only things on that list that AREN'T "forgettable trash" are a decade old or more (except for maybe Steamboy).

Doing great stuff in the '80s and '90s is great and all, but I personally get more excited about things from companies that are consistently doing great work in this century.

I had no idea runaway hits like Code Geass and Inuyasha were from the 90's. And I suppose it's time for a new Gundam, it's been so long since they've made one. Oh, wait. Rolling Eyes

Besides, I was going for a variety of past and present hits. Thankfully individuals don't decide what's popular and what's not, it's a community effort and the fandom has spoken on these titles and Sunrise as a whole. Even Ghibli doesn't knock it out of the park every time, every company has a few misses, I find Sunrise has a pretty steady track record.

Emerje
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1