• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Serial Experiments Lain

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:13 am Reply with quote
How is Lain buried, or are you just not finding anything really obscure lately? Sure it might be a little old, but it's still extremely well known among fans.
AuraShadow

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:28 am Reply with quote
Aw lain. Kind of an odd thing for a 12 year old to watch, but it was on Anime Unleashed (RIP Tech TV) and it launched me into my love of computer based anime (EX: .hack) my love of surreal animes (EX: Boogiepop Phantom) and my love of the art by yoshitoshi abe (having meet him twice now at Animefest has been a real joy) This anime will ALWAYS have a special place..now if only I could get my boxset back from who currently has it.... Sad
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:33 am Reply with quote
Wasn't really a fan of Lain when it came out, since I thought it was mostly metaphysical bs, but I guess you could view it as a history lesson for what the chat culture was like before the blog culture overtook it.
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:43 am Reply with quote
Lain's considered a buried treasure? i thought it was quite common.
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:44 am Reply with quote
I think it's more that new fans aren't hearing about it as much. Fans that were around 10 years ago still remember it, but if you weren't part of the phenomenon it didn't really spread.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Big Hed

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:44 am Reply with quote
Lain was enjoyable to me, if only because there aren't a whole lot of series like it. Having said that I'm kind of in line with GATSU as well; the abstraction of Lain's world was a little too great, at times -- although one bit from the series I really loved was the episode with the freaky alien thing. In any case, the show certainly is atmospheric.

Also, while I thought Abe's designs were good for Lain, you can definitely see that his style was more refined by the time he worked on Haibane Renmei.
sarsman45

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:47 am Reply with quote
Psh. Lain is only burried treasure when you forget it. I watched it when I was in Junior High and barely understood it (It was like EVA but no fighting and lots of metaphysical/religious crap/jargon streaming everywhere). I have it now and I should very much like to rewatch it when I have the time.

Oh, Duvet is still one of the best songs I have on my computer. Ever.

Shocked
icepick314

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:50 am Reply with quote
to this day, i have YET to figure out Lain...

one of those LOVE-HATE series...LOVE to watch, HATE the feeling afterward....

Yoshitoshi ABe needs to make more series...NieA_7 and Haibane Renmei along with character design for Texhnolyze were all great and was looking forward to more works but guess he fell out of anime community...

only short stories on Robot anthology....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
loka

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:15 am Reply with quote
sarsman45 wrote:
Psh. Lain is only burried treasure when you forget it. I watched it when I was in Junior High and barely understood it (It was like EVA but no fighting and lots of metaphysical/religious crap/jargon streaming everywhere).

Expect that of all cyberpunk, good or otherwise.

Lain was probably my first exposure to cyberpunk (leading to popular novels.) I learned about the anime on a forum in 2004. It appears in so many favorites lists I also find the Buried part questionable.
danieru-san

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:28 am Reply with quote
Has Serial Experiments Lain really fallen to such obscurity? I also remember its Tech TV broadcast; it was one of the first few titles I had seen, and at the time it really made an impression.
It definitely has a well-realized dark atmosphere, and the use of sound is very unique and effective; also the high-contrast art design. The animation does seem more dated than I remember, but in a way that adds to the (now retro) experience. . . Great cerebral anime!
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:33 am Reply with quote
Heh, this is kind of wild...I just bought this series a few hours earlier today. Very Happy (Grabbed RightStuf's last copy of volume 3, so it might be a bit harder to find now. Wherehouse seems to have some used copies left.) I really love mindscrew-type series, and I was a big fan of Abe's character designs in Haibane, so I feel like it'll be right up my alley.
Kiriska

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:49 am Reply with quote
Whoa, seriously? Lain has been buried? Doesn't that just make me feel old...
Kenji_Ikari

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:07 am Reply with quote
sarsman45 wrote:
Psh. Lain is only burried treasure when you forget it. I watched it when I was in Junior High and barely understood it (It was like EVA but no fighting and lots of metaphysical/religious crap/jargon streaming everywhere). I have it now and I should very much like to rewatch it when I have the time.

Oh, Duvet is still one of the best songs I have on my computer. Ever.

My thoughts exactly.

Besides the fact I watched it in late high schol or so. Heck, it was only shown on techTV what, 6 years ago?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:15 am Reply with quote
TopGun: I'm more surprised that Wherehouse still exists than your being able to find a copy of that dvd. Laughing
maaya

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:23 am Reply with quote
I feel really old now. Lain was one of the first series I watched, when I was 14 or something. I don't remember too much of it anymore, but I always liked the style and the atmosphere.

And Princess Tutu is awesome Razz - sometimes it's even similar to Lain considering the atmosphere, dark and foreboding Wink

Actually I consider Princess Tutu much more of a "buried treasure" than Lain. Lain is a lot more popular even today.

PS: Somehow I'm hoping for 12 Kingdoms to get reviewed here. I feel that it is mostly forgotten or actually never was really popular ...

Last edited by maaya on Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:19 am; edited 2 times in total
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 11