• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Naruto.com, Crunchyroll, Hulu Begin Shippūden Streams

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
halo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:49 am Reply with quote
The first 4 episodes of Gintama have shown up on Crunchyroll too.
souleater

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:52 am Reply with quote
Let the Crunchyroll Revolution begin!
mastertr

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:19 am Reply with quote
Heh, so far they don't have anything that would make me want to purchase a subscription with the exception of Shugo Chara, which is available to non-members as well. I do look forward to seeing what else is in store though. If they get enough titles that appeal to me, it might be worth the money to subscribe; plus it helps the anime industry.

And I have to be honest, I like Crunchyroll about 100 times more now that they have gotten rid all of their unauthorized content. The site looks....cleaner.
halo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:31 am Reply with quote
mastertr wrote:
And I have to be honest, I like Crunchyroll about 100 times more now that they have gotten rid all of their unauthorized content. The site looks....cleaner.

Smells better too Mr. Green
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:51 am Reply with quote
If they could just do what Joost do and not dangle stuff I can't get in my face then I might live with it.
jsieczka

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:52 am Reply with quote
I'm hoping that all of the people who are whining on the forums that the new system is unfair move along as well.

I signed up for the service, if you prepaid it was $20 for three months. At that price even if the service is a flop I'm not out all that money. Right now they have three shows that are 1 hour later and if they add 2 or 3 from the new shows starting in the winter then I would be content with the service. Do to the fact that the stream is legal I think I will watch a few shows that I may not have watch fansubed. I make it a point to watch anything viewed fansubed legally at a latter time, so if a show is marginal I am not going to want to watch it twice.
Shadowlord

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:12 am Reply with quote
So Naruto Shippuuden is dropped by Dattebayo from now on, right?

Naruto.com and Hulu are US-only, so I took a look at Crunchyroll's version: What?! Only free version is 496x384 pixels! I can't watch such low res videos! It makes me cry...
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:23 am Reply with quote
The free version is very loq quality, and I really don't trust the HD one. The HD Skip Beat encode is very bad, it has the wrong framerate, is jaggy beacuse of that, and the translation is not to my liking. So i'll stick with fansubs.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:25 am Reply with quote
Of the 130 shows they will initially be carrying, they have about 90 or so up right now. They are adding shows at a gangbuster rate to the site. There are still a TON of series left for them to put up after these first few 130 or so. All of the old fansubs are being replaced by fresh HD raws from the studios, and .ass files are being uploaded to the to supply soft subtitles to all the files, so people can automatically view the subtitled language of choice. Crunchyroll is the number one source for all VOD anime now!
kokuryu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:28 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
The free version is very loq quality, and I really don't trust the HD one. The HD Skip Beat encode is very bad, it has the wrong framerate, is jaggy beacuse of that, and the translation is not to my liking. So i'll stick with fansubs.

I was only having streaming speed issues with the HD. If I let it all cache first, then Skip Beat played back perfectly in HD with no problems. Must be an ep you watched that I haven't seen yet that you did not like the translations on.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:37 am Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:

I was only having streaming speed issues with the HD. If I let it all cache first, then Skip Beat played back perfectly in HD with no problems. Must be an ep you watched that I haven't seen yet that you did not like the translations on.

It was episode 7. It wasn't beacuse of the streaming, but because of the framerate. CR streams with constant framerate, but some shows, like Skip Beat, Zettai karen Children, and others have variable framerate. I honestly don't know why, but they do.

Also, I'm not saying that the translations are bad, just not to my liking. Yes, I do like the sufixes, but I can live without them, it's just that the subs on CR are literal when they shoudn't be, and not literal when they should be. "Kore wa akan" means "This is bad", yet they translated it as "I can't let this go on". Sure, it carries the same effect, but it bothers me.
TheTheory

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:43 am Reply with quote
Shadowlord wrote:
So Naruto Shippuuden is dropped by Dattebayo from now on, right?

In their press release they said they were dropping on January 15th.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:20 am Reply with quote
good work viz, 2 issues, no sub titles, and the res is lacking just a bit when i full screen (or maybe that is just my 1680x1050 22'' monitor) but either way if the content full screened better than i could give it 5 stars now i can only award 4 out of 5.

-Gabe
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
bci110

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:46 am Reply with quote
Does anyone know if Shugo Chara!! Doki is part of the deal? Or is it just the first series?
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:04 pm Reply with quote
all this is doing is letting people do money and make a lot of money off an overpriced subscription fee for doing nothing. i dont see why people think this is a good thing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9