• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Upper Deck Responds to Counterfeit Yu-Gi-Oh Card Suit

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:30 am Reply with quote
I wonder how this will eventually turn out? Right now, it doesn't look so good for either one of the companies. Hopefully this will be resolved in a way both companies win.
SeiyuuOtaku

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:40 am Reply with quote
Whose deck ran out first, win this lawsuit.

Until then, let's enjoy our popcorn.
2DOtaku

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:28 am Reply with quote
SeiyuuOtaku wrote:
Whose deck ran out first, win this lawsuit.

Until then, let's enjoy our popcorn.

Yeah, maybe they could settle this dispute with a duel.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:32 am Reply with quote
Either way, both companies are going to be out of money spending all this time on court fees and paying the lawyers. No matter who wins, it's a losing case for both sides because Konami is being a bitch and Upper Deck has their reputation on the line. Upper Deck makes sports cards, Yugioh is just something on the side. But this will hurt unless the two settle the dispute.
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:47 am Reply with quote
Everybody needs to understand the fact that Konami did sign that contract with Upper Deck and that the courts will determine that. When Upper Deck wins its case against Konami, Konami might be a bigger disadvantage because Upper Deck could file claim against Konami for not supporting the official licensee of the card game.

This doesn't bode well for the legality of copyright contracts between companies because if a company signs a contract to license a property from another company and that property becomes popular that the company who owns that property could simply 'break the contract.' Those contracts wouldn't be worth the paper they are written on.

Ultimately, the courts will rule in favor of Upper Deck and not only will Konami be forced to compensate Upper Deck for lost revenue (since they failed to provide the cards for production and sale in the United States) but that they would also be forced to compensate Upper Deck for attorney's fees and court costs. This will end up becoming a major upset for Konami who wants to break th contract because the card game has become more popular than they realized and now they want to control it.

Now that Konami is releasing the cards themselves through retailers, Konami could very well be facing additional compensation to Upper Deck for breaking the Contract with Upper Deck by selling the cards directly and right now, Upper Deck has the law on their side. Konami is probably thinking that they can force Upper Deck to give up the fight through attrition thinking that they'll give up the fight but I doubt that will happen.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Colonel Wolfe wrote:
Everybody needs to understand the fact that Konami did sign that contract with Upper Deck and that the courts will determine that. When Upper Deck wins its case against Konami, Konami might be a bigger disadvantage because Upper Deck could file claim against Konami for not supporting the official licensee of the card game.

This assumes that the allegation that Upper Deck made its own card batch without permission is not true. If it is true, then all bets are off for Upper Deck. At this point, no one, not even the courts, can state for a fact who broke the contract first.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:12 pm Reply with quote
I can only see this ending in one way:

A duel.

Konami: Zutto ore no taaan!
Konami: Left Right A B A B A!
Aresef

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Screw the courts. Let's settle this with a card duel.
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Konami CEO - "Screw the rules, we have money."
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:04 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Either way, both companies are going to be out of money spending all this time on court fees and paying the lawyers. No matter who wins, it's a losing case for both sides because Konami is being a bitch and Upper Deck has their reputation on the line. Upper Deck makes sports cards, Yugioh is just something on the side. But this will hurt unless the two settle the dispute.

Not true. Actually, UDE makes a whole lot more off of TCGs then it does off of sports cards- they make VS. System and the WoW TCG, and possibly some others too. I don't know how big Yu-Gi-Oh! is, comparatively speaking, but it's not exactly chump change. While it has plenty of detractors, it's a very luck based game, which is appealing to many because it's easy to learn, easy to win, and you can beat up your luck instead of yourself if you lose.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:52 pm Reply with quote
All this over a ****ty kids' monster-battling card game. The mind boggles sometimes, doesn't it?
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:00 pm Reply with quote
what I see here is Konami wants to break it's contract, Konami gets called out on it legally, Konami now tries to get back at them by claiming they're counterfeiting... okay.. HOW old are the people at Koanmi again, because this whole thing is getting, or rather already has gotten, infantile.

what's next? Konami tossing sand from the sandbox at Upper Deck?
H.A. Senidal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Unholy_Nny wrote:
Konami CEO - "Screw the rules, we have money."

More like "Screw the rules, we own Yu-Gi-Oh!"

Man, this is a fun little fight, isn't it? Konami wants to distribute the game themselves, Upper Deck says not until their contract runs out and wins an injunction, Konami withholds product and says it'll distribute directly to stores, Upper Deck tells customers they won't be getting Champion Packs for tournaments, Konami accuses Upper Deck of being part of distributing counterfeit cards, and now this.

Although both companies in regards to this game have irked me in one form or another--UD changes card rarities and may have been behind the withholding of two Structure Decks and changed the content of others, Konami doesn't release promo cards from Japan immediately and may be treating us like lab rats--at this point, I'm just going to see what happens and not predict anything. Also going to look at both sides and hope the game doesn't explode.

BellosTheMighty wrote:
Not true. Actually, UDE makes a whole lot more off of TCGs then it does off of sports cards- they make VS. System and the WoW TCG, and possibly some others too. I don't know how big Yu-Gi-Oh! is, comparatively speaking, but it's not exactly chump change. While it has plenty of detractors, it's a very luck based game, which is appealing to many because it's easy to learn, easy to win, and you can beat up your luck instead of yourself if you lose.

When I think of the most prominent TCGs out there, Magic comes first, and then Yu-Gi-Oh! Naruto and Pokemon cross my mind afterwards. The fact that people are watching the Konami-UD legal dispute and worrying about the fate of the game says a lot about how big it is. Children's card games are indeed serious business.

As for the game itself, yes, luck plays a big part of it, from pulling the right card from a pack to drawing, but then, all TCGs have this factor. It also helps to have the best cards, most of which cost a lot on the secondary market if you're not lucky enough to pull them or have them given to you. Right now, top deck is Tele-DAD, and have fun getting the cards for it if you don't have enough money or really good trade bait.

Oh, and even if you have the most powerful deck in the metagame, you can still lose due to errors in judgment and misplays. I help out at tournies at my hangout and overheard guys saying "I should have..." along with "I drew bad" after they lost. Having power is one thing, knowing how to control it is another.

Top Gun wrote:
All this over a ****ty kids' monster-battling card game. The mind boggles sometimes, doesn't it?

Again I say, children's card games are serious business. Least people haven't started a riot over this, set cars on fire, and looted shops, right?
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Hahaha. First, fansubs somehow became "srsfcknbsns". Now anime/manga based TCG's are as well??? The laughs keep rolling in.

I could care less who wins this. The popcorn is sweet and the tears are sweeter.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Go Upper Deck! Konami's really douchebagging it up.

And the Chinese factory raiding thing sounds really cool in my mind, thought I doubt it was so action-packed and exciting in real life.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3