• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toradora! Anime's Original Novels to End on March 10

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Otaku_X

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Now. Somebody LICENSE them. You know how many there are, just license them so we can read them.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Oh, there are so many light novels that it would be nice to see translated - some of which have been licensed and some not. Unfortunately, the cost of translating entire novels (even though they're "light" novels and thus short and not generally vocabulary-intensive) is going to be higher than manga (and probably anime) because there's so much more text. And I don't get the impression that they sell as well as either manga or anime. Those two facts combined seem to make it difficult for us to get them translated at all, let alone get that at a decent pace.

Still, hopefully these novels get licensed and we get to read them in English. I'd love the chance to read them.
Jarmel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:17 pm Reply with quote
There is a translation project for Toradora. Anyway yes all you mentioned is true which is kinda sad as there really are some great light novels. I do wish atleast the anime would get licensed but the novels would be great too.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There is a translation project for Toradora

Yes. I noticed that the site I generally go to for fan translations of light novels does indeed have a project for Toradora and most of the novels appear to be translated there. Unfortunately, however, as great as it is to have fan translations when official ones are unavailable, the fan translations are pretty much always lacking. Either the translators generally need to be better at Japanese, or - more likely - they need to be better at English. Translating is a difficult thing to do at all - let alone correctly, and Japanese to English is probably one of the more difficult types of translations to do since the two languages don't share any common roots.

I'm very glad to have fan translations for novels that have not yet been officially released in English, but it's always better to have official translations. They're almost certainly better quality and you get an actual, physical book out of the deal as well.
Panda Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:10 pm Reply with quote
I want both the Light novels and anime to be licensed. I love the anime, and the novels would be a nice thing to have for reading in school.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Panda Man wrote:
I want both the Light novels and anime to be licensed. I love the anime, and the novels would be a nice thing to have for reading in school.

Lol. I have to ask now... Shouldn't you be paying attention in school? xD
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Panda Man wrote:

se37

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:33 pm Reply with quote
It's kind of sad the original ligh novels are going to end soon but then again where you can take the series more. I also would love to see more light novels come over here but I know they wouldn't sell well unless they appeal to the masses.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
rekoloki

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:51 pm Reply with quote
I have enjoyed the anime, but i haven't dipped into the Light Novels. I always knew about them, just haven't really scouted around for a fan-trans(sorry officals are better).

But I do have to say, it is always better to end on a Good High Note than to fade out one a bad one!
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:04 pm Reply with quote
From what I read the novels are pretty good. The anime follows pretty closely. I haven't read till the end so I don't know what happens but I guess this means the anime won't have to make up an ending. Well unless the fans deem it non existent and they come up with something else.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:22 pm Reply with quote
I have all the lite novels in the Amazon Japan wish list. I guess I should probably buy them sometime soon. The freight from Japan is just so horrendous...
sailorsean

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:42 pm Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
Panda Man wrote:

i mean they could read it during there study hall hours or when they have free time... its alot better then just carrying around manga...

btw, u double posted... Rolling Eyes
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Dulalalala is pretty awesome.
Not many light novels that have Dullahan in them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1