• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - SOS Brigade

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:16 pm Reply with quote
If I recall correctly, Bamboo panned the first volume of Project Blue: Earth SOS when it came out; glad to see you've come around to the side of seeing it as hokey, nostalgic fun.

And for anyone who's purchased the new Funimation release of Gankutsuou, is it identical to the Geneon one? Have they kept in the copious extras? They didn't change the subtitles, did they? My fear has been that they'd go back and redo them with all the Japanese honorifics left in the way they do with their own releases in spite of it taking place in a French-speaking society (all the on-screen text is in French).

As someone who owns the $150 Geneon original release, I hope you get the same thing I have, only cheaper. If you haven't seen Gankutsuou yet because of the price, this is your chance now. Seriously, this is an absolutely amazing series that shows how to make a 100% grown-up anime.
joelgundam00

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
One thing I want to complain about, though—in the first five seconds of the series, a prologue is written out on the screen. Too bad there's no way to read it because it goes by way too fast.

This is where the 'pause' button comes in handy. I don't know what I would do without it.
grave_digger18

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:26 pm Reply with quote
wow those shelves blew me away. I also want an anime lounge Anime hyper
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:37 pm Reply with quote
I like it when shelves aren't in order, it means that whoever set them up is the only person who knows where most of the stuff is, I have my manga, anime, and game shelves all out of any sort of order, except one that makes sense to me, but hey, I know where everything is! Also, my anime shelf isn't quite that expansive either...

I can only hope once I get an apartment and get out of college that some part of my place will look like these shelves do! Cus I don't have a whole lot else to display honestly...

Glad Funi release Gankutsuou in a boxset, now I just need the other half of the equation: money
Seljuk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Didn't you already review Shiguri, not but two weeks ago? Aside from bubbling over the quality of a BluRay release compared to the normal, I see nothing that can be gained from reviewing it again. I would have rather had a different review in its slot.

Maybe I just don't like the sudden deja vu...
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Although it receives praise from all those who watch it, I'm not in a position to spend $60+ on Gankutsuou blindly, considering my current buying schedule. It'd be nice if a legal online stream were to be released.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Takeyo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Give the description of Shigurui last round, I am surprised she would want to watch it in HD.

As for Gankutsuou, it's one of those shows I've never been able to recommend highly enough. It's the best thing to have ever come out of Gonzo, as far as I'm concerned. I'm not a literary expert, but to me the restructuring of the storyline actually makes for a more suspenseful experience than the original Dumas. Plus, you know, rocket ships. Smile
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Although it receives praise from all those who watch it, I'm not in a position to spend $60+ on Gankutsuou blindly, considering my current buying schedule. It'd be nice if a legal online stream were to be released.

There were episodes to purchase for download at Funimation's site the last time I checked (which was Thursday). You could get a few to check it out, perhaps...? There's also libraries. You'd be amazed what libraries have, or will purchase if you request it.

Takeyo wrote:
I'm not a literary expert, but to me the restructuring of the storyline actually makes for a more suspenseful experience than the original Dumas.

It's the difference in writing styles from the 1840s to the present. No one nowadays would have a character give a long exposition speech about something that happened in the past before it was revealed to the rest of the cast as a plot point. This is particularly noticeable in regards to Haydee's back story. The book feels "dated" as a result, although bear in mind that most (though not all) of the plot lines in Gankutsuou are drawn directly from the book. Mahiro Maeda was clearly a huge fan (watch the interview with him, if it's included in Funimation's release).

Last edited by vashfanatic on Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
grave_digger18

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:

As for Gankutsuou, it's one of those shows I've never been able to recommend highly enough. It's the best thing to have ever come out of Gonzo, as far as I'm concerned. I'm not a literary expert, but to me the restructuring of the storyline actually makes for a more suspenseful experience than the original Dumas. Plus, you know, rocket ships. Smile

On the note of space ships and advanced technology, throughout the entire series i couldn't help but think what happened to cell phones? Why did franz run around everywhere and not just call people?
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:01 pm Reply with quote
grave_digger18 wrote:
Takeyo wrote:

On the note of space ships and advanced technology, throughout the entire series i couldn't help but think what happened to cell phones? Why did franz run around everywhere and not just call people?

LOL, I'd never thought about, but you're right, what happened to cell phones? Maybe they don't work on the moon?
ninjapet

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:01 pm Reply with quote
the Negima!? anime is much much better then the first one. Even if it doesn't follow a manga (it does if you count Neo but it knocks the star crystal plot out in the first two volumes)

I hope you guys do a review on part two of the box set
Takeyo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:07 pm Reply with quote
I've seen the extras, having picked up the original Geneon singles a while back. Totally shelf-worthy. I've watched the series a good three or four times now.

As for cell phones, um . . . maybe the Parisian nobility just prefers good old-fashioned human interaction. Weren't they still running around with calling cards and hand-written letters?
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Negima!?
Without the fanservice, I feel like I'm able to enjoy the characters' stories more—I also feel like I get to know the girls better in this version, because they each get a very distinct turn in the spotlight.

Precisely how I felt. There ended up being a number of girls who I never even noticed were in the first series. Haruna, Ako, Lengshen, Chizuru, and the military girl who's name escapes me at the moment; never even noticed them in the first series, but they turned out to be quite enjoyable characters, especially Haruna Wink . And of course I have to once again clamour about how much cooler Setsune is in this version, she's my favorite Razz .
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:21 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't have said there was an immense amount of fanservice in the first Negima anime. It aired on TV Tokyo for one thing, and while they added a bit of extra fanservice for the DVDs it amounted to a couple of brief extra panty shots that were more of a token gesture than anything else.
Or maybe it just pales in comparison to the service fest of the manga.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ninjapet

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:51 pm Reply with quote
The Negima!? anime is uncut from it's T.V airing. The pactio card scenes are in the nude most of the time, with many shots showing not shadowed outlines of them transforming in to there cosplay or armor card outfits.

It does go up to the amount shown in the manga, and I'm fine with it. It's up holding what makes Negima, Negima.

The English dub is far better this time around to They ended up getting more freedom on scripting as stated on the commentary
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4