• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Expo 2009 - Harmony Gold USA

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alifemde

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:53 pm Reply with quote
So NOBODY there asked them about their stranglehold on the Macross brand, and if there was any possibility of anybody bringing over Macross Frontier anytime in the near (or far) future? Fanboys, you're slipping.....
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Why bother? Nothing in the situation has changed. It's not just their end either. Frontier isn't coming here anytime soon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure the strangehold was because of Tatsunoko and Big West, and some other stuff. Harmony Gold can't "Robotechize" Macross Frontier in anyway, and the music licensing on top of the show licensing would be outrageous. I wouldn't let that show go cheap in any way. I don't expect to see it over here any time soon.
Xanas

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:08 pm Reply with quote
They'll get nothing at all for it if they don't let it go for a reasonable price. Which is what I imagine will happen.
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:35 am Reply with quote
Considering that DYRL has been around for 25 years, and only been briefly and questionably licensed before this hubbub started, and with Zero being a one hot property, yet still never being licensed, I'd say that not too bloody likely. Macross is expensive, tied up in legal problems on both sides of the Pacific, and pretty much a niche title. Besides, Frontier is selling well in Japan, so they'll hardly get nothing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:51 am Reply with quote
Yeah, if anyone was going to licenses these titles, they'd have done so already. And how do you go about dubbing them either? Macross 7 is almost entirely in song, and Frontier has a good deal of it too. Unless you got some real good singers, it's doing to flat out SUCK. Maybe they'd be better as un-dubbed works.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:25 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Yeah, if anyone was going to licenses these titles, they'd have done so already. And how do you go about dubbing them either? Macross 7 is almost entirely in song, and Frontier has a good deal of it too. Unless you got some real good singers, it's doing to flat out SUCK. Maybe they'd be better as un-dubbed works.

Just do what ADV's release of SDF Macross did, dub all the talking, but sub all the singing. Easy Peasy. Granted, Minmay had he same VA on Sub and Dub, so the transition wasn't that jarring.

I'm honestly confused about the supposed 'cost' of Macross F's music, wouldn't it be part of the package deal of licensing Mac F? You shouldn't have to individually license each song. They're all owned by the same company.

I mean, that could be the problem with Macross 7, from the days before DVD made licencing in R1 a big deal. (lack of foresite is a huge bug-a-boo for many shows before the advent of easy home video distribution.

But I can't imagine its an issue for Macross F.
OrsonHyuri

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:35 am Reply with quote
Would have liked to see a teaser poster for the Robotech movie.

It usually helps to show that they are at least working on it rather than just in development talk.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1