• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Z Edition

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:18 am Reply with quote
I agree wholeheartedly on LoGH and DYRL, but it's sad to know they'll never be brought over, ever. If you're a diehard anti fansub person, you're going to miss out unless you like stuff comparable to Warriors of the Wind. Oddly enough, I'm playing that in my anime club tomorrow simply because it deserves to be seen. I chose early in the semester for a reason, because more people show up than later on.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:45 am Reply with quote
Legend of the Galactic Heroes is definitely my most pressing desire to have licensed for R1. It's my second favorite anime series, a real sweeping epic that actually feels enriching just watching it.

As much as I'd like Space Adventure Cobra licensed, Max should be aware that the so-called "fifth version" of the Saiyan Saga DBZ fans are buying is the Dragon Box, damn it.

I also agree about Macross: Do You Remember Love? It's still beautiful.

I don't know about Ideon, though. To be honest, I found the TV series to be almost unwatchably corny and Be Invoked nothing but a lurid snuff film. Though, I suppose the same might be said of Evangelion, to some degree.

What I'd like to see is a proper release of the TV series Space Battleship Yamato. Voyager Entertainment had the movies, but of the TV series, it was all Star Blazers DVDs.

I wouldn't mind Turn A Gundam, either. That and more Lupin III.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
underbase

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:01 am Reply with quote
Dag nabbit, I was gonna write in telling how much I wanted to see Violinist of Hamelin get a release here.

How can you not love a show where a guy carries a piano around on his back in order to fight evil with the power of classical music? That show is so awesome it hurts.

Beyond that we definitely need a release of the second half of Cat's Eye. Anything by Tsukasa Hojo is gold in my opinion.

Also, major seconds on wanting some Dirty Pair TV.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:22 am Reply with quote
About the fluke, isn't that just the normal con cold? You put thousands (and thousands) of people together and over half only make a small attempt at personal hygiene, eating and sleeping. It's easy to catch a cold that way. Even if you don't catch a cold, you'll still feel like crap when you get home. Lack of sleep and proper food does that to you.

As for the Japanese, they appear to be extremely scared of germs, so they take all sorts of weird (and next to useless) precautions. It's just something they do.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:22 am Reply with quote
Many titles mentioned by replies of Answerfans are available "outside of Japan" unless, of course, one defines "outside of Japan" as "United States." Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Splitter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:41 am Reply with quote
Brian, Brian, Brian... I've said it once, I'll say it again.

There is something seriously wrong with anyone that thinks Elfen Lied is arousing.
Seljuk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:42 am Reply with quote
Hrum, meant to write this week for a manga title- Living Game. The collector in me screams for it, especially because it is my favorite manga of all time. But I suppose I'll have to settle for my digital copies. Sad
Wooga

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:44 am Reply with quote
Quote:
poor foolish Dragon Ball Z fans can finally stop spending money on the 5th version of the Saiyan saga.

No!! The Dragon Boxes are worth every penny!!

(I never bought any of the other crappy releases, mama didn't raise no fools)
The_Libertarian_Otaku

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:57 am Reply with quote
Why the hell wasn't Rose of Versailles ever brought here to the States anyway? Just because something's old does NOT mean it should be looked down on! Same goes for The Door into Summer, Nineteen 19, LOTGH, Bobby's in Deep, Gundam ZZ (How did Zeta Gundam even do anyway?), the original Captain Harlock (Read: Not the Americanized adaptation, Captain Harlock and the Queen of a Thousand Years), the Galaxy Express 999 TV series, the rest of Lupin III (The green jacket series, the rest of the red jacket, and the pink jacket show) and every other Macross series that isn't SDF or Plus! (Also, FUNimation needs to get off their asses and get the rest of Kodocha yesterday!) And then there's the matter of Sailor Moon Sailor Stars...along with the rest of Sailor Moon, so that future generations can watch it in its original, unaltered, un-Macekred format. (If anyone can pull that off, FUNi can, since they and Toei are like this. -----> **whips out crossed fingers**)

Stupid kids these days with their precious Naruto, K-ON!, and Kaze No Stigma don't appreciate the classics! How dare they! Evil or Very Mad Without these olschool shows, they wouldn't have the stuff they're watching now!

Why the hell doesn't anyone get the whole legal mess surrounding Macross sorted out yesterday? Or, better yet, just screw the whole thing and release it all here anyway instead of being so stingy about it!
Tamaria

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:00 am Reply with quote
I've heard Rose of Versailles is very expensive to license, but I wonder if that is true. The manga (and anime as well?) is available in Germany, France and a bunch of other countries.
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:02 am Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
There is something seriously wrong with anyone that thinks Elfen Lied is arousing.

I knew there was something wrong with me! But finally I know What!!!

I see people mention Macross and LoGH as being good series. I'll check out Do You Remmeber Love, as I really liked that Answerman reply.
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:35 am Reply with quote
@The question about American animation, I know it's over a decade old, but the Spawn series that aired on HBO is excellent and clearly shows that Western animators can handle more mature material.

Actually, include the 90s Batman series and Gargoyles. Plus I'm sure there's tons more.

Such as, The Boondocks (Seriously)

If you want an amazing drama, check out the third season of Moral Orel (Also totally serious about that)

And finally... 12 Oz. Mouse

Not. Joking.
diligent sesame

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:57 am Reply with quote
I typed most of this Friday but then I realized I had typed a ridiculous amount so I was going to edit it, but then school started and I forgot to e-mail my answer. I would still very much like to share my answer and see if there are fellow fans who feel the same.
Quote:
What is the one older title (i.e. pre-2000) in which you are absolutely FURIOUS over the fact that it is not available outside of Japan?

Well off the top of my head I'd have to say Anal Sanctuary because it sure sounds like more fun than half the fantasy shoujo manga series I've never wanted to finish.

I kid. I've had a very ready answer to this question for years now.

Daa! Daa! Daa!

Also known as UFO Baby, this series is so dear to me that in 2006 when I returned to Taiwan after not having been there for 5 years, I sought to find all 9 volumes of the manga in Chinese and the 2 volumes of it's sequel, Shin Daa! Daa! Daa!.

When I was a little kid, I used to travel to Taiwan a lot so I grew up with a lot of anime and manga since they have long been popular all over Asia. I remember fondly buying goods of my favorite shows and then feeling disappointed when there was little to be found in the US. It's an out-of-place feeling that makes me believe that what I'm yearning for is not only a visit to Taiwan again but nostalgia. Daa! Daa! Daa! reminds me of this.

The manga series ran in Nakayoshi from 1998-2002 and was adapted into a 78-episode anime series which ran from 2000-2002. The total circulation of the manga reached approx. 2.8 million copies. Basically it was a pretty popular shoujo series for a young audience. And when was the anime bubble where we saw the most R1 releases of sometimes random things? Like 2000-2004, right? So it would seem logical for some company to have licensed this series. Yet neither the manga or anime (which are both thoroughly enjoyable since the anime has some of its own stories) have been licensed so far.

I can see maybe why it hasn't been licensed yet. Cardcaptor Sakura, another series from Nakayoshi, had big success and it is an even earlier series than Daa! Daa! Daa!. However CLAMP, the mangaka, have had several successful series after that. Daa! Daa! Daa!'s mangaka, Mika Kawamura, has not, making it harder for a company to want to pick up an older series nowadays. Let's see... Kodocha, another young shoujo manga was released in the US in 2002. Later, the anime's first season was released in 2006 but due to a lack of sales the second season release was canceled.
But hope is on the horizon! I just discovered that Del Rey announced at Comic-Con that they have acquired one of her more recent series Panic x Panic from 2005. Sort of a weird choice since from what info I can find online it's only 2 volumes long and has no anime adaptation. I'd really like to know the reason behind this or if there is hope that Del Rey will license Daa! Daa! Daa!.

So back to Taiwan: In 2006, years after Daa! Daa! Daa! had ended I went to manga shops trying to find every volume. I managed to find one in basically the underground market (the manga was right next to computer goods). But I only found the first 8 volumes and the sequel, so I was missing the last volume of the first series. Then it was even more difficult trying to find just the last volume! I was about to give up until somebody pointed out to me that it was the last day of the Taipei Comic Exhibition. Only one booth was carrying older releases and when I got there I saw the complete set 1-9, and individual volumes 1-8.

"Do you have any more individual 9's?"
"No, it's the last day of the exhibition."

Well I bought the complete set. Anime hyper

P.S. If anyone happens to have Vol. 9 in Traditional Chinese, I BUY.
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:01 am Reply with quote
It's the sad truth about western animation - you might get anime fans to support a long form series - but too many people would pass it by because they either have the "cartoons are for kids and weirdos" stigma or the "it's not Japanese, therefore it can't be good" stigma, thus not making it profitable for the executives to budget something like that.

Maybe if the Avatar creator duo wins the lottery and bankrolls their own projects...

As for Answerfans, my "OMG so old and no one would ever license it series" got licensed - Yawara! A Fashionable Judo Girl (I love you AnimEigo) I didn't think Sailor Moon applied because it had been licensed before, but if we're including expired licenses, then yes, I would like to see a rerelease - with a dub that had actors trying to act based on character and not worried over imitating the Japanese, like with Cloverway.

Rose of Versailles would be amazing. Marmalade Boy and Nurse Angel Ririka SOS so that I could compete my shoujo collection...
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:45 am Reply with quote
Yeah there are definitely some highlights among Western Animation, but I think no matter how hard they try, it'll never have huge mainstream appeal. I don't think the majority of people will ever get over the whole mindset of "All Animation="Cartoons"=Kiddy (with the rare exception of Prime Time Animated Sitcoms" Just like the people who think Anime is some kind of perverse past time of Tentacles and fanservice.

Anyway, I'm kicking myself for missing this week's question, I always seem to do that. I look at it and go "Cool question, think I'll answer it later when I can collect my thoughts", and I forget.

I would say having a large chunk of subtitled Classic Tatsunoko titles would be nice. It's kind of annoying when in interviews for Tatsunoko vs Capcom they say "Well, we watched a lot of episodes to make the character's portrayal of characters as accurate as possible. Lots of hidden episode references. Watch the DVDs if you can."

A couple of obscure VHS Anime titles I'd like to see re-released is the Final Fantasy OVA based of FFV and the Fire Emblem OVA. The latter really frustrates me. I know it's nothing amazing, but it's just so facepalm-worthy that ADV released this on VHS just a few years BEFORE Fire Emblem became well known in the states. They really could've made a killing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5