• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Firm Uses Gundam Model-Making to Test Job Applicants

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Casey

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:48 am Reply with quote
God. I certainly hope it ain't the MG variation from a while back ago... That damn thing took me two days to build.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:14 am Reply with quote
This is certainly an interesting way an interesting job application process. It took more several days to build my already painted Gundam Seed model,
BebopMstr

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:25 am Reply with quote
This strikes me as something they shouldn't have announced to the press. Now the applicants can buy that specific model and practice putting it together beforehand. Wouldn't it be a better test of aptitude to not inform them and see how well they do with something they've never put together?

Maybe announce that they'll have to put together a model and paint it, but not clarify that it's gonna be from Gundam, or at least leave out the specific model...
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:50 am Reply with quote
Various businesses have their own way of job applications even if it applies to only select applicants.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:00 am Reply with quote
I think I just found my dream job. Who knew I'd ever take such an interest in teeth?!
halo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:10 am Reply with quote
I don't think completing it is the point. They're putting people into groups to see how well they can perform with others in an assembly line environment.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:39 am Reply with quote
BebopMstr wrote:
This strikes me as something they shouldn't have announced to the press. Now the applicants can buy that specific model and practice putting it together beforehand. Wouldn't it be a better test of aptitude to not inform them and see how well they do with something they've never put together?

Maybe announce that they'll have to put together a model and paint it, but not clarify that it's gonna be from Gundam, or at least leave out the specific model...
No. Putting it together is putting it together. Whether they practiced or not makes no difference. In fact, it might look better if the DID practice..would show they really want the job.
John Casey

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:06 am Reply with quote
BebopMstr wrote:

That's retarded. Do you take an SAT test without studying prior? How about a soccer game? Do you play a game without training first?
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:13 am Reply with quote
now that is a test it took me 2 hours to build 2 models
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:34 pm Reply with quote
I wonder, one would think it would take 3 hours plus for the primer and paint to dry unless, they're painting post-assembly using the gunpla paint markers?

I didn't see whether or not in the article, if the model they had to assemble a FG, HG, or MG. It's not too hard to assemble an FG or HG and paint it in three hours. an MG that's going to be a bit tough. And forget painting and assembling a PG in like under a day if you worked non-stop without sleep.

(Note, being a Char custom Zaku, I doubt it would be a FG as I don't think they ever made those in FG)
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:29 pm Reply with quote
What on earth does putting together a model have to do with making fake teeth? Obviously, I don't know anything about making fake teeth, but it certainly seems totally unrelated to me. And, personally, it would tick me off to have to do something in a job interview or application process which had nothing to do with the job that I was applying for.
John Casey

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
What on earth does putting together a model have to do with making fake teeth? Obviously, I don't know anything about making fake teeth, but it certainly seems totally unrelated to me. And, personally, it would tick me off to have to do something in a job interview or application process which had nothing to do with the job that I was applying for.

If you don't know about something in particular, then don't post a disdainful statement regarding that something particular originating from ignorance. ...Makes you look like...kinda stupid, and like a jerk. Y'know?

You'd be surprised how much in common model building has with any and all forms of dentistry. Most kiddies these days know models as only something you break out of a frame, snap together, and slap on stickers. But, with more complex models, you gotta know where which part goes, especially since many are similar. You have to know which parts to paint; which one snaps onto another. How much glue or putty to use; etc etc.

The same with tooth fillings, dentures, braces, and anything in between. It's a process; you have to follow a very specific order, and in a timely manner. When someone is getting their braces done, I'm pretty damn certain they don't want a half-assed job that took seven hours. It must be done in a realistically timed manner, and in a very specific order.

Give an applicant a Gundam model, and 2-3 hours to build it to perfection, and it's actually pretty damn easy to tell that way if someone is cut out to take the next step in their education.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:36 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
You'd be surprised how much in common model building has with any and all forms of dentistry. Most kiddies these days know models as only something you break out of a frame, snap together, and slap on stickers. But, with more complex models, you gotta know where which part goes, especially since many are similar. You have to know which parts to paint; which one snaps onto another. How much glue or putty to use; etc etc.

The same with tooth fillings, dentures, braces, and anything in between. It's a process; you have to follow a very specific order, and in a timely manner. When someone is getting their braces done, I'm pretty damn certain they don't want a half-assed job that took seven hours. It must be done in a realistically timed manner, and in a very specific order.

Give an applicant a Gundam model, and 2-3 hours to build it to perfection, and it's actually pretty damn easy to tell that way if someone is cut out to take the next step in their education.
This I have to agree. I have a cousin who's currently studying dentistry in Japan(of all places), and there's this one thing that he's very good at which I can never be as good; his small hands and tiny fingers are perfect for jobs that require dexterity. When I OTOH got weightlifter fingers that breaks gardening tools whenever I decide to dig some holes in the garden.

However, I still like building my Gunpla. Just not as good as how my cousin would be, if he ever decides to pick it up as a hobby.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:42 pm Reply with quote
3 hours with 3-5 people, assuming it's a HGUC, shouldn't too be hard at all. Maybe the painting, but the actually snipping and putting together is easy.
RedLeader

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:48 am Reply with quote
Geez. If it was just putting it together, that'd be one thing but PAINTING it?! That's one of the reasons I LOVE Japanese kits... Prepainted parts. :p I suuuuuuuuuck at painting. Anime hyper
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2