• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tears to Tiara (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kilaria

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:29 am Reply with quote

Tears to Tiara (TV)

Genres: adventure, drama, fantasy, romance
Themes: bishounen, medieval, war, war-medieval

Plot Summary: Set in a fictitious land during a medieval-like era of magic and fantasy, Tears to Tiara unfolds with the Divine Empire’s rise to power as it conquers and rules lands far and wide. On the island of Erin, still ruled by the Ancient Kingdom, the Goidelic people are attempting to sacrifice priestess Riannon to revive protagonist and demon king Arawn to lead the resistance against the Empire. Although the ritual fails and Riannon survives, the seal imprisoning the demon king is broken and Arawn is resurrected. Armed with mysterious and devastating powers and a human’s demeanour, Arawn joins Riannon; her brother and battalion commander, Arthur; as well as their team of fighters comprising a swordsman, an archer and a quintet of magical pixies, in the epic struggle against the Divine Empire.
----------------------------------

Anime Marathon Discussion (Nov. 6th, 2015 - Nov. 15th, 2015) starts here

----------------------------------

I just finished watching the series, and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. I wouldn't consider it one of the best anime I've ever seen, but I enjoyed it. It has also been quite a while since I've come across a good epic fantasy themed series.

First off, I was surprised to find out that this is a reimagination of the Arthurian legend. I didn't know this going into it, but it also made it more enjoyable for me since I love stories of Arthur and Avalon.

The character development was done well. Everyone had their own individual personality and were a joy to watch. Even most of the enemy characters were not 100% evil, but fell somewhere in a gray area.

The only thing I think this story lacked was more romance. There were hints about it, enough for you to know who was a couple and had feelings for eachother, but that's about it.

If you are looking for a good fantasy anime, and like the Arthurian legends you will probably enjoy this. Has anyone else seen this anime? What did you think?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Key

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:43 am Reply with quote
I have seen the first half (reviewed here) and it was decent enough that I'll probably watch the second half when it comes out on DVD, presumably in February or March of next year. It often feels like it's a little better than what it probably should be, and it does look nice, but it also has too much of a "based on a game" feel to it.

It also has the misfortune of coming out on DVD in a year that was fairly strong on fantasy series. Spice and Wolf, the last 15 episodes of Moribito, and Romeo x Juliet all stand above it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LKK

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:57 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
It also has the misfortune of coming out on DVD in a year that was fairly strong on fantasy series. Spice and Wolf, the last 15 episodes of Moribito, and Romeo x Juliet all stand above it.

I agree that Spice and Wolf and Moribito are better series than Tears to Tiara. (I haven't seen Romeo x Juliet yet, so I won't comment on that.) But there's something about Tears to Tiara that I found just plain out & out fun. Tears knew what it was and not only accepted that fact, it reveled in it. Plus it managed to keep its production values at a constant level throughout the series. Something that I've come to appreciate more and more the more I watch anime. Tears will never become a classic series. (Although I would argue that Arawn could become a fan-favorite lead character given time.) But for a fun way to spend some hours, Tears is a good choice if you want a fantasy series.
kilaria

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:30 pm Reply with quote
The show was actually slow getting started... but once you get to the halfway mark and beyond, that's when it gets really interesting. I watched it online, but will definitely buy it when the full series is available on DVD.

Haven't seen Romeo x Juliet yet, but it's on my 'to buy' list. I've heard nothing but good things about it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Showsni

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:58 pm Reply with quote
I've only played the PC game... Archers are really useful, I find. And random villager units that you train up always end up being better than the actual characters.

The anime puts me off a little because they've changed all the character designs; it follows the later PS3 version of the game.

I liked all the Arthurian and Celtic touches; setting something in England (or alternate versions) generally appeals to me, and having studied Roman Britain for A Level it's a period of history I quite like.

The main game's pretty easy, but the bonus tower you unlock afterwards is hard as anything. And it gives you each character's best weapon, but they have a level limit which you've probably already surpassed if you've been using them much.
catstigereye

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:02 pm Reply with quote
this is one anime thats worth adding to someone collection.

enjoy.
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:06 am Reply with quote
Anime Marathon Discussion (Nov. 6th, 2015 - Nov. 15th, 2015)

Spoilers Reminder for Marathon Discussion: Tag all spoilers within your post(s) and record the episode number(s) you're discussing at the top of your post.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1