• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Bullet Witch

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swienke

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:51 am Reply with quote
The X Button wrote:
You know what I like? Learning more about games that will never see the light of day. Know what else I like? Final Fantasy XII, no matter what anyone says. So when there's a canceled Final Fantasy XII game out there, it demands my attention.

Ah, glad to know that I'm not the only one who really liked Final Fantasy XII. It seems to me that the only comments I ever see anyone make about that game are some variation of "it sucks" or "I hated it." But those pictures...is it just me, or do the sketches of Ashe look a little too much like a sexed-up Queen Amidala from Star Wars (shudders)?
John Casey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:15 am Reply with quote
Man....Since I first popped Beyonetta into my PS3 (blasphemy, I know), it's without a doubt the first game I haven't been able to put down in over a year. It's that much fun...

But Todd....Todd, by man, you also forgot to add one little snippet...: Paradiso - Sea of Stars remains one of the single coolest/prettiest looking levels in any game to date. Any.

And I dare someone to find one more imaginative. >:3

...And don't say Isla del Sol. >:<
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:36 am Reply with quote
if Bayonetta actually had anything to call its own (gameplay-related or otherwise) then my interest might have extended beyond the demo. Sadly it seems this was not to be as I could call every element it lifted from DMC, GoW, and Ninja Gaiden right off the bat and even then it seems to lose direction on which side of the three-way it wants to be. Hopefully Capcom will hurry up with DMC5 so I can have some real fun.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:30 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Yes, Bandai released a Lupin III game for the PlayStation 2 here many years ago, but that was back when Lupin III was airing on Adult Swim and the U.S. anime industry had more than two productive publishers. Those days are over. Over. Do you hear me? Over!

The fact that it bombed didn't stop some random company from releasing one of the Ippo games here. Besides, porting a DS game is less expensive than a PS2 game, because you don't have to deal with Sony's wonky programming. Or, for that matter, massive competition on the retail shelf from the new Final Fantasy/MGS game(s) which more people are willing to pay $50 to own than your game. Besides, as you yourself pointed out with Layton, there's clearly more of a market for this type of title on the DS than there was for the PS2. And you forgot that a new Lupin OVA's coming out which happens to be a prequel, and is a perfect time to re-introduce the franchise here. BTW, Namdai, Atlus, and NIS now have Twitter feeds where you can request they bring it over here.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:54 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Microsoft hasn't backed a major Japanese RPG since Lost Odyssey, which didn't quite dethrone Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest. Yet there's another game on the horizon, as Feelplus, the developer of Lost Odyssey, recently sought a designer for a big Microsoft-connected RPG. Feelplus isn't the only company with a big game in the works, as Mistwalker, which co-created Lost Odyssey, also has an undisclosed RPG in development. Hmmm...

That's excellent news. Lost Odyssey was admittedly very traditional but it was also a very solid game.
daedelus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:06 am Reply with quote
Well Todd, you had me going for a second with that Bayonetta review!

While the story, so far, has me scratching my head, the gameplay is awesome. At the very least, it is a great tide-over till the next DMC. Still, I think it(gameplay wise) stands up on it's own. I just hope the story starts making sense soon and "Joe Pesci" has fewer lines.

Also, as a nice touch, during the long load times you can practice her moves.

I'm really looking forward to more news about those RPGs in the works.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:22 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Magdalena

Yep, remember that one. Razz

Bayonetta's story is utterly secondary to the action, without a doubt; most of the enjoyment I get out of the cutscenes is that the downtime is perfect for admiring all of the game's beautiful art--although the cheesy dialogue is good for a laugh, too.

But really, it's all about the action and those visuals. And single-button dodging, which is such a blessing.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:35 am Reply with quote
swienke wrote:
But those pictures...is it just me, or do the sketches of Ashe look a little too much like a sexed-up Queen Amidala from Star Wars (shudders)?

Isn't that what they did with pretty much all the characters?
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:28 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Some embarrassing arguments point to her role as an empowering step forward for women in video games, and yet she's just as vapidly written and cliché-infected as any comparable male action-game hero.

Equality!
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:24 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Know what else I like? Final Fantasy

Choose your roman numerals wisely...

Quote:
XII, no matter what anyone says

Ah, good, I was worried for a moment there you'd been sucked in by the glitz and glamor of XIII.

I will agree that while I may dislike twelve, I could tell it was bursting with content. But it was such a busy game that after forty hours, my head was ready to explode. My friend understood my feelings, but he still also enjoyed it.

Another thing, the whole drama of GRIN being shut down kinda bums me out. Seeing that they potentially had plans, only to be canned by their owner...

It kinda makes me think, why did Squeenix Europe save Eidos (A company full of failures) but not GRIN? How come Eidos got a multiple get out of jail free cards but not them?

I played the demo for Weapons of Fate and not counting Terminator Salvation (which lets face it wasn't THEIR fault, it was the fault of the movie company probably demanding it too soon) I don't see why they got canned for those games. GRAW was a fairly successful series and their Bionic Commando games were pretty good too.

And yet they sink but a dead horse like Eidos lives on. **** that I say, they weren't given enough time to flourish as a company. I don't care how awesome Arkham Asylum was, it's still just seems really unfair...
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:26 am Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:
Quote:
Know what else I like? Final Fantasy

Choose your roman numerals wisely...

Quote:
XII, no matter what anyone says

Ah, good, I was worried for a moment there you'd been sucked in by the glitz and glamor of XIII.

Indeed. I too share your knee jerk hatred for games I've yet to play.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:38 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Indeed. I too share your knee jerk hatred for games I've yet to play.

Heh, you really need to get around to playing Super Paper Mario:
John Casey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:38 am Reply with quote
daedelus wrote:
Well Todd, you had me going for a second with that Bayonetta review!

While the story, so far, has me scratching my head, the gameplay is awesome. At the very least, it is a great tide-over till the next DMC. Still, I think it(gameplay wise) stands up on it's own. I just hope the story starts making sense soon and "Joe Pesci" has fewer lines.

AiddonValentine wrote:
if Bayonetta actually had anything to call its own (gameplay-related or otherwise) then my interest might have extended beyond the demo. Sadly it seems this was not to be as I could call every element it lifted from DMC, GoW, and Ninja Gaiden right off the bat and even then it seems to lose direction on which side of the three-way it wants to be. Hopefully Capcom will hurry up with DMC5 so I can have some real fun.

It'd be nice if reality could slap the both of you to your sense, but guess I'll have to take the lead. Confused

*British glove slap* DMC5 isn't gonna happen. It's damn fair to say that they've killed off the series something good with the latest installment, and the anime didn't exactly do anything to help.

Besides, no chance in hell it'll ever reach Bayonetta's heights, if for only one reason: DMC's full o' shit...Bayonetta isn't. The latter set out to do everything it promised as a whole, and with a bang. Yet the DMC series, other than the first, ironically a Kamiya game, usually fails at it.

And don't say "But DMC3!" Yes. It was good. Did it set out to do what it initially promised...? Not s'much... I mean...4 games now, and I'm still waiting for that long-promised bike sequence... But not only does Bayonetta pull it out randomly out of her oversized ass, but it does it oozing with some serious style.

And besides....Space Harrier!

Last edited by John Casey on Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:18 am; edited 2 times in total
UltimateSpaceLion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:06 am Reply with quote
I loved the characters, world and combat mechanics of FFXII, but I felt very let down by the story. It wasn't character-driven enough for me. Still enjoyed it much more than VIII though.

I was on the fence about whether I would get Bayonetta or not, but your review has swayed me. That said, I might wait to pick it up second-hand instead of buying brand new Wink
Shale

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:17 am Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
Besides, no chance it hell it'll ever reach Bayonetta's heights, if for only one reason: DMC's full o' shit...Bayonetta isn't. The latter set out to do everything it promised as a whole, and with a bang. Yet the DMC serier, other than the first, ironically a Kamiya game, usually fails at it.

And don't say "But DMC3!" Yes. It was good. Did it set out to do what it initially promised...? Not s'much... I mean...4 games now, and I'm still waiting for that long-promised bike sequence... But not only does Bayonetta pull it out randomly out of her oversized ass, but it does it oozing with some serious style.

As someone who's played every DMC and enjoyed the hell out of all the ones that don't havea 2 in the title, I have no idea what in God's name you're talking about. Bike sequence? "What it initially promised"? So if there's something in the previews that (apparently) doesn't make it into the final game, that automatically makes the finished product bad?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4