• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, February 8-14

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:59 am Reply with quote
Wow, they have so many series on BD over there. Too bad we'll never amount to anything more than gorram, half-assed, upconverted, interlaced, dub-only lossless audio products.
Jih2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:02 am Reply with quote
But doesn't Japan want it that way? That's what it sounds like from what I've heard anyway.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:46 am Reply with quote
Ugh...

Isshoni Sleeping at #4?

Just... ugh.
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Wow, they have so many series on BD over there. Too bad we'll never amount to anything more than gorram, half-assed, upconverted, interlaced, dub-only lossless audio products.

It's rather unfair to compare markets.
Japan mainly aims at the otaku who demand the best possible product, no matter the price.
The US market aims at your average anime fan who want quantity of content over quality, and at a cheap price.
You then need to take into account that FUNi are the only ones with enough financial clout to fully embrace Blu-ray, but even they would rather put out upscales of their past shows than pay for native HD masters of new shows.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:41 pm Reply with quote
True. The anime market here in the States is niche enough as it is. And aside from a few feature film releases by Bandai and Manga, FUNi is the only company still "thriving" at this point with enough monetary cushioning to afford such attempts. Still though, just because they can doesn't mean they're doing a good job either.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Man, they have just as many DB releases coming out left and right. Hell, when the LD failed here Japan was making it work. I guess with normal movie releases BD works. But anime it's pick and choose. The show that makes the money will get the BD release. Of course their BD releases are so beefed up. Makes me want to own a BD player. Well, I'll need a HD TV first.

Black Lagoon on BD is awesome either way. Glad to see 'Railgun' up there. Gawd, somebody please pick up those series -- 'Index' and 'Railgun'.

Too much fun anime coming out I can't keep up. Surprised
Buster D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Ugh...

Isshoni Sleeping at #4?

Just... ugh.

I don't mean to rain on your Japanese otaku pity party, but it's hardly surprising that this sold well considering it cost less than half of most JP BDs.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Buster D wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
Ugh...

Isshoni Sleeping at #4?

Just... ugh.

I don't mean to rain on your Japanese otaku pity party, but it's hardly surprising that this sold well considering it cost less than half of most JP BDs.

Well obviously, since it featured 1/100th of the animation of most JP BDs.

It didn't cost squat to make, of course they're not going to charge full price.
Buster D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

Well obviously, since it featured 1/100th of the animation of most JP BDs.

It didn't cost squat to make, of course they're not going to charge full price.

Gee, you should've been their producer. If you had told them character design, art direction, voice/SFX recording, packaging design, manufacturing, and distribution all cost "squat" then you could have made them even more profit by having them just give it away.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:39 am Reply with quote
There's only one character to design, there is no art direction, and there's only one VA.

You're not making a grand case.
Buster D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:48 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
there is no art direction,

Wrong.
美術監督 - 土師勝弘

Quote:
and there's only one VA.

You're not making a grand case.

Right, like some random person with no involvement in the Japanese anime industry making statements like "it didn't cost squat to make" is so much more convincing.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:00 am Reply with quote
If you don't understand that I was referring to relative costs compared to those on this same list, then that's your own misunderstanding =\

If you honestly feel that Isshoni Sleeping costs to make even a quarter what 2 episodes of Railgun or Black Lagoon costs to make... I'll just tell you you're crazy and be done with it.
Buster D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:08 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
If you don't understand that I was referring to relative costs compared to those on this same list, then that's your own misunderstanding =\

If you honestly feel that Isshoni Sleeping costs to make even a quarter what 2 episodes of Railgun or Black Lagoon costs to make... I'll just tell you you're crazy and be done with it.

Regardless of what you meant, there are far more factors than just retail cost vs production cost. Not the least of which is the fact that it's a 40-minute OVA which does not have the luxury of TV exposure like Black Lagoon and Railgun.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1