• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Training Your Dragon Ball

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coyote1284

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:55 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The clean-up of this film is by all means a good thing, but if you bought the first release and you're not a collector, and you don't have a Blu-ray player, you don't really need to pick up 1.11.

As in Eva:1.01, right, because if you are planning on following the movies, with only knowledge of the series, you are going to be in for some serious WTF dropping in to "You Can (Not) Advance". The subtle differences in "You Are (Not) Alone" prepare one for the larger divergence in the second film.

But if you have the 1.01 DVD release, agreed, you don't need 1.11, but if you have a friend who has it, you might as well watch it sometime for the extended cut.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:54 am Reply with quote
Quote:
1.11 has brightened some of the darker scenes, includes a Blu-ray disc, has three minutes of additional footage, and includes some animatic (timed storyboards) comparison videos and promotional trailers on an extras disc. Obviously most people are going to want to buy this edition of the movie.

Don't forget to mention that it includes a trailer of the 2nd movie! While some may say you don't need to see 1.11 if you've seen 1.0, at least in the second version they briefly touch upon what the angels are. So all things considered, especially since 1.11 has a snazzier cover, I'm glad I got 1.11 to replace my 1.0 edition.
ParadoxCafe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:27 am Reply with quote
YAY! My anime/manga collection was posted! Very Happy
Hardgear

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:40 am Reply with quote
Seems you actually reviewed Season 2 5th voyage of One Piece, though the picture and title say 6th.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:24 am Reply with quote
Ooh, archived j-pop.com review! That was a great little webzine. Was kind of depressing when the the domain name just started forwarding to Viz's online store.

Put off buying Otaku no Video so long the DVD is OOP. At least, my local DVD importer can't guarantee getting it. Can't order it directly from AnimEigo either. Good thing a lot of eBay sellers have it.
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:49 am Reply with quote
I would just like to state, for the record: the cold sore was not less obvious than you thought. It was totally gigantic and hard to not notice. I just couldn't think of a good enough herpes joke to make. Also, I think I had a canker sore inside of my mouth anyway, so who was I to talk? (For the record, I just had to Google Image Search "canker sore" to verify that I was using the proper term. This was ill-advised on my part.)

Last year, I made it a point to ask at my panels how many people in attendance had seen Akira and how many people had seen Evangelion, since each of those serve as US fandom "generational markers." For each title, the answer was about 50%. This year, while I didn't ask outright, I couldn't help but notice that very few people seemed to recognize either Revolutionary Girl Utena or Sailor Moon. This despite the fact that I saw multiple Utena and Sailor Moon cosplayers at the con who had no trouble getting their pictures taken by lots of people. It's become apparent to me that this is the result of the fact that all of these are now out of print in America and have been for several years. Well, Akira's out on Blu-Ray, but I've not seen it sold anywhere but online, where the only people who'd purchase it are people who already know what it is.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Otaking09

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:10 am Reply with quote
Not the best Shelf Life (considering the past), but given her situation, it could've been a LOT worst.

Kinda cheap, reviewing Eva 1.0 again, and while I'm okay with Dragon Ball and One Piece, you didn't really explain why other than it feels fresh, and it's suspenseful, respectively.

Hey, it's better than nothing, and we got a lot of Shelf Worthy's for once, but... eehhhh not the most anticipating. Rolling Eyes
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:24 am Reply with quote
ParadoxCafe wrote:
YAY! My anime/manga collection was posted! Very Happy

Nice collection! I may send mine in when it's all in one place... It's currently split between home and university...
purplepolecat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:52 am Reply with quote
Bravo Erin, you sure know your classic AMVs. Up until now I thought there was some unwritten rule at ANN that any reference to AMVs had to be sarcastic and dismissive. Razz
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:
eehhhh not the most anticipating. Rolling Eyes

You should look words up before you use them.
Otaking09

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Zac wrote:You should look words up before you use them.

Oops! Meant "exhilarating". My bad. Didn't know people cared...[/quote]
KoujiTamino

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:37 pm Reply with quote
I think I'm the only person in the world who not only couldn't stand Akira, but also prefers Steamboy. And no, I'm not joking. I don't know why, but Steamboy just clicked with me more, despite being known as the 'duller' of the two films. I've already watched it multiple times. Conversely, Akira left me wanting those 2 hours of my life back. And yes, I know those sentiments probably apply to others in the case of Steamboy, but I guess I'm weird.

Anyway, I too couldn't help but notice that the One Piece set being covered was actually Season 2: Fifth Voyage, not Sixth. Interesting to see everything in the Shelf Worthy section, but not surprising. Lots of good stuff this week.
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:39 pm Reply with quote
At least the Return of the King movie cut out the whole "The Scourging of the Shire" bit, otherwise the movie would have been an hour long after they destroy the ring. I always hated that part of the book because, as you say, the ring is DESTROYED. The climax is over, why won't the book end?!

I really need to pick up Evangelion sometime. As much as I enjoyed that series, I've yet to actually own any of it. Sad
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
(will Caldwell someday re-do his classic VHS rips?)
He retired from the AMV world a long time ago, so chances are pretty slim.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:
Quote:
Zac wrote:You should look words up before you use them.

Oops! Meant "exhilarating". My bad. Didn't know people cared...

Thankfully, the folks on the ANN boards actually do care. The fact that most people on here actually make an effort to spell correctly and put thought into their posts is one of the reasons I like it so much.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4